What NEW discs/music are you adding to your collection?

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

maestrob

Re: What NEW discs/music are you adding to your collection?

Post by maestrob » Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:30 am

Tianwa Yang is really a major discovery for me in this glorious album of Saint-Saens bon-bons. Her playing is exquisite, while her virtuosity has both depth and finesse. All but the Introduction and Rondo Capriccioso were new works to these ears, and all were presented with dignity and warmth. Cellist Gabriel Schwabe provided winning cello dialogue in La muse et le poete, while conductor Marc Soustret oddered sensitive accompaniment with the glittering Malmo Symphony Orchestra. All-in-all, this is one of Naxos's finest releases to date. Five stars.

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:41 pm

Thanks! Looks like this is one for me, too! (Where do I put all this stuff?)
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:42 am

This CD of rarely performed works by Vincent d'Indy contains some winning writing in his tone poems, including Medee, his Karadec Suite and the short piece Saugefleurie. Each well-constructed composition is winningly played by the Malmo Symphony Orchestra under the leadership of Darrell Ang. I can't say that this is deep or significant music, but it does please the ear and is well-recorded. As curiosities go, these are well-scored, given to moments of French good taste and well worth your listening time. Four stars.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:15 pm

Cecelia Bartoli is the eighth wonder of the world. Her singing here is transcendent, evoking mood after mood, revealing Vivaldi as the great composer he was. Ably accompanied by the Ensemble Matheus led by Jean-Christophe Spinosi, each aria on this well-documented disc reveals great artistry at its highest level from all concerned. Nearly two decades ago Bartoli released her first album of Vivaldi showpieces, and this album tops it, showing Bartoli in her maturity has added depth and wisdom to her interpretations with, if possible, extended vocal lyricism and pathos. In short, this album is a treasure not to be missed, and is, by far, my vocal album of the year! Five gold stars!

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:12 pm

As much as I'd like to give this release by my home team a rave review, that will not yet be possible. Jaap Van Zweden's tenure with NY has indeed begun on a positive note, as this release shows, but these performances lack a certain energy, a certain enthusiasm and electricity that is generated by great conductors. In Stravinsky's Rite of Spring I prefer the composer's own recording, or Muti's electrifying reading with Philadelphia on EMI/Warner, while La mer gets better treatment from both Toscanini and Reiner. Applause is edited out for these live performances recorded in David Geffen Hall. The orchestra plays quite well, and is well-recorded. Three and 1/2 stars.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:01 pm

This is a glorious album of violin sonatas and shorter works by the Korean violinist Bomsori Kim in her chamber music debut, and her equally compelling partner, the young Polish virtuoso Rafal Blechacz. Sensitive and exquisite playing abound throughout this passionate recital of two great young artists evidently thrilled to be working together. The Franck sonata that starts the disc is played as though every note has meaning, and it does in the capable hands of these two fine artists. The Debussy and Szymanowski sonatas are equally fine. What a discovery Ms Kim is! Can't wait to hear more from her. Five enthusiastic stars!
Last edited by maestrob on Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:51 am

Camille Saint-Saens traveled extensively during his lifetime, and this disc holds some of the results of his travels to northern Africa, notably the Suite Algerienne, Op. 60. As well, we have his Suite in D major OP.49, and the Suite in D minor for Cello & Orchestra. All are exquisitely played by the Basque National Orchestra, with Guillermo Pastrana on cello, led by conductor Jun Markl. While no one is claiming that this is deep or profound music, Markl makes sure that his forces treat this lovely music with respect and insight, which makes this a fine four and 1/2 star recording.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:49 am

With this release, Thierry Fischer and the Utah Symphony have completed their excellent Saint-Saens cycle. Truly fine playing from the Utah Symphony: they've been making great recordings since the early days of stereo under then music director Maurice Abravanel. Nowadays they've kept up their first-rank presence on disc with a magnificent reading of Prokofiev's Alexander Nevsky (just released this past October) along with others. Fischer is a very special conductor: he brings out details in the orchestration along with subtleties in tempo shifts that never sound awkward. Today the Utah Symphony ranks with the world's finest. IMHO. Five stars.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:03 am

It's not often that choral discs make their way into my CD player, but this rarity of 3 works by Jan Dismas Zelenka (1679-1745) caught my ears recently. Exquisitely played and sung by the Kammerchor Stuttgart and the Kammerorchester Stuttgart under the sensitive direction of conductor Frieder Barnius, the Missa Sancti Josephi, De Profundis and In Exitu Israel are carefully shaped with early music traditions that elevate this music to almost Mazartean heights. Zelenka's music has participated in the ongoing revival of early music by many capable ensembles: this recording being one of the finest available. The team of soloists fulfill their occasional functions with dignity. No complaints about the warm sound either. Five stars.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:42 am

