LARA DOWNES

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Post Reply
maskedman
Posts: 147
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:00 pm
Location: INDIAN WELLS CA.

LARA DOWNES

Post by maskedman » Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:39 pm

I had heard some piano music by Lara Downes. She sounded terrific. Anyone familiar with her?

Lance
Site Administrator
Posts: 18236
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:27 am
Location: Binghamton, New York
Contact:

Re: LARA DOWNES

Post by Lance » Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:24 pm

maskedman wrote:I had heard some piano music by Lara Downes. She sounded terrific. Anyone familiar with her?
No, I don't know the name. Can you be specific about what kind of repertoire she plays or mention the CD label name and number?
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief
______________________________________________________

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Image

maskedman
Posts: 147
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:00 pm
Location: INDIAN WELLS CA.

Re: LARA DOWNES

Post by maskedman » Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:30 am

Lance wrote:
maskedman wrote:I had heard some piano music by Lara Downes. She sounded terrific. Anyone familiar with her?
No, I don't know the name. Can you be specific about what kind of repertoire she plays or mention the CD label name and number?
Lance
I was listening to a Benny Golson disc. The last song was a solo by Lara Downes. This song written by Golson had a very classical feel to it. I had not heard of ms Downes. Since then I have discovered that she has made quite a few discs. All classical....I was wondering if anyone had any info on her. Judging from what I heard on the Golson disc I will probably buy a few...She seems to have the chops....The price is certainly right...

Robert

DavidRoss
Posts: 3384
Joined: Mon May 30, 2005 7:05 am
Location: Northern California

Post by DavidRoss » Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:53 am

She's in residence at UC Davis where she performs several times a year. Sometimes she sits in with the Alexander Quartet when they play piano quintets--next year, for instance, they're doing the Brahms quintet. Yippee!

Sunday next (10 days from now) she's performing solo at the Mondavi in the first of a series presenting piano music by American composers.

It's nice to see her getting attention outside of Northern California.
"Most men, including those at ease with problems of the greatest complexity, can seldom accept even the simplest and most obvious truth if it would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions which they have delighted in explaining to colleagues, which they have proudly taught to others, and which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabric of their lives." ~Leo Tolstoy

"It is the highest form of self-respect to admit our errors and mistakes and make amends for them. To make a mistake is only an error in judgment, but to adhere to it when it is discovered shows infirmity of character." ~Dale Turner

"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either." ~Albert Einstein
"Truth is incontrovertible; malice may attack it and ignorance may deride it; but, in the end, there it is." ~Winston Churchill

Image

maskedman
Posts: 147
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:00 pm
Location: INDIAN WELLS CA.

Post by maskedman » Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:20 am

DavidRoss wrote:She's in residence at UC Davis where she performs several times a year. Sometimes she sits in with the Alexander Quartet when they play piano quintets--next year, for instance, they're doing the Brahms quintet. Yippee!

Sunday next (10 days from now) she's performing solo at the Mondavi in the first of a series presenting piano music by American composers.

It's nice to see her getting attention outside of Northern California.
David,
Have you ever seen or heard her play?

Robert

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 24 guests