What NEW discs/music are you adding to your collection?

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Post Reply
josé echenique
Posts: 2521
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:01 am

Re: What NEW discs/music are you adding to your collection?

Post by josé echenique » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:37 am

Image

Anne Sofie von Otter´s last recital with Les Arts Florissants is not quite the success one hoped for. She sings splendidly and Les Arts Florissants play splendidly for her, so, what went wrong? Maybe the bits and pieces of Charpentier´s Medée don´t work well out of context. The Rameau arias are more successful. Lorraine Hunt was lucky to be in Christie´s complete recordings of Hippolyte et Aricie and Medée. It´s a pity for von Otter because she really seems to like this repertoire.

Chalkperson
Disposable Income Specialist
Posts: 17669
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:19 pm
Location: New York City
Contact:

Re: What NEW discs/music are you adding to your collection?

Post by Chalkperson » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:27 pm

josé echenique wrote:Image

Anne Sofie von Otter´s last recital with Les Arts Florissants is not quite the success one hoped for. She sings splendidly and Les Arts Florissants play splendidly for her, so, what went wrong? Maybe the bits and pieces of Charpentier´s Medée don´t work well out of context. The Rameau arias are more successful. Lorraine Hunt was lucky to be in Christie´s complete recordings of Hippolyte et Aricie and Medée. It´s a pity for von Otter because she really seems to like this repertoire.
Neither was the one before this, the Bach disc was disappointing too...

http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/alb ... _id=213287
Sent via Twitter by @chalkperson

Fergus
Posts: 4197
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:06 pm
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Re: What NEW discs/music are you adding to your collection?

Post by Fergus » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:08 pm

Chalkperson wrote:
Fergus wrote:Image
Better late than never, now you are all set for next Xmas... :wink:
I had told Seán that I was interested in this one Chalkie so I decided that if I did not buy it now it would go on the long finger like lots of other things so I simply took the plunge :D

Lance
Site Administrator
Posts: 18504
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:27 am
Location: Binghamton, New York
Contact:

Re: What NEW discs/music are you adding to your collection?

Post by Lance » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:22 am

FRITZ REINER, conductor
RCA Victor Orchestra
Robert Shaw Chorale

Strauss: Die Fledermaus (Highlights)
Regina Resnik, Patrice Munsel, Risë Stevens,
Jan Peerce, James Melton, Robert Merrill
English Libretto by Ruth and Thomas Martin
Recorded September 20, 1950
Manhattan Center, New York, NY
Original issue: RCA Victor LP LM-1114
Audio Restoration: Mark Obert-Thorn
Pristine Audio 037AS, 59:15, ADD
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief
______________________________________________________

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Image

Lance
Site Administrator
Posts: 18504
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:27 am
Location: Binghamton, New York
Contact:

Re: What NEW discs/music are you adding to your collection?

Post by Lance » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:47 am

Image

Who remembers (at least by recordings) the great FLONZALEY QUARTET? They were considered among the greatest string quartets from the time they formed. The Quartet was the deliberate creation of Éduard J. de Coppet of New York, who in 1902 engaged the original members to devote themselves entirely to quartet-playing, and not with any view to giving regular concerts in public. The group took its name from de Coppet's summer villa near Lausanne, in Switzerland, where the four musicians first rehearsed. After a long period of practice, the Quartet made a European tour and won high praise for the perfection of its ensemble and its artistic finish. Both violinists and the violist had been students of the Belgian maestro César Thomson. The group was first heard in New York, in private and at charity concerts, in autumn 1904, but it did not give a public concert in the USA until 5 December 1905. After that it appeared regularly in Europe and America. The members stuck to the original principle of not accepting any outside engagement, and having no pupils, and by devoting themselves entirely to the quartet maintained a position of acknowledged superiority in their field.

In 1914 the group asked Igor Stravinsky to write them a work. This resulted in his "Three pieces for String Quartet". A few years later they also commissioned him to write "Concertino", a one-movement work. Éduard de Coppet died in 1916, and his son André continued thereafter to maintain the Quartet. The original violist Ugo Ara left the group to join the Italian army, resulting in his replacement. The Quartet performed worldwide until disbanding in 1928 after a farewell tour that ended on April 14 in London. However, their recording of the Haydn 'Lark' quartet could still be described as 'in prep.' in 1936.

