The Classical Music Guide Forums

Welcome to the new Classical Music Guide Online Forums!
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:32 am 
Site Administrator

Ah yes, your administrator gets himself into another "event." I am the emcee for an event coming up this Saturday, September 26, 2009 called "Celebration of 40 Years of Teaching Vocal Music." I have personally known Mary Lou Eagan Muratori for most of my life. I also take care of her Baldwin grand piano. Mary Lou began her singing life around 1949 with Tri-Cities Opera of Binghamton, New York, not only as a coloratura soprano, but assisted the opera by playing accompaniments on the piano for rehearsals.

As a teacher, her two most influential vocal teachers were Signora Nerina Poggi-Baldesseri of Florence, Italy, and Mae Graves Atkins of New York and Chicago, who passed on the famous vocal traditions of Mathilde Marchesi and Francesco Lamperti. Mary Lou also coached with Otto Guth of the San Francisco Opera. She has also sung under the baton of James Levine in Chicago.

It is, indeed, a privilege, to be able to participate in an event celebrating the teaching art of this lovely person who has dedicated 40 years of her life to the art. 500 or more are expected. Naturally, I will be preparing the Steinway concert grand piano for the event (a program of nearly 30 selections, including a piano solo and cello solo, choral works, opera, operetta and song. I am pleased to be acting as the emcee, and produced all the programs for this event. My laser printers have been burning wildly into the wee hours of the morning trying to get everything accomplished.

Lots goes on here in the greater Binghamton, New York area! If you love taxes, you will also love New York! ♫

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:03 pm 
Site Administrator

So, you know what I will be doing tonight ... emceeing this wonderful event! We are anticipating an attendance of 500+ people.

I hope you all enjoy listening to my Fritz Wunderlich program at 7:00 p.m. Eastern time tonight!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:09 pm 
CMG's Chief Resident Newbie

I sincerely hope you have a thoroughly enjoyable and memorable evening, Lance.. 8)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:17 am 
Site Administrator

It was a super evening. I even had a chance to introduce the Mayor of Binghamton to award our teacher of 40 years a proclamation. We had many singers, a wonderful pianist playing a Chopin Nocturne, a cellist playing a Russian composer's transcription of Rachmaninoff's "Vocalise," so it was a most varied program. There were over 500 people in attendance. It was a most splendid evening, for sure!
Jared wrote:
I sincerely hope you have a thoroughly enjoyable and memorable evening, Lance.. 8)