Your Best Mozart [Edited and sanitized version]

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

cps
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:55 am

Your Best Mozart [Edited and sanitized version]

Post by cps » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:25 pm

Howdy folks!

It seems to me that music from the Classical era, and especially that of Mozart, is among the most difficult to perform musically. When done well, though, I find that it's perhaps the most satisfying kind of music to listen to.

I'm curious what you folks here at CMG have as far as 'near-perfect' recordings of Mozart go. It can be anything from the oeuvre; concerti, symphonies, anything.

My personal favorites: Mitsuko Uchida performing his Sonatas (especially K570), and Alan Civil playing his horn concerti with the Philharmonia/Klemperer (esp. K417).

There is a certain delicate touch these performers put into the music that is simply gorgeous.

Show me more!

Chris

MarkC
Posts: 1630
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:52 pm
Location: New York, NY

Re: Your Best Mozart

Post by MarkC » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:32 pm

cps wrote:......My personal favorites: Mitsuko Uchida performing his Sonatas (especially K570).....
I have to agree, even just from hearing her play one piece -- and only one movement at that. It was the 1st movement of a concerto (don't remember which -- it was one of the few major ones that I'm not familiar with), on the radio.

I was struck by the apparent simplicity -- I say "apparent" because obviously it's not simple, or else we could all do it. The main thing that I kept thinking as I listened was that she's someone who has nothing to prove -- in a good sense.

K. 570 is one of my favorite Mozart sonatas, and I've played it. Charles Rosen wrote some unflattering things about it. He made it seem like you have to just about be mentally retarded to care for it. :)
I found that especially ironic, considering that I had been introduced to it via a Schnabel recording.
Don't expect me to be sane, I'm playing Scriabin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ySs4aQ8 ... D6&index=0

Chalkperson
Disposable Income Specialist
Posts: 17669
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:19 pm
Location: New York City
Contact:

Re: Your Best Mozart

Post by Chalkperson » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:20 pm

The Rondo K511 and The String Quintets...
Sent via Twitter by @chalkperson

MarkC
Posts: 1630
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:52 pm
Location: New York, NY

Re: Your Best Mozart

Post by MarkC » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:33 pm

P.S. What Charles Rosen said about K. 570:

"Even the late B flat Sonata K. 570 of Mozart represents a deliberate attempt to accommodate the pianist with a limited technical (and even musical) equipment....."


I went ahead and played it anyway. :lol:

jbuck919
Military Band Specialist
Posts: 26867
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:15 pm
Location: Stony Creek, New York

Re: Your Best Mozart

Post by jbuck919 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:02 pm

MarkCannon wrote:P.S. What Charles Rosen said about K. 570:

"Even the late B flat Sonata K. 570 of Mozart represents a deliberate attempt to accommodate the pianist with a limited technical (and even musical) equipment....."


I went ahead and played it anyway. :lol:
First, WELCOME CPS!. Come on, folks, you know the drill: First post, new member, all that. (Actually maybe Mark doesn't know.) Please, CPS, feel welcome and post often.

Anyway, Mark, I am not sure it is fair to conclude from Rosen's comment that he is disparaging the work. Attenuating the difficulty of a piece out of consideration for the likely performing forces is not unheard of; Brahms did it with the choral forces of the German Requiem. However, I am happy that Rosen (whom I admire greatly) has enough sense to make a realistic evaluation of a Mozart sonatas, which are too often as a body of work overpraised.

There's nothing remarkable about it. All one has to do is hit the right keys at the right time and the instrument plays itself.
-- Johann Sebastian Bach

ravel30
Posts: 780
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:58 am
Location: Ottawa, Canada

Re: Your Best Mozart

Post by ravel30 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:15 pm

Hi,

I bought the set of all piano sonatas performed by Uchida based on the recommandation made by many people here and I regretted purchasing it. She is a wonderful artist and amazingly talented but I found her playing to lack emotion (that is just my opinion) and excitement at times. Also, could someone explain to me why she played some section of the end of the second mouvement of the sonata K.332 (one of my favorite) differently than anyone else that I have listen to (it was not a coda, in case someone think of that) ? I could try to be more specific if you want.

Matt.