Well, all of that from Wiki is to say this. Pristine has issued a new Obert-Thorn transformation of several works, including:

♪ Smetana: String Quartet in E Minor {From My Life} (r. 1929 Camden NJ)
♪ Dohnányi: Sgtring Quartet No. 2 in D-flat, Op. 15 (r. 1927 Camden)
♪ Spirituals: (arr. Alfred Pochon): Go Down, Moses; Swing Low Seet Chariot; Deep River (r. 1927 Camden)
♪ Pochon: Irish Cradle Song (r. 1926 Camden)
♪ Traditional (arr. Pochon): Irish Reel (r. 1927 Camden)
♪ Traditional (arr. Pochon): Sally in our Alley (Old English Tune) r. 1929 Camden)
♪ Turkey in the Straw (arr. Pochon) r. 1929 Camden)

The Flonzaley Quartet
-Adolfo Betti, Violin I
-Alfred Pochon, Violin II
-Nicolas Moldavan, viola
-Iwan d'Archambeau, cello

Pristine Audio PACM068, Mono, 70:20, ADD
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief
______________________________________________________

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Image

Chalkperson
Disposable Income Specialist
Posts: 17669
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:19 pm
Location: New York City
Contact:

Re: What NEW discs/music are you adding to your collection?

Post by Chalkperson » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:47 am

I have all their Recordings on Biddulph, Beethoven, Mozart, Brahms, Schubert, Schumann Mendelssohn and Haydn...I love them... :D
Sent via Twitter by @chalkperson

maestrob
Posts: 6960
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:30 am

Re: What NEW discs/music are you adding to your collection?

Post by maestrob » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:05 pm

Image

Purchased just recently, I opened this today, and it is a stunning remastering from Melodiya's 1965 recording of Sveshnikov's conducting of Rachmaninov's Vespers. Far superior in sound to the Chant du Monde issue of some 25 years ago (which sounds like it was made from a running master equalized for vinyl pressings), this reissue is obviously from the original master tape, with far less distortion and a much wider dynamic range. VERY impressive through headphones, with very little background noise, this is a disc to be treasured. Grab it from MDT while it's still available: notes are in both English and Russian, packaged beautifully.

Addendum: The Chant du Monde issue was incomplete, containing only 12 tracks. This Melodiya issue thankfully restores the original 15 to make the work complete for the first time on CD.

http://www.mdt.co.uk/MDTSite/product//MELCD1001365.htm

Chalkperson
Disposable Income Specialist
Posts: 17669
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:19 pm
Location: New York City
Contact:

Re: What NEW discs/music are you adding to your collection?

Post by Chalkperson » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:44 pm

maestrob wrote:Image

Purchased just recently, I opened this today, and it is a stunning remastering from Melodiya's 1965 recording of Sveshnikov's conducting of Rachmaninov's Vespers. Far superior in sound to the Chant du Monde issue of some 25 years ago (which sounds like it was made from a running master equalized for vinyl pressings), this reissue is obviously from the original master tape, with far less distortion and a much wider dynamic range. VERY impressive through headphones, with very little background noise, this is a disc to be treasured. Grab it from MDT while it's still available: notes are in both English and Russian, packaged beautifully.

Addendum: The Chant du Monde issue was incomplete, containing only 12 tracks. This Melodiya issue thankfully restores the original 15 to make the work complete for the first time on CD.

http://www.mdt.co.uk/MDTSite/product//MELCD1001365.htm
That is one of the all time great Choral recordings, it was almost impossible to find Used, unfortunately the only place in the USA that sells it, Russian DVD is out of stock...
Sent via Twitter by @chalkperson

maestrob
Posts: 6960
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:30 am

Re: What NEW discs/music are you adding to your collection?

Post by maestrob » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:57 pm

Chalkster:

Click on the link provided to MDT: You can shop there in $$$.......

Lance
Site Administrator
Posts: 18504
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:27 am
Location: Binghamton, New York
Contact:

Re: What NEW discs/music are you adding to your collection?

Post by Lance » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:07 pm

I, too, have this issue and waited a LONG TIME for it. While being known as "available," it was difficult to actually track down. I have the original American issue of this on EMI/Melodiya LPs wherein the pressings and sound were incredibly good, better than average. Sveshnikov is one of the finest choral conductors I have ever heard. I was introduced to his work by one of the members of the Serge Jaroff chorus, Serge Boldireff - many years ago.
maestrob wrote:Image

Purchased just recently, I opened this today, and it is a stunning remastering from Melodiya's 1965 recording of Sveshnikov's conducting of Rachmaninov's Vespers. Far superior in sound to the Chant du Monde issue of some 25 years ago (which sounds like it was made from a running master equalized for vinyl pressings), this reissue is obviously from the original master tape, with far less distortion and a much wider dynamic range. VERY impressive through headphones, with very little background noise, this is a disc to be treasured. Grab it from MDT while it's still available: notes are in both English and Russian, packaged beautifully.