Hyperion's series of The Romantic Piano Concerto has, with this issue, now reached #79. Well-recorded and well-played, this issue features two rather uninspiring works of not much originality: Pfitzner's Piano Concerto and Braunfels's Tag und Nachtstucke. The Braunfels was new to me (It's a piano concerto in all but name.), while Pfitzner's sprawling work was not. There are interesting moments in both works: Pfitzner's scherzo has its appeal, while the finale of the Braunfels almost catches fire. This release is for the curious only, IMHO. Both works are ably championed by pianist Markus Becker, with able direction from conductor Constantin Trinks with the Berlin Radio Symphony Orchestra. Four stars.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:31 am

The Secret Faure II is a lovely disc, with rare selections from Faure's oeuvre coupled with some better-known works (Masques et bergamasques and the Pavane). Played by an orchestra and conductor unknown to me, along with obscure soloists, I was prepared not to like this recording, yet the elegance and commitment of conductor Ivor Bolton and his Basel Symphony Orchestra won me over. Soloists Axel Schacher (violin), Antoine Lederlin (cello) and Oliver Schnyder (piano) provide elegant moments that serve Faure's music well. All-in-all, a highy successful disc. Kudos to Sony for bringing this to our attention. Five stars!

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:54 am

Conductor Jakub Hrusa is due to make his NY Philharmonic debut next season, so my ears perked up when this new release of Dvorak and Martinu Piano Concerti caught my attention recently. Hrusa has apparently embarked on a Dvorak journey with the Bamberg Symphony, appropriately enough founded by Czech musicians fleeing communism in the late 1940's. Hrusa's CDs have so far been well-received, so add this new release to the list. Pianist Ivo Kabanek adds discipline and flavor to both pieces, and the Bambergers play with a crispness and sensitivity befitting the music. Five enthusiastic stars!

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:20 pm

maestrob wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:54 am

Conductor Jakub Hrusa is due to make his NY Philharmonic debut next season, so my ears perked up when this new release of Dvorak and Martinu Piano Concerti caught my attention recently. Hrusa has apparently embarked on a Dvorak journey with the Bamberg Symphony, appropriately enough founded by Czech musicians fleeing communism in the late 1940's. Hrusa's CDs have so far been well-received, so add this new release to the list. Pianist Ivo Kabanek adds discipline and flavor to both pieces, and the Bambergers play with a crispness and sensitivity befitting the music. Five enthusiastic stars!
I dont have the cd , but do have other recordings of the Martinu PCs, real gems underplayed,as seems is much of his music.

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:25 pm

Premier Recordings 1991 cd of piano music by American composer Nicolas Flagello,from the 50’s and 60’s played by Joshua Pierce.Recommend sampling some if at YT.Attractive, percussive at times but tonal , lyrical,with depth.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:19 am

Manfred Honeck has, in recent years, transformed the Pittsburgh Symphony, already a fine orchestra, into a world class ensemble. It's been a while since Steinberg recorded Bruckner VII with the orchestra in the early 1960's on 35mm film for Command Classics, and in that time players have come and gone and the ensemble has grown and matured. Honeck has a particular gift to bring out the best in his Pittsburgh players: the brasses sound full and rich, as do the winds, even the strings have added depth and finesse. This is some of the best Bruckner I've heard in my lifetime, fully able to stand next to Bruno Walter, HVK, Klemperer, or Szell. I'm deeply proud that this is an American orchestra making music like this. Five gold stars for both recordings!

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:55 am

Pavel Kolesnikov has a special affinity for the music of Chopin. In this, his latest disc, he tackles the balance of Chopin's Mazurkas not included in last year's release (reviewed elsewhere in these pages), plus a plethora of Chopin's waltzes and other short pieces. Kolesnikov plays with a maturity and sensitivity that belies his youth, leaving your correspondent quite impressed with both his technique and emotional content. This, like his earlier disc of Mazurkas, is an important release. Five stars.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:37 am

This is a glorious disc! Purchased in 2018, I'm just getting to it now, and must report that it has received a great deal of attention in my absence. 73 reviewers give this incredible performance a five star rating on amazon, and I concur. The star-studded cast helps things (Bartoli & Fagioli among others), but this is decidedly a magnificent re-discovery of a masterpiece by a long-forgotten composer, Agostino Steffani (1654-1728), with first class forces representing the best of current baroque performers (Coro della Radiotelevisione svizzera, I Barocchisti, led by Diego Fasolis). The works on this disc, beginning with Steffani's 24 minute Stabat Mater and filled out with shorter gems are uniformly excellent. Highly recommended to lovers of the Baroque and choral & religious music in general. The sound is full with clear detail, capturing the depth of the music with fidelity and care. Five gold stars!