MarkC
Posts: 1630
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:52 pm
Location: New York, NY

Re: Your Best Mozart

Post by MarkC » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:20 pm

jbuck919 wrote:
MarkCannon wrote:P.S. What Charles Rosen said about K. 570.......
First, WELCOME CPS!. Come on, folks, you know the drill: First post, new member, all that. (Actually maybe Mark doesn't know.)
I sort of did but didn't notice that it was his first post!!
.......I am not sure it is fair to conclude from Rosen's comment that he is disparaging the work. Attenuating the difficulty of a piece out of consideration for the likely performing forces is not unheard of.....
I see it differently. Those three words, "and even musical," in that context, seem to me pretty clearly to be saying the work is relatively undemanding musically.

John F
Posts: 21076
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:41 am
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Re: Your Best Mozart

Post by John F » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:21 pm

Mention of Alan Civil reminds me of the great player he was #2 to, Dennis Brain. For me, Brain owns the Mozart concertos - not just in the classic EMI record of all four with Herbert von Karajan, but in earlier 78 rpm sets of #2 and #4. Such technical perfection is less rare now than in Brain's time - his example challenged all later players to measure up to him. It's the musical values that remain unequaled. Brain's phrasing has the security and finesse of a great singer, and indeed sometimes his legato and expressive shading of dynamics makes the music seem like song whose words we can't quite make out. This recording has never been out of print since it was issued in 1954, and I don't suppose it ever will be as long as Mozart's music is still listened to. Brain also played the horn obbligato to Schwarzkopf's singing in the Karajan recording of "Così fan tutte," speaking of great singing, his expressiveness matching hers in "Per pietà, ben mio."
John Francis

MarkC
Posts: 1630
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:52 pm
Location: New York, NY

Re: Your Best Mozart

Post by MarkC » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:23 pm

ravel30 wrote:I bought the set of all piano sonatas performed by Uchida based on the recommendation made by many people here and I regretted purchasing it. She is a wonderful artist and amazingly talented but I found her playing to lack emotion (that is just my opinion) and excitement at times......
Just goes to show. :)

Granting that I only heard one movement of one concerto......I can see why one might think there's a lack of emotion and excitement, because nothing is blaring, but I still found it just about 'perfect' -- and to me, that's not just emotional and exciting; it was exhilarating.

ChrisX
Posts: 444
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:40 pm
Location: the Netherlands

Re: Your Best Mozart

Post by ChrisX » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:36 pm

Isn't it CMG's SOP to recommend Klara Würtz on Brilliant when we are talking about the piano sonatas? A few weeks ago I went out and got them and I immediately took to them. Which is a kind of a miracle because almost any Mozart that I was exposed to left me pretty much cold. Würtz however plays it wonderfully and finally I got some Mozart that really 'clicked' with me.
Chris
"Remember what's been given, not taken away" (Brett Kull)

ravel30
Posts: 780
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:58 am
Location: Ottawa, Canada

Re: Your Best Mozart

Post by ravel30 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:42 pm

John F wrote:Mention of Alan Civil reminds me of the great player he was #2 to, Dennis Brain. For me, Brain owns the Mozart concertos - not just in the classic EMI record of all four with Herbert von Karajan, but in earlier 78 rpm sets of #2 and #4. Such technical perfection is less rare now than in Brain's time - his example challenged all later players to measure up to him. It's the musical values that remain unequaled. Brain's phrasing has the security and finesse of a great singer, and indeed sometimes his legato and expressive shading of dynamics makes the music seem like song whose words we can't quite make out. This recording has never been out of print since it was issued in 1954, and I don't suppose it ever will be as long as Mozart's music is still listened to. Brain also played the horn obbligato to Schwarzkopf's singing in the Karajan recording of "Così fan tutte," speaking of great singing, his expressiveness matching hers in "Per pietà, ben mio."
Alan Civil ? Is it the same Alan Civil that played the horn on the song "For no one" on the album Rubber Soul of the Beatles ? How interesting.

Matt.

ravel30
Posts: 780
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:58 am
Location: Ottawa, Canada

Re: Your Best Mozart

Post by ravel30 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:44 pm

ChrisX wrote:Isn't it CMG's SOP to recommend Klara Würtz on Brilliant when we are talking about the piano sonatas? A few weeks ago I went out and got them and I immediately took to them. Which is a kind of a miracle because almost any Mozart that I was exposed to left me pretty much cold. Würtz however plays it wonderfully and finally I got some Mozart that really 'clicked' with me.
That is it, now I have to get a copy of that set. At first, it was only Chalkie who was praising this set and Chalkie judgement is so so at time (:lol: :lol: :lol: I am just kidding here). But now, almost everybody feel the same way about it. It is almost unanimous. I have rarely seen that on CMG :lol:

Matt.