Addendum: The Chant du Monde issue was incomplete, containing only 12 tracks. This Melodiya issue thankfully restores the original 15 to make the work complete for the first time on CD.

http://www.mdt.co.uk/MDTSite/product//MELCD1001365.htm
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief
______________________________________________________

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Image

Lance
Site Administrator
Posts: 18504
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:27 am
Location: Binghamton, New York
Contact:

Re: What NEW discs/music are you adding to your collection?

Post by Lance » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:08 pm

Ahem ... that's where I FINALLY got mine!
maestrob wrote:Chalkster:

Click on the link provided to MDT: You can shop there in $$$.......
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief
______________________________________________________

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Image

Lance
Site Administrator
Posts: 18504
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:27 am
Location: Binghamton, New York
Contact:

Re: What NEW discs/music are you adding to your collection?

Post by Lance » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:11 pm

The Biddulphs were excellent transfers by Ward Marston. There's also a truncated version of Schumann's Piano Quintet on VAI with Ossip Gabrilowitsch at the piano, also highly recommended. I have many of the reissued RCA LP recordings (not that many), but this new Pristine issue is a treasure because of the shorter pieces that have largely been neglected by record companys. They were recorded via the early electrical process. Too bad all of the Flonzaley Quartet's recordings weren't recorded electrically.
Chalkperson wrote:I have all their Recordings on Biddulph, Beethoven, Mozart, Brahms, Schubert, Schumann Mendelssohn and Haydn...I love them... :D
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief
______________________________________________________

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Image

Marc
Posts: 320
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:45 pm

Re: What NEW discs/music are you adding to your collection?

Post by Marc » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:27 am

maestrob wrote:Image

Purchased just recently, I opened this today, and it is a stunning remastering from Melodiya's 1965 recording of Sveshnikov's conducting of Rachmaninov's Vespers.
Congrats with this purchase! :)

josé echenique
Posts: 2521
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:01 am

Re: What NEW discs/music are you adding to your collection?

Post by josé echenique » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:16 am

Image


Bayreuth is not what used to be. The singing is so poor you wouldn´t believe it. Pity about Thielemann and the always excellent orchestra, but compared to virtually any other cycle, this is a serious disappointment.

karlhenning
Composer-in-Residence
Posts: 9816
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2005 11:12 am
Location: Boston, MA
Contact:

Re: What NEW discs/music are you adding to your collection?

Post by karlhenning » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:30 am

The photo on that box looks like a third-class imitation of Chaplin.

Cheers,
~Karl
Karl Henning, PhD
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston, Massachusetts
http://members.tripod.com/~Karl_P_Henning/
http://henningmusick.blogspot.com/
Published by Lux Nova Press
http://www.luxnova.com/

josé echenique
Posts: 2521
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:01 am

Re: What NEW discs/music are you adding to your collection?

Post by josé echenique » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:55 pm

karlhenning wrote:The photo on that box looks like a third-class imitation of Chaplin.

Cheers,
~Karl
And the singing is a third-class imitation of Wagner.

bombasticDarren
Posts: 2353
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:26 pm
Location: Suffolk, England, UK

Re: What NEW discs/music are you adding to your collection?

Post by bombasticDarren » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:14 pm

Image Image Image

Lance
Site Administrator
Posts: 18504
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:27 am
Location: Binghamton, New York
Contact:

Re: What NEW discs/music are you adding to your collection?

Post by Lance » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:51 pm

Image

JASCHA HEIFETZ
The Master Violinist
Plays Bach, Mozart, Sibelius, Tchaikovsky,
Mendelssohn, Glazunov, Saint-Saëns,
and encores.

EMI Icon Series 17312, 6 CDs, Mono, ADD[/b]


When these recordings were made, for the most part in England, in the 1920s, 30s and 40s, Heifetz was well at the top of his great art which quickly moved forward and was captured then by RCA Victor in the USA. These early recordings, mostly concertos in this wonderful six-CD box, are all remastered from the original sources. Beyond the gorgeous Heifetz music-making with such illustrious assisting artists as Beecham, Artur Rubinstein (Franck), Benno Moiseiwitsch (Beethoven), Arpád Sándor, Barbirolli, Sargent, and Emanuel Bay ... is Julian Haylock's exceptional notes on Heifetz, written in 2008.

While these recordings were issued in the huge Heifetz Edition by RCA Victor some years ago, it's nice to have the EMI-generated recordings made in England in the space of six generously filled CDs, further enhanced with a few recordings made by RCA in Camden, New Jersey.

If you want to see the entire contents of this beautifully boxed set, check out this URL, courtesy of ArkivMusic.

http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/alb ... _id=206927

If you missed the RCA Edition, now long deleted, you can capture some of violinist's earliest recordings in this EMI set. ♪
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief
______________________________________________________

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Image

Lance
Site Administrator
Posts: 18504
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:27 am
Location: Binghamton, New York
Contact:

Re: What NEW discs/music are you adding to your collection?