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:17 pm

1995 Naxos cd of the Shostakovich Piano Trios ( Op.8 at age 17 in 1923 and Op.67 1943 ), and Op.127 (1967) Seven Romances for Soprano and Piano Trio ( requested of the composer by Rostropovich ), Stockholm Piano Trio,Anita Soldh,soprano.Cd arrived today, had earlier discovered to my chagrin I had no recordings of the Trios.Sound a bit murky at times, but performances fine, the Romances rather dark than romantic. Amazon seller used , but pristine , with booklet, US $7 included s&h.The Trios are wonderful.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:24 am

The Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra has been led by illustrious maestros in the past, most notably Paul Kletzki, who recorded extensively with them in a previous generation. Kirill Karabits joins their ranks, with a particular penchant for XXth century music, including a very well-received set of Prokofiev symphonies on the same label as this release, Onyx. Here we have Walton's two symphonies, brilliantly played and stunningly well-recorded. Although composed in 1935, Walton didn't record his First Symphony until 1951 is a rather straightforward account that, to my ears, lacked insight into the more subtle moments, including a jarringly relentless account of the Scherzo ("con malizie") movement. Later accounts have proven to be better recorded with subtle rubato that highlights the drama of this uplifting work. Here, Karabits excells in both symphonies, aided by the superb recorded sound and the accuracy of his musicians. All-in-all, this disc is definitive, easily able to stand next to Previn's popular account of the First Symphony for RCA. Five gold stars!

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:19 pm

This exquisite disc of Debussy's late sonatas features Isabelle Faust in the Violin Sonata w/Alexander Malnikov on piano, Jean-Guihen Queyras in the Cello Sonata w/Javier Perianes on piano, along with the winning combination of Xavier de Maistre on harp, Antoine Tamestit on violin and Magali Mosnier on flute in the magical Trio. All of these fine artists are beautifully recorded by Harmonia Mundi for this Debussy anniversary celebration released in 2018 and just recently acquired by your reviewer. I can't emphasize enough the sensitivity and deep thought that went into these performances. Five stars!

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:29 am

The French Baroque is not visited as often by pianists as the German or Italian. Alexandre Tharaud here in this wonderful release, brings us Rameau, Couperin, Lully, and a host of lesser-known composers, who fill this disc with charming and intense music to please the ear and delight the soul. With a guest appearance by Sabine Devielhe in Rameau's Viens, Hymen, this inventive presentation of great short pieces makes for an ear-opening listening experience of fine French virtuosity. A tip of the hat to Lance who brought this fine artist to our attention! Five stars.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:48 am

Korngold's Symphony in F-sharp has finally taken its rightful place in the recorded repertoire, with more than 10 versions available on CD. Composed after WWII when Korngold was finally again writing for the concert hall and dedicated to FDR, this is definitely a "retro" work, romantic in nature as was his Violin Concerto composed during the same period for Heifetz. John Wilson, an excellent conductor of both British and American music and the assistant conductor for the BBC Scottish, here leads an exemplary performanceof the Symphony full of fine details and much passion. As bonus tracks, we are given both the Theme and Variations and Straussiana. Chandos captures the London Sinfonia with its' usual first-rate sound. Five stars.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:07 am

Robin Ticciati has become a conductor to watch, with several recent releases on the Ondine label. Christian Tetzlaff is also a great violinist, rewarding his listeners with well-considered performances. This new release with the Deutches Symphonie Orchester Berlin brings them together for an instant classic release in a pairing of violin concertos by Beethoven and Sibelius that rivals those of past masters, including Heifetz and Oistrakh. Every note is well-placed and thought through, even while electricity and passion are not forgotten. Ticciati paces his orchestra just right, while Tetzlaff chooses interesting cadenzas in the Beethoven (The first movement derives from the version of the same concerto for piano and orchestra that Beethoven also composed.). All-in-all, this is a rewarding musical experience. Five stars.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:12 am

