Brahms 3 Violin Sonatas ... Russian Style!

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

Brahms 3 Violin Sonatas ... Russian Style!

Post by Lance » Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:48 pm

2006 was a busy year for the Italian-based Archipel label. Now we have all three of Johannes Brahms violin sonatas available on one disc Archipel 0355 [ADD, 79:38]. Sonatas 1 and 3 are probably Russian derived from the Melodiya label, and were recorded in 1955 and 1956 in Moscow while No. 2 was recorded in London in 1956. Andrei Mytnik is the pianist in all three sonatas. We have a bonus with this disc, too ... four Hungarian Dances, also by Brahms: Nos. 1, 2, 4, and 17, with Andrei Mytnik again at the piano. The Hungarian Dances were recorded live in 1951, 1953, and 1955.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Mischa

Post by Mischa » Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:16 am

Andrei Mytnik is the pianist in all three sonatas.
Lance, you should mention, that the pianist is faithfully accompanied by Leonid Kogan on the violin (interesting to see a violin sonata seen from the view of a pianist). :D
I don't know Kogans Sonatas-recording, just his violin concerto, which is outstanding. My brother loves Kogan, I'll make him buy the CD!

rasputin

Post by rasputin » Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:33 am

If you like Brahm's sonatas, russian style, besides LK and DO,
look for Boris and Julia Goldshtein. :) :)