Post by Lance » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:06 pm

Image

There is no question that among the greatest tenors of the twentieth century, right alongside such names as Enrico Caruso, is that of the Swedish tenor Jussi Björling [1911-1960]. At its best, it is a voice of pure gold, one that remains with a listener for a very long time after hearing it.

EMI's Icon series offers five CDs of Björling in opera and song between 1929 and 1959. These are generously-filled CDs, too, coming in time-wise at 73:25; 74:53; 76:42; 75:34, and 73:53, the equivalent to almost ten LP recordings thus making the value of this budget-priced set a deal-and-a-half and then some.

To view the contents of this set, click on this URL, courtesy of ArkivMusic: http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/alb ... _id=206926

Further, exceptional and sensitive booklet notes are written by esteemed vocal writer/critic John B. Steane. This set comes with high recommendations. It is strongly suggested you get these Icon series sets as quickly as you can. CDs have a way of disappearing very quickly in these times. ♪
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief
______________________________________________________

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Image

Donaldopato
Posts: 1901
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:27 am
Location: Kansas City
Contact:

Re: What NEW discs/music are you adding to your collection?

Post by Donaldopato » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:52 pm

I am getting a Hoddinott Symphony # 6 with Bryden Thomson on Chandos from an Ebay auction plus, since it was so highly recommended and cheap, the Cleveland Quartet Beethoven String Quartets on Telarc.
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

Marc
Posts: 320
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:45 pm

Re: What NEW discs/music are you adding to your collection?

Post by Marc » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:07 pm

Boulez/Mahler: some sounds from their early years. :)

Image

This recording of Das Klagende Lied is recently also available, AFAIK, in a larger box with some Wagner stuff.

CharmNewton
Posts: 1964
Joined: Sun Jun 08, 2003 9:10 pm

Re: What NEW discs/music are you adding to your collection?

Post by CharmNewton » Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:30 am

Beethoven: Piano Concerto No. 3 in C minor, Op. 37
Chicago Symphony Orchestra/Walter Hendl
Gary Graffman, soloist
RCA Victrola VIC(S) 1059 (LP)

This is a top-drawer recording of this concerto, by a forgotten American pianist who made some major recordings in the 1950s and 1960s. Graffman is in fine form and Hendl again displays his excellence as an accompanist. This is a nice early Victrola pressing. I don't recall ever seeing this one on CD in the U.S.

John

Lance
Site Administrator
Posts: 18504
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:27 am
Location: Binghamton, New York
Contact:

Re: What NEW discs/music are you adding to your collection?

Post by Lance » Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:52 am

I believe you are correct about this never making it to CD, John. I don't believe the Japanese ever reissued it on CD either. I don't have the original RCA LSC issue but, like you, have a great copy of VICS-1059. I thought maybe ReDiscovery or Haydn House might have issued it as one of the LP-to-CD transfers, and if so, I would have had it. I'm also sure that if Fritz Reiner was the conductor instead of Hendl, it would have been an RCA CD reissue. A great pity because Hendl did some good things on discs.

There were a number of RCA LPs of Graffman's that never made it to CD. Fortunately, I have most of them. One is "The Virtuoso Liszt" [LSC-2443]. There was also a great Schubert "Wanderer Fantasy" coupled with Prokofiev Piano Sonatas 2 and 3 on LM-2012 [mono only] and a Schumann recital of the Sonata, Op. 22, Symphonic Etudes, and Romance in F# on LM-2190 [mono only]. Those must have been issued about the time stereo LPs became fashionable and thus Graffman's mono discs lost out because of the timing. Don't you think that the case? Of course, Graffman went on to make several fine recordings for Columbia. He was a great artist and his work should have been better documented on recordings. ♪
CharmNewton wrote:Beethoven: Piano Concerto No. 3 in C minor, Op. 37
Chicago Symphony Orchestra/Walter Hendl
Gary Graffman, soloist
RCA Victrola VIC(S) 1059 (LP)

This is a top-drawer recording of this concerto, by a forgotten American pianist who made some major recordings in the 1950s and 1960s. Graffman is in fine form and Hendl again displays his excellence as an accompanist. This is a nice early Victrola pressing. I don't recall ever seeing this one on CD in the U.S.

John
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief
______________________________________________________

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Image

CharmNewton
Posts: 1964
Joined: Sun Jun 08, 2003 9:10 pm

Re: What NEW discs/music are you adding to your collection?