With this extraordinary release, Pablo Heras-Casado joins the ranks of first-rate interpreters of De Falla's music. Both El sombrero de tres picos and El amor brujo receive passionate and exacting readings from the Mahler Chamber Orchestra, marred only by the singing of Marina Herodia in the latter. Herodia's performance is indeed authentic in the extreme, and she bring a certain style to the proceedings, but she is quite off-pitch and her tone quality grates on the ear. That said, I still feel compelled to give this winning disc five stars because of the electricity and commitment of the performers. This is a major release, worthy of your attention.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:56 am

Kabalevsky has long been considered a lightweight composer here in the west, known for his Comedians Suite and the overture to his opera Colas Breugnon, which have become concert staples. His 1934 Symphony II, however, was championed by Toscanini in concert, although the maestro never recorded the work, and Kabalevsky wrote a searing Requiem for those lost to Germany's WWII aggression, thankfully recorded by the composer in the 1960's. The First Symphony, written in 1932, is heavier fare than the second, but both are uplifting pieces, played on this disc with energy and drive by Maestro Daniel Ang leading the excellent Malmo Symphony Orchestra from Sweden. Kabalevsky's music demands sparkle and drive, and his sometimes complex rhythms are expertly executed and recorded here in this 2019 release by Naxos. Five stars.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:00 pm

Bertrand Chamayou has recently been making quite a name for himself, and not just in French repertoire, thankfully. In this, his latest release to come to my attention, he is joined in two Saint-Saens concertos (II & V) by Emmanuel Krivine and the French National Orchestra. These beautifully conceived and recorded interpretations easily stand up to the competition from the likes of Pascal Roge/Dutoit or Jean-Philippe Collard/Previn. Surely Chamayou plans to record all five concerti, hopefully in the near future. Krivine provides sensitive and detailed accompaniment, while Chamayou graces us with a set of solo pieces to fill out the disc, rather than the usual fluffy orchestral pieces. A fine disc then, fully deserving of a five star rating!

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Fri May 01, 2020 3:36 pm

The four Piano Trios of Joaquin Turina,Arbos Trio,a 2000 Naxos cd.Elegant music. If you wish to sample, would suggest starting with the Trio # 2, then the earlier 1904 F major. All are at YT.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Mon May 04, 2020 12:11 pm

Conductor John Nelson has, over the past two decades, made quite a project of performing and recording Berlioz's vocal music, culminating in a recent release of the Requiem last fall, which I have not yet heard. The overall excellence of his interpretations is unquestionable IMHO, utilizing the world's finest soloists (Joyce DiDonato, Susan Graham, Bryan Hymel, etc. come to mind,). This Damnation de Faust confirms that excellent track record, featuring Joyce Di Donato as Marguerite, Michael Spyresl as Faust, and Nicolas Courjal as an superb Mephistopheles. The Strasbourg chorus and orchestra provide scintillating accompaniment in a live performance with radiant recorded sound with literally no audience noise: you could hear a pin drop, so rapt is the level of concentration. Surely, this new version invites comparison to Colin Davis's benchmark 1971 reading, featuring Nicolai Gedda in prime form (curiously released on CD on September 11, 2001!), a recording that has stood the test of time for nearly 50 years. Nelson's performance certainly does not replace it, but offers an updated perspective on the great recordings of the past, including Munch in 1954 (sadly only the mono tapes survive), Ozawa and Markevitch. A great reading, then, worthy of five enthusiastic stars.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Mon May 11, 2020 1:00 pm

This is an important, fascinating release, and not just for francophiles such as your correspondent. It fully deserves a recording of the year award, IMHO. In brief, this is a faithful recreation of Charles Gounod's 1859 opera-comique version of his great opera, a version lost to history and quite overshadowed by the grand opera version we know today that was first presented ten years later in 1869. Gounod ripped some pages from his original score (for timing reasons?) for that premiere: those have been restored for this recording. Here we have singers who are quite adept at their spoken dialogue, quite refreshingly so. We also have "Salut, demeure..." without the cavatina, and not a sign of "Avant de quitter ces lieux...." which was originally composed for an English baritone and then translated into French for the 1869 published version. (Please see the excellent reviews on amazon for more details of the differences between the two versions.)