Brendan

Re: Your Best Mozart

Post by Brendan » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:47 pm

Clara Haskil - piano sonatas and concertos
Ferenc Fricsay - orchestral, choral and opera
Dennis Brain - horn concertos

ContrapunctusIX
Posts: 971
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:09 pm
Location: Minneapolis, MN

Re: Your Best Mozart

Post by ContrapunctusIX » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:58 pm

Grumiaux' violin concertos w/Davis on Philips
Grumiaux Trio/Leseur/Gereux - String Quintets also on Philips
Alban Berg's String Quartets - Teldec
Anda's piano concertos - DG - or Curzon, Casadesus, Serkin
Eschenbach's piano sonatas - DG
Szell...or Klemperer...or Bohm...or Davis...or Krips' Symphonies
Fricsay's C-Minor mass - DG
Davis' Requiem - Philips
Last edited by ContrapunctusIX on Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image

RebLem
Posts: 9117
Joined: Tue May 17, 2005 1:06 pm
Location: Albuquerque, NM, USA 87112, 2 blocks west of the Breaking Bad carwash.
Contact:

Re: Your Best Mozart

Post by RebLem » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:30 pm

Welcome, cps.

I am not that fond of the Uchida piano sonatas. My favorites are the classic Gieseking recordings for structure and the long line, and Alicia de Larrocha for phrasing and the small felicities.

Civil/Klemperer is indeed excellent. I guess my number one recommendations would be the Casadesus/Szell/Cleveland Orchestra recordings of some of the piano concerti, and Szell's recordings generally of Mozart. Here's a 10 CD set http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/alb ... _id=146347 of almost all of Szell's Mozart with Cleveland except for the piano concerti--and it has some of them, too. Highly recommended, especially for the symphonies and the Posthorn Serenade and Eine kleine Nachtmusik.
Don't drink and drive. You might spill it.--J. Eugene Baker, aka my late father
"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."--Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S. Carolina.
"Racism is America's Original Sin."--Francis Cardinal George, former Roman Catholic Archbishop of Chicago.

Werner
CMG's Elder Statesman
Posts: 4223
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2005 9:23 pm
Location: Irvington, NY

Re: Your Best Mozart

Post by Werner » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:46 pm

I haven't heard the Wurtz recordings but assume they're as good as has been mentioned here.

Of course, the approach to the Mozart sonatas seems to vary with the times. As undemanding as they are to play technically, I remember Artur Schnabel's comment on their difficulty. Nothing about technical problems, but a case of being "better than they can be played." Interpretation and entering into the essence of the piece.

An extraordinary approach to Mozart - on the piano - was Wanda Landowska's. Embellishments, extensions, all grounded in scholarship of Mozart era performance practice - an individual approach to the sonatas and concerti that it's too daring to try to emulate. Other notable Mozarteans are, or were, Myra Hess, Mieczyslaw Horszowsky, and too manty others to mention.

My own interest to K 570 came from an ancient cycle by Gieseking, and before I stopped playing the piano, it was one of a group of things about which I decided to have my say in a recording - not competitive with the professionals, but a decent try at "my way." And what struck me was how in studying the score I moved away from the example I started with and developed my own view of it. So I'm not surprised at the variety of interpretations or expert commentary on this as well as many other works. There's simply no one and only way at any of this.
Werner Isler

Heck148
Posts: 3568
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2003 11:53 pm
Location: New England

Re: Your Best Mozart

Post by Heck148 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:08 pm

ravel30 wrote: Alan Civil ? Is it the same Alan Civil that played the horn on the song "For no one" on the album Rubber Soul of the Beatles ?
the very same. he succeeded Brain as Philharmonia principal.

Wallingford
Posts: 4563
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2003 3:31 pm
Location: Brush, Colorado

Re: Your Best Mozart

Post by Wallingford » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:56 pm

MY #1 Mozart performance? MYSELF doing the K.457 Sonata, in c minor, in May 1980!

It was my first college solo recital, & I was too stingy to shell out for an official tape of it! People afterward told me they liked the Mozart performance the best, and it was an interpretation I recall laboring over for the better part of a year....I know I took extra TLC in the slow movement.