Post by CharmNewton » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:26 am

Lance wrote:I believe you are correct about this never making it to CD, John. I don't believe the Japanese ever reissued it on CD either. I don't have the original RCA LSC issue but, like you, have a great copy of VICS-1059. I thought maybe ReDiscovery or Haydn House might have issued it as one of the LP-to-CD transfers, and if so, I would have had it. I'm also sure that if Fritz Reiner was the conductor instead of Hendl, it would have been an RCA CD reissue. A great pity because Hendl did some good things on discs.

There were a number of RCA LPs of Graffman's that never made it to CD. Fortunately, I have most of them. One is "The Virtuoso Liszt" [LSC-2443]. There was also a great Schubert "Wanderer Fantasy" coupled with Prokofiev Piano Sonatas 2 and 3 on LM-2012 [mono only] and a Schumann recital of the Sonata, Op. 22, Symphonic Etudes, and Romance in F# on LM-2190 [mono only]. Those must have been issued about the time stereo LPs became fashionable and thus Graffman's mono discs lost out because of the timing. Don't you think that the case? Of course, Graffman went on to make several fine recordings for Columbia. He was a great artist and his work should have been better documented on recordings. ♪
CharmNewton wrote:Beethoven: Piano Concerto No. 3 in C minor, Op. 37
Chicago Symphony Orchestra/Walter Hendl
Gary Graffman, soloist
RCA Victrola VIC(S) 1059 (LP)

This is a top-drawer recording of this concerto, by a forgotten American pianist who made some major recordings in the 1950s and 1960s. Graffman is in fine form and Hendl again displays his excellence as an accompanist. This is a nice early Victrola pressing. I don't recall ever seeing this one on CD in the U.S.

John
I've never seen any of the RCA discs you mention, but I will keep my eyes open for them. Although two of them were issued in mono, they may have been recorded in stereo but never issued in that format (how long did it take for the Rubinstein/Reiner Brahms Concerto No. 1 to be issued in stereo--about 21 years).

Graffman made some recordings that were mainstays of the Victrola catalog, including the Chopin Ballades and Concerto No. 1 (with Munch) and the Brahms Concerto No. 1 (again with Munch, this one is on CD in Japan). It is surprising that some of the popular Victrola discs never made it to CD in the U.S (and probably anywhere) as they remained in print for over 20 years.

Despite the overwhelming amount of music available on CD, there are still wonderful discoveries to be found on LP.

John

Fergus
Posts: 4197
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:06 pm
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Re: What NEW discs/music are you adding to your collection?

Post by Fergus » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:49 pm

Bruggen’s Schubert cycle arrived today and I am looking forward to listening to it (but it is in a queue so it may be a while before I get around to it)....

Image

Lance
Site Administrator
Posts: 18504
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:27 am
Location: Binghamton, New York
Contact:

Re: What NEW discs/music are you adding to your collection?

Post by Lance » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:51 pm

Image
Franco Corelli, tenor

FRANCO CORELLI, tenor
The Tenor as Hero


Sings Puccini, Verdi, Rossini, Bellini, Donizetti, Leoncvallo,
Massenet and Gounod; Italian and French Songs


Assisting artists include: Grace Bumbry, Mirella Freni, Tito Gobi, Birgit Nilsson, Renata Scotto, Mario Sereni, Antonietta Stella, Gabriella Tucci, Franco Ferraris, Alain Lombard, Lovro von Matacic, Zubin Mehta, Francesco Molinari-Pradielli, Gabriele Santini, Thomas Schippers, and Tullio Serafin

EMI Icon Series, 64887, 4 CDs, ADD [75:42, 76:08, 78:12, 78:32]
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief
______________________________________________________

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Image

Chung
Posts: 101
Joined: Wed May 13, 2009 7:51 pm

Re: What NEW discs/music are you adding to your collection?

Post by Chung » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:19 am

Yet another cycle of Beethoven's symphonies for my library...
Image

However I got it for under $10 and since I haven't yet been disappointed by Ferencsik's conducting in other recordings that I own, I feel that it's worth a shot.

Lance
Site Administrator
Posts: 18504
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:27 am
Location: Binghamton, New York
Contact:

Re: What NEW discs/music are you adding to your collection?

Post by Lance » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:25 am

That's a darn good buy, for sure, Chung. And Ferencsik is an highly respected conductor. I would have taken that "shot" too. I hope you enjoy the performances. I will be particularly intersted to know what you think of his Symphony #7 in comparison to others you have. Is that set licensed by Hungaroton or some other label?
Chung wrote:Yet another cycle of Beethoven's symphonies for my library...
Image

However I got it for under $10 and since I haven't yet been disappointed by Ferencsik's conducting in other recordings that I own, I feel that it's worth a shot.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief
______________________________________________________

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Image

Lance
Site Administrator
Posts: 18504
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:27 am
Location: Binghamton, New York
Contact:

Re: What NEW discs/music are you adding to your collection?

