James Ehnes, Gramophone Artist of the year for 2021

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

slofstra

James Ehnes, Gramophone Artist of the year for 2021

Post by slofstra » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:31 am

Well deserved, IMO, and hopefully elevates Ehnes into the top tier of classical artists in terms of recognition. I think he doesn't quite have the name recognition of a Perlman, Stern or Bell, but with an extensive and superlative discography over some decades now, is worthy of it.

Ehnes is a Canadian, so I've had the opportunity to see him perform since his teens, with our local symphony, the TSO and also in recital. Memorable concerts every one.
He is one of perhaps half a dozen active artists whose recorded work I purchase on spec.
One of my favourite Ehnes recordings is this one, played many times over the years.

maestrob

Re: James Ehnes, Gramophone Artist of the year for 2021

Post by maestrob » Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:11 pm

Congratulations are due, certainly.

I must explore his Mozart, but I have many of Ehnes's other recordings and must say there's not a dud among them. He certainly knows how to pick effective conductors and pianists! :D

slofstra

Post by slofstra » Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:45 pm

I think this recording achieves a superlative integration between lead player and orchestra. Ehnes leads the orchestra and hand picked the players. The orchestral complement is also small in size and agile. Clearly this was a labour of love for Ehnes and the results speak for themselves. The recording was released in 2006, on CBC records.

Actually, it's been a while, so right now I'm luxuriating in its delights.

barney

Post by barney » Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:27 pm

He's a frequent visitor to Australia; I've heard him live a few times. Always excellent.

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:29 am

Good for Ehnes. He deserves the award. Sorry to say that I haven't collected him but only in a few cases, some of his Chandos discs. I have collected most of the celebrated recordings of violinists that are now deceased but collected them while they were living in most cases. Canada has given the music world some truly outstanding classical music artists. I have long had a passion for Canada and its people. Have been there many times ... brought back lots of recordings, especially from the Toronto area. Speng my honeymoon in Old Montréal. 2002 will see more Ehnes here!
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

slofstra

Post by slofstra » Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:00 pm

This one is a must-have for any fan of the violin.

This is a CD/DVD combo, but it's the DVD that is of primary interest. Ehnes plays each of the various violins in the Fulton collection with commentary on the character of the instrument and its history. And as he states, there's no point in buying a Ferrari and driving it at 20 mph to show what it can do. He 'test drives' each violin with an appropriate virtuoso selection to illustrate its unique sonorous qualities.
There are a few promo videos on youtube but unfortunately the video quality is poor, so spare yourself. It's a shame because the DVD itself was produced to a very high standard in video and audio production.

slofstra

Post by slofstra » Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:16 pm

And here is a review of the Mozart Violin Concertoes recording written by J. Scott Morrison who posted on CMG at one time.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-revi ... _d_rvw_ttl

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:33 am

Just heard the complete Mozart Concerti yesterday, thanks to your suggestion Henry.

Outstanding!

Wonderful recorded sound as well. These are CDs worth having.

slofstra

Post by slofstra » Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:53 am

maestrob wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:33 am
Just heard the complete Mozart Concerti yesterday, thanks to your suggestion Henry.

Outstanding!

Wonderful recorded sound as well. These are CDs worth having.
I'm so glad that you enjoyed them. Sharing our feelings about great music is what this is all about.

slofstra

Post by slofstra » Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:01 pm

Lance wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:29 am
Good for Ehnes. He deserves the award. Sorry to say that I haven't collected him but only in a few cases, some of his Chandos discs. I have collected most of the celebrated recordings of violinists that are now deceased but collected them while they were living in most cases. Canada has given the music world some truly outstanding classical music artists. I have long had a passion for Canada and its people. Have been there many times ... brought back lots of recordings, especially from the Toronto area. Speng my honeymoon in Old Montréal. 2002 will see more Ehnes here!
Indeed, Canada has, and I know the names of every one, and many more excellent artists that do not have international standing. This is more the result of attending live performances than explicit booster-ism. And I do miss that .. a lot.
I used to relish twice a year trips into Toronto explicitly for CD shopping. No more. Of course, it's now just a click away on my streaming service. However, no one asked me if that was the kind of progress I wanted. Did anyone ask you, Lance?

slofstra

Post by slofstra » Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:06 pm

barney wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:27 pm
He's a frequent visitor to Australia; I've heard him live a few times. Always excellent.
Super. I wonder if you've sent anyone in return. Off topic here but on the folk and acoustic side, Australian group 'the Maes' topped our survey this year.

https://gesprek.net/2021/12/23/artsfols ... on-videos/

https://fortemag.com.au/melbourne-folk- ... ke-a-baby/

Their music reminds me very much of Canadian folk legends, the McGarrigle sisters. And they deserve much more recognition, IMO, than they're getting. But that's not unusual.

barney

Post by barney » Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:47 pm

slofstra wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:06 pm
barney wrote:
Super. I wonder if you've sent anyone in return.
Excellent question which I fear I can't answer. I'm sure noted Australians must have played/sung in Canada. I can tell you that in 1967 my father, a conductor, toured Canada with the Australian Ballet. Does that count?

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:00 pm

barney wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:47 pm
slofstra wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:06 pm
barney wrote:
Super. I wonder if you've sent anyone in return.
Excellent question which I fear I can't answer. I'm sure noted Australians must have played/sung in Canada. I can tell you that in 1967 my father, a conductor, toured Canada with the Australian Ballet. Does that count?

Piers Lane, Geoffrey Tozer, Percy Grainger, Joan Sutherland appear in Canada ?

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:02 am

Actually, no one has asked me. Streaming is fine for many, but I want the actual product ... generally with thoughts for future radio programs.
slofstra wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:01 pm

[Truncated] I used to relish twice a year trips into Toronto explicitly for CD shopping. No more. Of course, it's now just a click away on my streaming service. However, no one asked me if that was the kind of progress I wanted. Did anyone ask you, Lance?
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:29 am

Lance wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:02 am
Actually, no one has asked me. Streaming is fine for many, but I want the actual product ... generally with thoughts for future radio programs.
slofstra wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:01 pm

[Truncated] I used to relish twice a year trips into Toronto explicitly for CD shopping. No more. Of course, it's now just a click away on my streaming service. However, no one asked me if that was the kind of progress I wanted. Did anyone ask you, Lance?
Truth is, gentlemen, that I now stream a new release each day, so as to have an indication of what CDs I will buy, but when I review a recording, I rely on the sound and booklet of the actual product. Rarely does streaming live up to the depth and clarity of a CD, if ever!