(I also did the Grieg Ballade and Bartok's 3 Burlesques; perhaps if & when I get to heaven, I'll request a viewing.)
If I could tell my mom and dad
That the things we never had
Never mattered we were always ok
Getting ready for Christmas day
--Paul Simon

Corlyss_D
Site Administrator
Posts: 27663
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2005 2:25 am
Location: The Great State of Utah
Contact:

Re: Your Best Mozart

Post by Corlyss_D » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:40 pm

cps wrote:I'm curious what you folks here at CMG have as far as 'near-perfect' recordings of Mozart go. It can be anything from the oeuvre; concerti, symphonies, anything.
The Perahia concertos.
Teresa Berganza's Ch'io mi scordi di te?...Non temer, amato bene
Harnoncourt's 1980s recording of Idomeneo
A bootleg tape from 1976 of the Munich house's Figaro
Almost any recording of K364
Ave Verum Corpus by any smaller choir
Serenade for 13 winds by anyone
the clarinet quintet by Melos with Gervase de Peyer
Corlyss
Contessa d'EM, a carbon-based life form

arglebargle
Posts: 228
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:16 pm
Location: Vancouver, Canada

Re: Your Best Mozart

Post by arglebargle » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:46 pm

ContrapunctusIX wrote:Grumiaux Trio/Leseur/Gereux - String Quintets also on Philips
Emphatically agree, also:
K.563 Divertimento - Yo Yo Ma, Gidon Kremer, Kim Kashkashian
I'm JustAFan

Chalkperson
Disposable Income Specialist
Posts: 17669
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:19 pm
Location: New York City
Contact:

Re: Your Best Mozart

Post by Chalkperson » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:30 am

arglebargle wrote:
ContrapunctusIX wrote:Grumiaux Trio/Leseur/Gereux - String Quintets also on Philips
Emphatically agree, also:
K.563 Divertimento - Yo Yo Ma, Gidon Kremer, Kim Kashkashian
Don't forget Grumiaux and Haskil's Violin Sonatas...
Sent via Twitter by @chalkperson

maestrob
Posts: 6981
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:30 am

Re: Your Best Mozart

Post by maestrob » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:40 am

This just came to mind.....

Image

....and no one has mentioned Marriner's superb set of symphonies, which are energized and sparkling from beginning to end!

Image

JackC
Posts: 2987
Joined: Tue May 20, 2003 10:57 am

Re: Your Best Mozart

Post by JackC » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:03 pm

MarkCannon wrote:
jbuck919 wrote:
MarkCannon wrote:P.S. What Charles Rosen said about K. 570.......
First, WELCOME CPS!. Come on, folks, you know the drill: First post, new member, all that. (Actually maybe Mark doesn't know.)
I sort of did but didn't notice that it was his first post!!
.......I am not sure it is fair to conclude from Rosen's comment that he is disparaging the work. Attenuating the difficulty of a piece out of consideration for the likely performing forces is not unheard of.....
I see it differently. Those three words, "and even musical," in that context, seem to me pretty clearly to be saying the work is relatively undemanding musically.

Rosen's "and even musical" remark is just silly. Listen to Schnabel's heavenly playing of the slow movement. As he said, Mozart is too easy for children- and too difficult for adults.


dirkronk
Posts: 832
Joined: Fri May 23, 2003 11:16 pm
Location: San Antonio, Texas

Re: Your Best Mozart

Post by dirkronk » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:43 pm

Brendan wrote:Clara Haskil - piano sonatas and concertos
Agree most heartily. Clara's Mozart concerti (with Fricsay, Markevitch et al) are superb, as are her violin sonatas with Grumiaux (if only they'd done ALL of them!). However, she gave us far too few of the piano sonatas. Luckily for us, the earlier of Lili Kraus's two sonata traversals (currently on Music & Arts, I believe) conveys a similar devotion to Mozart and a truly beautiful presentation of the pieces...I highly recommend this set.

Lili Kraus's concerto recordings are not on the same level, with a few exceptions: two being her 12th and 18th piano concertos with Monteux, mono recordings on RCA.

Others whose piano concertos I must endorse as essential: Casadesus/Szell and Serkin/Szell.