Post by Lance » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:33 pm

Image

Using a 1925 Bösendorfer, Lisitsa not only preserves the sound of these 24 Etudes, but also the vision of performing them.

This is one of those recordings for which there should be an audio CD counterpart, like any of Listisa's DVDs.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief
______________________________________________________

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Image

Lance
Site Administrator
Posts: 18504
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:27 am
Location: Binghamton, New York
Contact:

Re: What NEW discs/music are you adding to your collection?

Post by Lance » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:38 pm

Image

More Valentina Lisitsa on DVD:

Liszt: Reminiscenes of Don Juan
Liszt: Grand Galop Chromatique
Liszt: La Campanella
Ravel: Gaspard de la nuit (complete)
Chopin: "La ci darem la mano" Variations, Op. 2
Rachmaninoff: Preludes (4): Op. 32, Nos. 5, 10, 12; Op. 23/5

Valentina Lisitsa, pianist - 1925 Bösendorfer concert grand

VAI 28957 - only on DVD. This should also be on an audio CD.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief
______________________________________________________

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Image

Lance
Site Administrator
Posts: 18504
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:27 am
Location: Binghamton, New York
Contact:

Re: What NEW discs/music are you adding to your collection?

Post by Lance » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:44 pm

Image

Hear/see all these songs that comprise Schubert's song cycle Schwanengesang [Swan Song[/i] as transcribed for solo piano by Franz Liszt. Lisitsa performs them on a 1925 Bösendorfer concert grand piano. This, too, is a disc that should have an audio CD counterpart.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief
______________________________________________________

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Image

moldyoldie
Posts: 588
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:51 pm
Location: Motown, USA

Re: What NEW discs/music are you adding to your collection?

Post by moldyoldie » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:09 pm

Amazon has Philips Duo series going at 3 for $30! :) Here are my three:

Image Image Image
"Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time."
- Steve Wright

absinthe
Posts: 3628
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:13 pm
Location: UK

Re: What NEW discs/music are you adding to your collection?

Post by absinthe » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:33 pm

Image

Fergus
Posts: 4197
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:06 pm
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Re: What NEW discs/music are you adding to your collection?

Post by Fergus » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:50 pm

My first venture into the music of Zemlinsky....

Image

Lance
Site Administrator
Posts: 18504
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:27 am
Location: Binghamton, New York
Contact:

Re: What NEW discs/music are you adding to your collection?

Post by Lance » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:41 pm

Image

CHOPIN
200th Anniversary Edition
The Complete Works
16 CDs
EMI 67117, Stereo/Mono/ADD/DDD

I have eagerly been awaiting this one! Finally arrived today. Performing artists include: Leif Ove Andsnes, Agustin Anievas, Claudio Arrau, Daniel Barenboim, Tzimon Barto, Paolo Bordoni, Natalie Clein, Andrei Gravilov, Benjamin Grosvenor, Danielle Laval, Yvonne Loriod, Ann Muray, Garrick Ohlsoon, Cecile Ousset, Charles Owen, Marie-Madeleine Petit, André Previn, Alexander Rabinovitch, Ronald Smith, Alexis Weissenberg, and Eugene Zareksa ... thats it from A to Z!

Lots of Garrick Ohlsson in this set, stereo recordings from the 1970s. The big surprise (for me) is mezzo-soprano Eugenia Zareska's inclusion with the 17 Songs of Chopin, Op. 74 with Giorgio Favaretto at the piano, recorded in Paris in December 1955 (mono).

You'll get the Ballades and Scherzos by Cecile Ousset (1987) along with the Piano Sonatas 2 and 3. (I would have preferred someone else in these). The inclusion of Ronald Smith's Chopin is also most welcome. Etudes Opp. 10/25 are rendered by Andrei Gavrilov (1985-87) when he was at his best.

Obviously, there will be some duplication in your collection if you buy this set, but the price is decent and EMI has at their disposal some of the great pianists of the world.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief
______________________________________________________

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Image

moldyoldie
Posts: 588
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:51 pm
Location: Motown, USA

Re: What NEW discs/music are you adding to your collection?

Post by moldyoldie » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:58 pm

Fergus wrote:My first venture into the music of Zemlinsky....

Image
I recently got the Chailly recording, but haven't spun it yet. Let us know what you think; I'll be sure to do the same. :) FWIW, Zemlinsky's Die Seejungfrau (The Mermaid) is a delight.
"Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time."
- Steve Wright

Fergus
Posts: 4197
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:06 pm
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Re: What NEW discs/music are you adding to your collection?