As for the singers involved, I'm happy to say that Veronique Gens makes a superb Marguerite. Growing up with the non-pareil Victoria De Los Angeles in the role, a consummate artist who also sang the Boccanegra Amelia, Carmen, Charlotte and even the Meistersinger Eva at the MET with Fritz Reiner, it was not difficult to accept Gens in the role, given that her flexibility in the Jewel Song stands with the best. Benjamin Bernheim is a stunning Faust, culminating the role with a voix-mixte high C in his signature aria, comparing favorably to Nicolai Gedda. Andrew Foster Williams as Mephistopheles is lighter and more subtle than many others (my favorite here would be the suave Cesare Siepi), but he carries his role well, projecting the evil charm necessary and the welcome comic relief in his interactions with Dame Marta Scherklein. Valentin and Siebel are well-portrayed by both Jean-Sebastien Bou and Juliette Mars, who is quite stunning in her aria "Faites-lui mes aveux...". Conductor Christophe Rousset is quite a find, propelling a electrifying performance by Les Talens Lyriques and the Flemish Radio Choir.

A magnificent interpretation, then, and a scholarly presentation of Gounod's original thoughts on his great opera. Five enthusiastic gold stars!

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Mon May 18, 2020 9:53 am

The Lucerne Festival Orchestra gave its first concert in the summer of 1938 in Switzerland under the direction of non other than Arturo Toscanini. Since then, the festival has taken place on an irregular basis, most recently under the baton of the renowned maestro Claudio Abaddo, who hand-picked the finest orchestral musicians in Europe in order to present and record his final word on Mahler's great symphonies (He died before organizing VIII.) These concerts (available on DVD) were so successful that the orchestra appointed Riccardo Chailly to continue the festival. The Strauss disc pictured above released last Fall is the first commercial result of that collaboration, and an extraordinary disc it is, generous to a fault, with Also Sprach Zarathustra, Tod und Verklarung, Till Eulenspiegel and Salome's Dance all presented in superb sound. Chailly may not be my favorite conductor (I'm not fond of his recent Brahms Symphonies and Concertos, nor his Beethoven cycle in Leipzig.), but this disc is a surefire winner. Chailly's attention to detail is, I'm sure, aided and abetted by the superiority of his musicians who have wide experience with this repertoire under the greatest conductors: nevertheless, he pulls it all together in smartly paced and crystal-clear readings in superb sound that will send chills up your spine. My favorite readings of this repertoire date back to Toscanini, and include Von Karajan/Berlin, Reiner/Chicago, Rudolf Kempe/Dresden and, of course, Ormandy/Philadelphia. This superb disc stands shoulder-to-shoulder with these great interpretations, and bodes well for future releases from these forces. Five stars!

Mookalafalas

Post by Mookalafalas » Wed May 20, 2020 10:40 am

I have a digital version of this, but love it so much decided to spring for the physical media. I saw a lot of people don't like it. "Sloppy" and "Coarse" were mentioned. :shock: In my book, gorgeous, poetic, joyful, and fresh would be the key adjectives.

It's OOP in most places, but still available from Amazon in Japan for a cheap price (but with inflated shipping rate).
Call me Al (cuz its my name)

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Wed May 20, 2020 4:54 pm

Bloch’s Violin Sonatas Nos, 1 and 2 heard first time today ( I think * ), after catching a bit of No.2 on FM radio yesterday in a live performance, here the 1999 Naxos cd by Miriam Kramer,violin,Simon Over , piano :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uREwkHq ... No&index=6

( * One of the benefits of increasing dotage is the ability to hear new works frequently ! )

Extraordinary music ; seemingly very well played ; cd ordered.

I have Margaret Fingerhut’s Chandos cd of his solo piano music ( recommended !) , and a recording his String Quartet, and fondly recall hearing “Schelomo” in Amsterdam at the Concertgebouw in Feb. or March ,1970, with the RCO under Eric Leinsdorf. I believe the cellist was the RCO Concertmaster, Beethoven Sym.# 7 also on that programme. I could not see the cellist as I was in the very front row, very far stage right , about 2 seats from the “Exit” doors, could only see some of Leinsdorf,my ticket one of the last left. I skipped lunch and supper to afford the ticket ( also passing on the Zeedijk -De Wallen ) , but consoled with 2 Oranjebooms apres concert .

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Sun May 24, 2020 10:28 am

Ingrid Fliter has been on the concert stage now for more than a decade and a half, so this DVD release from the piano festival in Florida in 2006 sparked a strong interest in me for many good reasons. Fliter seems to have sprung from the head of Zeus fully formed: not only is her technique formidable, but her depth of feeling and maturity of interpretation in this difficult recital are astounding! Her Haydn sparkled with depth and wit. She plays Beethoven like a master, with clear ideas, warmth and devotion to the score that surpasses many other more famous and mature pianists. Her Chopin is also deeply felt, sensitive to all the nuances available in the music. Her tempi were exactly right in everything, not a false note was heard, not a disappointing moment was evident. Fliter, judging by this recital and other recordings I have heard, is a truly great artist who must be heard: she was certainly born to play Chopin. Warmly recommended. Five stars!

