I made some YouTube clips

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Imperfect Pitch

I made some YouTube clips

Post by Imperfect Pitch » Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:53 am

I've been posting some videos on YouTube. The idea is to compare different recordings of the same piece. Here they are; hope you enjoy them.

The Paganini double-harmonics clip has been the most popular one so far, approaching 6,000 views and 60+ member comments since March. There is a surprisingly robust classical music community out there on YouTube.

Last edited by Imperfect Pitch on Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Niki

Re: I posted some YouTube clips

Post by Niki » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:08 pm

Wonderful pieces imperfect pitch!
How do you post these pictures with the combined music if you start on YouTube?
Thanks

Chosen Barley

Post by Chosen Barley » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:45 pm

What a wonderful idea. I am having fun with the Callas vs R. Tebaldi (M.C. is a bit screechy, yes, but I prefer her version); and the Schubert piano piece with the 5 players. Did you set this up yourself? Och! Such a smart guy. :D
STRESSED? Spell it backwards for the cure.

Imperfect Pitch

Post by Imperfect Pitch » Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:38 am

Thanks, Niki and Chosen Barley. Making these clips is really easy, and I did it using free software that's included with Windows (called Movie Maker). The program creates a video file that you can upload directly onto YouTube. The whole process takes maybe 10-15 minutes once you have the audio and video files picked out. Let me know if you decide to try it and need any help.

Chosen Barley

Post by Chosen Barley » Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:46 pm

Hey, how come there aren't more CMG members commenting on this side X side comparison, and then arguing and debating?

I'm on to the cellists, now!
STRESSED? Spell it backwards for the cure.

slofstra

Post by slofstra » Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:39 pm

This is great stuff, IP. I waited until I could watch on my Mac and play through my stereo.
Observations - so far, there are more to go:
- Never heard much of Pierre Fournier before so I will look out for him.
- The Schubert confirmed my bias, for style I prefer Curzon and Lupu, although Richter is such a great pianist style is irrelevant. Not a fan of the Horowitz or Fischer particularly.
- Gould, 1981 definitely the best. A tension in the left hand that is very evocative.
- The Callas, Tibaldi comparison is really interesting. Somehow Callas communicates more feeling, although I think she goes over the top, too teary, at the end. Rita Streich owns this however. I melt at 1:25 in this clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jT7WWseWmyU
- I think Hahn was the most pleasing in the double harmonics, Perlman terrible, but I'm not sure I care. Some of this is like fingernails on the chalkboard.

Imperfect Pitch

Re: I made some YouTube clips

Post by Imperfect Pitch » Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:24 am

slofstra: Thanks, I also like Curzon in Schubert although Horowitz - unidiomatic as he is - has grown on me. Gould's 1981 Goldberg has always been my favorite as an overall conception, although I sometimes think the 1955 recording is unbeatable on a variation-by-variation basis and the 1959 displays great warmth. Callas and Tebaldi, of course, had a celebrated rivalry whether manufactured or otherwise. Callas had exceptional dramatic and technical skill coupled with an unremarkable vocal timbre (relatively speaking, that is, when compared to other elite operatic sopranos), while Tebaldi was blessed with a golden voice. Thanks for the Rita Streich clip - I am not familiar with the name but find that performance to be gorgeous and especially her phrasing very natural. I will search for more of her on YouTube. You're right on with your fingernails-against-a-chalkboard comment re: Paganini double harmonics. As with Sarasate's Caprice Basque which features simultaneous plucking and bowing, the double harmonics are notable for their technical degree-of-difficulty fireworks rather than purely musical value. Hahn is obviously the cleanest, but some of the listener comments suggest it may be due to editing - a tack that others like Perlman consciously avoided, supposedly. Who knows.

Werner
CMG's Elder Statesman

Post by Werner » Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:19 pm

I agree that this is a wonderful way to compare performances and know the selections - short and not fully representative of either composer or performer as they are. And we have to remember that each of these performers may well have rethought the music as they went on in their careers.

In the Scarlatti, I'm forced to guess but my impression is that the first performance is by Lipatti. (Correct me if I'm wrong!) My reason is the difference in sound as well as some of the individual touches toward the end in what I think is the Horowitz performance. We also must remember that Lipatti died young, whereas Horowitz had many opportunities to rethink his interpretation.

The Schubert F Minor Moment Musical I know well from my own earlier involvement with the instrument. (At least that's one I COULD play!) It struck me that each interpretation - it's really a little and unpretentious piece but with its own character - had its attractions and points at which I disagreed, some more strongly than others. Overall, I thought that Lupu came as close to my concept as the previous ones - until I heard Richter, who generally has not spoken to me too much in Schubert. Here he seemed very much in the vein. And if it seems that in every performance there were points where my concept differed from each of these five distinguished pianists, that iilustrates what makes music such a fascinating and unique art form.
Last edited by Werner on Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Werner Isler

Imperfect Pitch

Post by Imperfect Pitch » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:43 pm

Werner: About the Scarlatti clip, you are correct - Lipatti is first, followed by a recording of Horowitz live in Moscow circa 1986 when he was 82. It's amazing what exceptional control he had over the keyboard at that age, even as he (understandably) slipped in consistency and virtuosity*.

* As evidenced by the fact that many selections from his "Horowitz in Moscow" recording were taken from public rehearsal events as opposed to actual concert dates. Some of the concert-night material was reportedly subpar, marred by poor technique and/or memory lapses.

Ken

Post by Ken » Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:03 am

Seems as though none of the videos are available to German surfers because of copyright restrictions! :(
Du sollst schlechte Compositionen weder spielen, noch, wenn du nicht dazu gezwungen bist, sie anhören.

Imperfect Pitch

Post by Imperfect Pitch » Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:28 am

Ken - YouTube allows them everywhere except Germany for some reason. If you send me your e-mail address via Private Message, I'll see what I can do.

living_stradivarius

Post by living_stradivarius » Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:28 am

Interesting to know that Paganini VC 1 double harmonics have been the most popular. This is something you can only play well with a good instrument!

Imperfect Pitch

Post by Imperfect Pitch » Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:06 am

living_stradivarius wrote:Interesting to know that Paganini VC 1 double harmonics have been the most popular. This is something you can only play well with a good instrument!
And a very good violinist :-)