Ravel's Piano Works

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

James

Ravel's Piano Works

Post by James » Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:02 pm

Hi folks, just curious...what is your favorite recording are for these. I'm looking to aquire a good set myself. Thanks in advance.

Wallingford

Post by Wallingford » Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:15 pm

Well.......providing you're not a stickler for stereo sound, I'd unhesitatingly recommend ROBERT CASADESUS. He was a friend of the composer, and even "ghosted" on some of the surviving piano rolls supposedly played by the composer himself. Casadesus' set has been available on 2 Sony CDs for many years now.

If it's STEREO you want, you're in luck as far as limited dollars go (AND if you don't mind digitally-remastered analog sound, as opposed to pure digital), it'd possibly be ABBEY SIMON (on Vox/MMG) or PHILIPPE ENTREMONT (on Sony). Cheapy sets both, with good interpretive insight (if not nearly on Casadesus' level).
Good music is that which falls upon the ear with ease, and quits the memory with difficulty.
--Sir Thomas Beecham

rasputin

Post by rasputin » Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:33 pm

An other good Ravelist was IMO french Marcelle Meyer. Her Chabrier was
also excelent.

piston

Post by piston » Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:25 pm

We have entered a more visual world, lately, and there is new blood, young artists who not only play with inspiration but beautifully on the screen. (What's wrong with beauty if the body language and the artistic performance are in perfect synchrony?). I have been listening to this young woman playing Gaspard de la nuit. I understand that she will also be playing with Hillary Hahn before long. Do check this tube out! My God, I am in love! :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnkuJpGSSgY

anasazi

Post by anasazi » Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:54 am

I agree with Wallingford about the Casadesus recordings. And although it's not stereo, it is very good modern sounding recording (referring to the Columbia Odyssey LP box set). And it's not like stereo can add much to recorded piano anyway (no bongos on the left channel so to speak). This set also includes the piano 4 hands "Ma Mere l'oye" with Robert's wife, Gaby joining him for the recording.

Another LP I would recommend is Ruth Laredo's Ravel album for CBS that came out (in the 1980 's?). Really wonderful Ravel, especiall the Sonatine.

For more modern CD recordings, I really also recommend the two Virgin CDs released by Anne Queffelec for the solo pieces and then the Chandos CD of Louis Lortie and Helene Mercier of the music for four hands. These really do rival the Casadesus recordings I think.
"Take only pictures, leave only footprints" - John Muir.

val

Post by val » Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:15 am

My favorite version is the one of Vlado Perlemuter. A beautiful sound and the elegance of the pianist. "Miroirs" are here almost ideal. "Jeux d'eaux" also.

But regading "Gaspard de la nuit", one of Ravel's greatest masterpieces, I think no one reached the fabulous version of Argerich. The same regarding the version of Marcelle Meyer of the Sonatina and Tombeau de Couperin.

So, my choice would be the Perlemuter recordings, with Argerich and Meyer in the three mentioned works.

John F

Post by John F » Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:58 pm

Another vote for Casadesus. His record of "Le Tombeau de Couperin" is a particular favorite.
John Francis