CharmNewton

Post by CharmNewton » Thu May 28, 2020 7:51 pm

I was happy to see DG had issued this set earlier this month. This may be its first official release as a complete cycle--there are two issues available taken from LPs. I remember seeing the LPs discounted as remainders many years on poorly pressed discs and I wasn't familiar with Steinberg to commit limited resources to taking a chance on the records. I've ordered it but don't have it yet.

Steinberg caught my attention about 20 years later. I was working out at the gym and WFMT was playing some of his recordings in honor of his birthday. The particular recording that captivated me was Ravel's Bolero. The recording was lively and beautifully balanced with an enormous amount of detail. Over time I became convinced that Steinberg was one of the great conductors of the last century and deserves mention with Reiner and Szell (members of his generation) as well other great maestros. When one hears the recordings of Dorati and Skrowaczewski in Minneapolis, Paray in Detroit, Rudolf in Cincinnati as well as Steinberg in Pittsburgh, Szell in Cleveland and Reiner in Chicago the musical scene in the Midwest was outstanding.

This set was made available for download, but the CDs don't seem to have wide distribution so anyone interested should probably act sooner rather than later.

John

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Fri May 29, 2020 6:04 am

John--

I agree with you about Steinberg's quality. He recorded one of the best Planets available coupled with Zarathustra on DGG with Boston before he died (available on amazon Prime for listening), and his Brahms Symphony cycle with Pittsburgh is very good, along with a Bruckner 7 and a Rachaninoff II that I remember fondly. So sad that he died before really establishing a legacy in Boston!

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Fri May 29, 2020 10:45 pm

Yes, I am very happy to see this set released. I'm still waiting. Shipping from overseas has become slower than ever. I wasn't going to get any more complete "9" of Beethoven since I already have so many, but the price was right and, having seen Steinberg conduct in person many times, I am enamoured with his style and sound.
CharmNewton wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 7:51 pm

I was happy to see DG had issued this set earlier this month. This may be its first official release as a complete cycle--there are two issues available taken from LPs. I remember seeing the LPs discounted as remainders many years on poorly pressed discs and I wasn't familiar with Steinberg to commit limited resources to taking a chance on the records. I've ordered it but don't have it yet.

Steinberg caught my attention about 20 years later. I was working out at the gym and WFMT was playing some of his recordings in honor of his birthday. The particular recording that captivated me was Ravel's Bolero. The recording was lively and beautifully balanced with an enormous amount of detail. Over time I became convinced that Steinberg was one of the great conductors of the last century and deserves mention with Reiner and Szell (members of his generation) as well other great maestros. When one hears the recordings of Dorati and Skrowaczewski in Minneapolis, Paray in Detroit, Rudolf in Cincinnati as well as Steinberg in Pittsburgh, Szell in Cleveland and Reiner in Chicago the musical scene in the Midwest was outstanding.

This set was made available for download, but the CDs don't seem to have wide distribution so anyone interested should probably act sooner rather than later.

John
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:46 am

This disc of Joseph Marx's Romantic Piano Concerto and Castelli Romani was originally issued by ASV (DCA 1174), and is welcome again in its Naxos presentation. Recorded in 2004, the sound is open and first-rate. Pianist David Lively plays with commitment and style, bringing out Marx's structure with flair. If you like Rachmaninoff or Medtner, you'll enjoy these works ably accompanied by conductor Steven Sloane and the Bochum Symphony Orchestra. Like Korngold, Marx was also a film composer. Marx was also a virtuoso pianist and his ease of craftsmanship showcases his talent readily in these appealing works. Not great music, but worthy listening. Four and 1/2 stars.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:46 pm

This latest disc from Kate Lindsey is very fine, including selections from Alessandro Scarlatti, Handel and Haydn. Lindsey owns a vitally flexible instrument, fully expressive throughout her soprano range. Hers is wonderful singing, with a full command of emotions and Baroque style and ornamentation. Lindsey is ably accompanied by the energetic conducting and playing of the group Arcangelo, led by Jonathan Cohen in this spectacular release. Highly recommended. Five stars!

