New Yorker Cartoon

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

johnshade

New Yorker Cartoon

Post by johnshade » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:47 am

This cartoon was in the New Yorker several months after Karajan's Der Rosenkavalier LP set was released. Do any of you remember the public reception of these discs?
cartoon.JPG
cartoon.JPG (31.92 KiB) Viewed 5876 times
The sun's a thief, and with her great attraction robs the vast sea, the moon's an arrant thief, and her pale fire she snatches from the sun... (Shakespeare)

Lance
Site Administrator

Re: New Yorker Cartoon

Post by Lance » Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:52 pm

If this is the Karajan with Tomowa-Sintow, Baltsa, and Moll on DGG [also issued on CD 415 284], as I recall, the reception was excellent. Karajan was a fine interpreter of this music.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

THEHORN

Post by THEHORN » Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:08 pm

Actually, I believe this cartoon refers to the earlier EMI Rosenkavalier with Schwarzkopf, Ludwig and Otto Edelmann and the Philharmonia, which many critics and fans prefer to the the much later digital remake on DG. I actually admire both.
And the fact that the cartoon mentions side 8 rather than a CD probably confirms this.

johnshade

Post by johnshade » Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:45 pm

Yes. I am almost certain the cartoon refers to the Karajan EMI set with Schwarzkopf, Ludwig, Otto Edelmann, and the Philharmonia recorded in 1957. Side eight would contain the final trio and duet.

JS
The sun's a thief, and with her great attraction robs the vast sea, the moon's an arrant thief, and her pale fire she snatches from the sun... (Shakespeare)

lmpower

Post by lmpower » Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:22 pm

The Schwarzkopf, Ludwig, Edelmann version will always be the definitive performance for me. I was fortunate enough to see Schwarzkopf and Edelmann perform this work twice with the San Francisco opera. Frances Bible sang the Octavian role in those performances though.

Donald Isler

Post by Donald Isler » Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:41 pm

I don't know what's on side 8, but this reminds me of Jacques Frey. Does anyone else remember him?
Donald Isler

Corlyss_D
Site Administrator

Post by Corlyss_D » Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:01 pm

johnshade wrote:This cartoon was in the New Yorker several months after Karajan's Der Rosenkavalier LP set was released. Do any of you remember the public reception of these discs?
Some help with the year of release would be nice, John.

Don -

Side eight would be the Great Trio that concludes the opera, where the Marschallin relinquishes Oktavian to Sophie. A kind of apotheosis.

If the cartoon refers to the recording of the 1956 Salzburg Fesitival production with Schwarzkopf, Ludwig, and Edelmann, the reception was ecstatic. The recording carried the coveted rose in the Penguin Guide. I saw a film of the production, my first Rosenkavalier, in 1977. The theater was filled with little old ladies and little old men who spoke German. I went to see the film 4 or 5 times, and it was the same at every performance. It has been equalled and surpassed, IMO, by the Schenck Rose production for the Munich Olympic games in 1972, which was finally reduced to recording and film in 1979 with the original cast under Kleiber. I think I am not alone in believing that those really are the only two productions to consider when talking about Rosenkavalier. The rest are far back in the pack.
Corlyss
Contessa d'EM, a carbon-based life form

dulcinea

Post by dulcinea » Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:17 pm

johnshade wrote:This cartoon was in the New Yorker several months after Karajan's Der Rosenkavalier LP set was released. Do any of you remember the public reception of these discs?
cartoon.JPG
I was once persuaded to subscribe to NEW YORKER. After discovering the utter lameness of its articles and its cartoons, I cancelled after receiving exactly ONE issue. :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x
Let every thing that has breath praise the Lord! Alleluya!

THEHORN

Post by THEHORN » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:21 am

The New Yorker is certainly not lame when it comes to its music critic Alex Ross, one of the most respected classical music critics around, and author of the deservedly acclaimed book
"The Rest Is Noise". Have you read it? If not, get it post haste.
It's one of the best books on classical music ever written.

:?: :?: :o :shock: :?

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:17 am

[quote="johnshade"]This cartoon was in the New Yorker several months after Karajan's Der Rosenkavalier LP set was released. Do any of you remember the public reception of these discs?

The original Rosenkavalier film was also released on videotape at one time, if you can find it on DVD, it's absolutey gorgeous....