Post by Fergus » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:35 pm

moldyoldie wrote:I recently got the Chailly recording, but haven't spun it yet. Let us know what you think; I'll be sure to do the same. :) FWIW, Zemlinsky's Die Seejungfrau (The Mermaid) is a delight.
Will do....and thank you for the recommendation :wink:

RichardMitnick
Posts: 177
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:07 am
Location: Highland Park, NJ
Contact:

Re: What NEW discs/music are you adding to your collection?

Post by RichardMitnick » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:23 pm

I recently purchased music by Nico Muhly, the albums "Mothertongue", "Speaks Volumes" and "The Reader". Nico Muhly is part of the Downtown New York New Music scene. Nico sort of grew up under the influence of Philip Glass, working for him as an editor.

I also recently purchased Nadia Sirota's "First Things First" Nadia is a violist and a part of ACME, the American Contemporary Music Ensemble. Nadia is part of the WQXR staff, currently with a four hour gig on Q2, the eclectic (new) music stream.

Also, Stockhausen "Tierkreis"; Elliot Carter, "Double Concerto for Harpsichord & Piano with Two Chamber Orchestras", "Sonata for Cello and Piano", and "Sonata for Flute, Oboe, Cello and Harpsichord. I commented to Kyle Gann that Carter's Double Concerto was kind of like getting hit in the face with sleet: it's not serious, but it wakes one up.

I found Partch, Varese, Nancarrow all at Amazon in mp3.

Not long ago, I bought Michael Gordon's "Decasia" in mp3 right from Bang On a Can.

The last thing I bought were the Grand Valley State University recordings of Steve Reich's "Music for 18 Musicians" and also their recoding of Terry Riley's "In C Remix".

I am not a musician and my knowledge is five miles wide and a quarter inch think. But I love music and I enjoy supporting living composers.

>>RSM
>>RSM
Image
Please visit my blog
"MusicSprings"
http://musicsprings.wordpress.com

Are you a cruncher? Please visit
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org
http://boinc.berkeley.edu

Chung
Posts: 101
Joined: Wed May 13, 2009 7:51 pm

Re: What NEW discs/music are you adding to your collection?

Post by Chung » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:50 pm

Lance wrote:That's a darn good buy, for sure, Chung. And Ferencsik is an highly respected conductor. I would have taken that "shot" too. I hope you enjoy the performances. I will be particularly intersted to know what you think of his Symphony #7 in comparison to others you have. Is that set licensed by Hungaroton or some other label?
Chung wrote:Yet another cycle of Beethoven's symphonies for my library...
Image

However I got it for under $10 and since I haven't yet been disappointed by Ferencsik's conducting in other recordings that I own, I feel that it's worth a shot.
I suspect that it's licensed from Hungaroton as I've seen a mid-priced set of 6 CDs by Hungaroton of the symphonies with Ferencsik conducting. Yet I won't find out until I get it. I'll let you know then how I find it.

Lance
Site Administrator
Posts: 18504
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:27 am
Location: Binghamton, New York
Contact:

Re: What NEW discs/music are you adding to your collection?

Post by Lance » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:38 am

SOMEGUY {Michael} - where are you? This sounds right up your alley! And WELCOME ABOARD, Richard Mitnick. We are delighted to have you as a new member of CMG!
RichardMitnick wrote:I recently purchased music by Nico Muhly, the albums "Mothertongue", "Speaks Volumes" and "The Reader". Nico Muhly is part of the Downtown New York New Music scene. Nico sort of grew up under the influence of Philip Glass, working for him as an editor.

I also recently purchased Nadia Sirota's "First Things First" Nadia is a violist and a part of ACME, the American Contemporary Music Ensemble. Nadia is part of the WQXR staff, currently with a four hour gig on Q2, the eclectic (new) music stream.

Also, Stockhausen "Tierkreis"; Elliot Carter, "Double Concerto for Harpsichord & Piano with Two Chamber Orchestras", "Sonata for Cello and Piano", and "Sonata for Flute, Oboe, Cello and Harpsichord. I commented to Kyle Gann that Carter's Double Concerto was kind of like getting hit in the face with sleet: it's not serious, but it wakes one up.

I found Partch, Varese, Nancarrow all at Amazon in mp3.

Not long ago, I bought Michael Gordon's "Decasia" in mp3 right from Bang On a Can.

The last thing I bought were the Grand Valley State University recordings of Steve Reich's "Music for 18 Musicians" and also their recoding of Terry Riley's "In C Remix".

I am not a musician and my knowledge is five miles wide and a quarter inch think. But I love music and I enjoy supporting living composers.

>>RSM
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief
______________________________________________________

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Image

Chalkperson
Disposable Income Specialist
Posts: 17669
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:19 pm
Location: New York City
Contact:

Re: What NEW discs/music are you adding to your collection?