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:36 pm

Having enjoyed the COMMAND LP recordings of Beethoven's symphonies with the Pittsburgh Symphony under the baton of William Steinberg, I was happy to recently acquire the 5-CD boxed set from DGG 483 8344 giving us all the symphonies plus the third Leonore Overture. Unlike other sets of this music (not very well remastered from the original LPs from most reports), DGG uses the original sources from the 1960s. Regarding the Ninth Symphony, however, the originals were lost for only the last movement. DGG subsequently had to employ an original LP to add that movement to complete the work. I have not yet had an opportunity hear the final result, however, I'm sure, given DGG's technical expertise, we might not notice the difference.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:07 am

I expected this disc by Imogen Cooper to be better, thanks to some glowing reviews. Cooper's strengths are in Brahms, Schumann, Mozart & Schubert, and she has released some very fine, authoritative discs in that repertoire. While there is some lovely playing here, I feel that she fails to capture the fire and spirit of her competitors, most notably Alicia De Larrocha, Marc-Andre Hamelin, and Jean-EfflamBavouzet in this repertoire. There are occasional passages in the Ravel and Iberia that seem a bit out of reach for her technique as well. Iberia y Francia is therefore not up to Cooper's usual high standard of excellence IMHO. Three and 1/2 stars.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:23 am

Ernest Bloch (1880-1959) is chiefly known for his popular Schelomo, recorded by every major cellist since it was written. Here we have Bloch's two Violin Sonatas and his Suite hebraique, along with two short pieces, Abdoah, and Melody. All are ably and sensitively played by two artists previously unknown to me, Miriam Kramer, violin, and pianist Simon Over. Both of these aperformers are world-class in this deeply affecting repertoire, well-recorded in 1998 by Naxos and still thankfully available on disc. Each work is superior and finely crafted: there's not a wasted moment on this excellent disc. Bloch's music needs to be heard more often, and this recording is a prime example. Five stars all around.

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:24 pm

maestrob wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:23 am
. Here we have Bloch's two Violin Sonatas and his Suite hebraique, along with two short pieces, Abdoah, and Melody. .. Five stars all around.
Agreed , mine arrived last week ( the same Naxos cd ).

slofstra

Post by slofstra » Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:38 pm

maestrob wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:12 pm

As much as I'd like to give this release by my home team a rave review, that will not yet be possible. Jaap Van Zweden's tenure with NY has indeed begun on a positive note, as this release shows, but these performances lack a certain energy, a certain enthusiasm and electricity that is generated by great conductors. In Stravinsky's Rite of Spring I prefer the composer's own recording, or Muti's electrifying reading with Philadelphia on EMI/Warner, while La mer gets better treatment from both Toscanini and Reiner. Applause is edited out for these live performances recorded in David Geffen Hall. The orchestra plays quite well, and is well-recorded. Three and 1/2 stars.
I have so many renditions of 'La Mer' on what I call a tag-along basis. This occurs when you acquired a different composition and 'La Mer' is used to round out the 60 or 70 minutes. It is a fantastic piece, but I did not go looking for 16 renditions, which is the actual number I have on CD.
I mention this in the hope that something else be used.

slofstra

Post by slofstra » Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:50 pm

maestrob wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 9:53 am

The Lucerne Festival Orchestra gave its first concert in the summer of 1938 in Switzerland under the direction of non other than Arturo Toscanini. Since then, the festival has taken place on an irregular basis, most recently under the baton of the renowned maestro Claudio Abaddo, who hand-picked the finest orchestral musicians in Europe in order to present and record his final word on Mahler's great symphonies (He died before organizing VIII.) These concerts (available on DVD) were so successful that the orchestra appointed Riccardo Chailly to continue the festival. The Strauss disc pictured above released last Fall is the first commercial result of that collaboration, and an extraordinary disc it is, generous to a fault, with Also Sprach Zarathustra, Tod und Verklarung, Till Eulenspiegel and Salome's Dance all presented in superb sound. Chailly may not be my favorite conductor (I'm not fond of his recent Brahms Symphonies and Concertos, nor his Beethoven cycle in Leipzig.), but this disc is a surefire winner. Chailly's attention to detail is, I'm sure, aided and abetted by the superiority of his musicians who have wide experience with this repertoire under the greatest conductors: nevertheless, he pulls it all together in smartly paced and crystal-clear readings in superb sound that will send chills up your spine. My favorite readings of this repertoire date back to Toscanini, and include Von Karajan/Berlin, Reiner/Chicago, Rudolf Kempe/Dresden and, of course, Ormandy/Philadelphia. This superb disc stands shoulder-to-shoulder with these great interpretations, and bodes well for future releases from these forces. Five stars!
I love Chailly. Of course, you have to catch him with the right orchestra, if you catch my drift. I think I'll play his Hindemith Kammer Musik, next. It's been so long I can't remember what it's even like.
After Chailly, the late Mariss Jansons took up the baton at the RCO. Not a match for Chailly at all. I did see Jansons conduct a concert or two on my BPO subscription and they were fairly good, but generally I found him dull.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:08 am