Post by Chalkperson » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:46 am

Chung wrote:I suspect that it's licensed from Hungaroton as I've seen a mid-priced set of 6 CDs by Hungaroton of the symphonies with Ferencsik conducting. Yet I won't find out until I get it. I'll let you know then how I find it.
I have that box, it's a great set of discs, Ferencsik was very underrated, it is indeed the Hungaraton Set...I paid 18 bucks for it... :D
Sent via Twitter by @chalkperson

Lance
Site Administrator
Posts: 18504
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:27 am
Location: Binghamton, New York
Contact:

Re: What NEW discs/music are you adding to your collection?

Post by Lance » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:58 am

I have a number of Ferencsik-conducted recordings, mostly collaborations, however, and they are beautifully conducted. As the old saying goes: one cannot have it all! Or: you can't miss what you don't have!
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief
______________________________________________________

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Image

Jared
CMG's Chief Resident Newbie
Posts: 3157
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:50 pm
Location: Hereford Cathedral

Re: What NEW discs/music are you adding to your collection?

Post by Jared » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:10 am

along with the beginning of a new month, comes another set of new purchases, which I'm currently ploughing my way through.. :shock:

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

... much food for thought, as you can see!... :idea:

Prometheus
Posts: 746
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:34 pm

Re: What NEW discs/music are you adding to your collection?

Post by Prometheus » Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:12 pm

Jared wrote:
Image
Jared,

Bought that one a while back myself. Hope you enjoy it.

At a used cd location I was able to procure Haydn's Klavierstucke by Bart van Oort on Brilliant. It is a 5 disc box set and includes all the non sonata works and a piano transcription of The Seven Last Words. It was only 10.00. :D

premont
Posts: 659
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:15 pm

Re: What NEW discs/music are you adding to your collection?

Post by premont » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:40 pm

Lance wrote:As the old saying goes: one cannot have it all! Or: you can't miss what you don't have!
And these words were to come from an experienced completist like you. :D

Lance
Site Administrator
Posts: 18504
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:27 am
Location: Binghamton, New York
Contact:

Re: What NEW discs/music are you adding to your collection?

Post by Lance » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:04 pm

Aha - I thought somebody might say something like that! :) Well, as I get older, the "completist" attitude changes somewhat. You'll see one of these days! I grow fonder and fonder of what I have accumulated. Indeed, it is some of the finest in recordings the world will ever know!
premont wrote:
Lance wrote:As the old saying goes: one cannot have it all! Or: you can't miss what you don't have!
And these words were to come from an experienced completist like you. :D
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief
______________________________________________________

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Image

Jared
CMG's Chief Resident Newbie
Posts: 3157
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:50 pm
Location: Hereford Cathedral

Re: What NEW discs/music are you adding to your collection?

Post by Jared » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:01 am

Prometheus wrote:Bought that one a while back myself.
thoroughly convincing performances of some highly enjoyable works.. although not quite of the same standard as RVW's symphonic round, IMHO.. :)

Jared
CMG's Chief Resident Newbie
Posts: 3157
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:50 pm
Location: Hereford Cathedral

Re: What NEW discs/music are you adding to your collection?

Post by Jared » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:03 am

Lance wrote: I grow fonder and fonder of what I have accumulated.
I also look forward to that day... although I think I need to do a whole lot more accumulating, first! :lol:

RichardMitnick
Posts: 177
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:07 am
Location: Highland Park, NJ
Contact:

Re: What NEW discs/music are you adding to your collection?

Post by RichardMitnick » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:21 am

I am interested to know if there are any opinions about buying .mp3 files instead of CD's.

Some time ago, I went completely digital. I gave away LP's, CD's, most of my components. I digitized a couple of cassette tapes like John Schaefer's interview of Steve Reich on the premier broadcast of The Desert Music , a special Bob Sherman (WQXR) Listening Room on his trip to Poland.

I buy nothing but .mp3's, 320kbits.

I wonder if anyone else has gone this route, or if there is an abhorrence of .mp3's.
>>RSM
Image
Please visit my blog
"MusicSprings"
http://musicsprings.wordpress.com

Are you a cruncher? Please visit
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org
http://boinc.berkeley.edu

Jared
CMG's Chief Resident Newbie
Posts: 3157
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:50 pm
Location: Hereford Cathedral

Re: What NEW discs/music are you adding to your collection?

Post by Jared » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:40 am

RichardMitnick wrote: I wonder if anyone else has gone this route, or if there is an abhorrence of .mp3's.
Dear Richard,

I'm sorry to inform you that I'm of the opinion that unless I can 'feel the merchandise' then I've not really made a purchase.

Yours Sincerely

Mr A. Luddite

:lol: :wink:

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Philip M and 19 guests