That Riccardo Muti's talents went beyond just Verdi and Puccini was amply demonstrated to your reviewer when he took the helm in Philadelphia and promptly began issuing searing recordings of Stravinsky, Scriabin, Prokofiev and Tchaikovsky. This live recording of Muti's latest effort in Shostakovich, recorded in Chicago with bass Alexei Tikhomirov in the fall of 2018 and just recently issued this past January, shows a deep affinity for Symphony 13, written to poetry by Yevtushenko poetry first published in 1961. This symphony was first performed in Russia while I was in college, albeit with some controversial passages edited by the Soviet government: I remember fellow Russian students passing out mimeographed sheets with the original unedited text, which later appeared on the Western premiere recording by Ormandy. The Russian premiere was also issued here on the Everest label, and I eagerly sought out both records. Muti takes a more relaxed approach to this music than either of those versions, but he projects the power and depth of this disturbing score with his Chicago forces at their peak. This, then, is a version that demands to be heard. Four stars.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:12 am

Bohuslav Martinu's mid-twentieth century music has always fascinated me, ever since I discovered his Symphony IV as a teenager. Here we have three concerti in his distinct neo-classical style, played with verve and excitement by forces previously unknown to me, neatly packaged on one superb disc. Lawrence Foster is the excellent maetsro in charge of this affair, leading the Orchestre Philharmonique de Marseille, with soloists Mari & Momo Kodama on piano, and Deborah & Sarah Nemtanu on violin, aided and abetted by Magali Denesse on viola. They all shine in scintillating performances of Martinu's concerted works for violins and orchestra, viola and orchestra, and a double piano concerto. These are performances packed with energy and verve that totally sold me on this repertoire, new to my ears. Definitely a keeper! Five stars.

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:35 am

maestrob wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:12 am
Bohuslav Martinu's mid-twentieth century music has always fascinated me, ever since I discovered his Symphony IV as a teenager.
Thanks for this. I came to Martinu relatively recently, and wondered why I had not much earlier.I have much of his music now, can recommend almost all of it.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:57 am

This superb disc of rarely performed British music for viola and orchestra features virtuoso Helen Callas in truly stunning performances of rarely performed works by Vaughan-Williams, Howells, Walton, and Bowen, ably supported by conductor Marc Taddei and the New Zealand Symphony Orchestra in top form. All of this twentieth Century music is eminently listenable with profound passages that bring out the best in these world-class performers. What a discovery! To have all these works in such excellent performances on one disc is surely a treat for this Anglophile, and should be one for our readers as well. Five well-earned stars!

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:09 pm

maestrob wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:57 am
This superb disc of rarely performed British music for viola and orchestra features virtuoso Helen Callas in truly stunning performances of rarely performed works by Vaughan-Williams, Howells, Walton, and Bowen, ably supported by conductor Marc Taddei and the New Zealand Symphony Orchestra in top form.
Thanks ! I have other recordings of the V-W and Walton,great works.Will try to hear the other 2.

slofstra

Post by slofstra » Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:21 pm

maestrob wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:57 am

This superb disc of rarely performed British music for viola and orchestra features virtuoso Helen Callas in truly stunning performances of rarely performed works by Vaughan-Williams, Howells, Walton, and Bowen, ably supported by conductor Marc Taddei and the New Zealand Symphony Orchestra in top form. All of this twentieth Century music is eminently listenable with profound passages that bring out the best in these world-class performers. What a discovery! To have all these works in such excellent performances on one disc is surely a treat for this Anglophile, and should be one for our readers as well. Five well-earned stars!
I have a Vaughan Williams box which I thought was fairly complete, but this piece, the 'Suite for Viola and Orchestra' is not in it. And then I learn that it's actually eight movements in length; you're only getting three on this recording.

I believe the viola was Vaughan Williams' main instrument; it also features prominently in the sublime 'Flos Campi', one of my VW favourites.