Szell again in late symphonies (esp. 35, 39, 40 & 41) and some of the serenades.
Britten conducting the Prague symphony.
And here's a recommendation for anyone who can handle big orchestra renditions of Eine Kleine Nachtmusik...Reiner's old mono with Chicago is just too infectious NOT to recommend, even though I usually like small groups in this music.

More later...

Dirk

MarkC
Posts: 1630
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:52 pm
Location: New York, NY

Re: Your Best Mozart

Post by MarkC » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:06 pm

JackC wrote:
MarkCannon wrote:P.S. What Charles Rosen said about K. 570.......
I see it differently. Those three words, "and even musical".....seem to me pretty clearly to be saying the work is relatively undemanding musically.
Rosen's "and even musical" remark is just silly. Listen to Schnabel's heavenly playing of the slow movement. As he said, Mozart is too easy for children- and too difficult for adults.
Agree totally, unless somehow Charles Rosen is speaking and thinking in some loftier language than we mere mortals can grasp. :lol:

The Schnabel recording was how I got acquainted with the piece and became dying to play it.

DavidRoss
Posts: 3384
Joined: Mon May 30, 2005 7:05 am
Location: Northern California

Re: Your Best Mozart

Post by DavidRoss » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:07 pm

Welcome cps. Würtz has long been a standard recommendation for the sonatas, not just here but everywhere. She's good, but to me seems a bit like a golden retriever where I prefer the subtle wit and sensitivity that I hear in Uchida--and I also recommend Pires. Some of Brendel's latest recordings please me quite a bit, but I've not heard them all.

As for the piano concertos, my fave is Schiff/Vegh--wonderful overall. See the recent thread on complete cycle recordings.

The great da Ponte operas are well-served by Jacobs. I'm also a big fan of Böhm's Cosi and Flute.

The violin concertos have lately received their due from Carmignola/Abbado--terrific recordings...and so are Abbado's recent Mozart symphonies with his Orchestra Mozart.

And the Hagens' SQs are nearly indispensible.
"Most men, including those at ease with problems of the greatest complexity, can seldom accept even the simplest and most obvious truth if it would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions which they have delighted in explaining to colleagues, which they have proudly taught to others, and which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabric of their lives." ~Leo Tolstoy

"It is the highest form of self-respect to admit our errors and mistakes and make amends for them. To make a mistake is only an error in judgment, but to adhere to it when it is discovered shows infirmity of character." ~Dale Turner

"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either." ~Albert Einstein
"Truth is incontrovertible; malice may attack it and ignorance may deride it; but, in the end, there it is." ~Winston Churchill

Image

Marc
Posts: 320
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:45 pm

Re: Your Best Mozart

Post by Marc » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:16 pm

ContrapunctusIX wrote: Davis' Requiem - Philips
Yes, especially his first recording. Not the one with the Bavarians.
ravel30 wrote: Alan Civil ? Is it the same Alan Civil that played the horn on the song "For no one" on the album Rubber Soul of the Beatles ? How interesting.
"For no one"! Now there's a beautiful song that Mozart would have loved! :D

Oh, sorry, ON-topic:
my favourite Mozart is the opera Le Nozze di Figaro, performed by Sir Georg Solti cum suis (a.o. Te Kanawa, Allen, Popp, Ramey, Von Stade). This performance really is a folle journée!

Chalkperson
Disposable Income Specialist
Posts: 17669
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:19 pm
Location: New York City
Contact:

Re: Your Best Mozart

Post by Chalkperson » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:06 pm

dirkronk wrote:Luckily for us, the earlier of Lili Kraus's two sonata traversals (currently on Music & Arts, I believe) conveys a similar devotion to Mozart and a truly beautiful presentation of the pieces...I highly recommend this set.
I certainly second the Lili Kraus Recommendation on M+A, it's beautifully played and much better than her later Sony Set...
Sent via Twitter by @chalkperson

dirkronk
Posts: 832
Joined: Fri May 23, 2003 11:16 pm
Location: San Antonio, Texas

Re: Your Best Mozart

Post by dirkronk » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:56 pm

Chalkperson wrote:
dirkronk wrote:Luckily for us, the earlier of Lili Kraus's two sonata traversals (currently on Music & Arts, I believe) conveys a similar devotion to Mozart and a truly beautiful presentation of the pieces...I highly recommend this set.
I certainly second the Lili Kraus Recommendation on M+A, it's beautifully played and much better than her later Sony Set...
FWIW, if anyone is truly interested in this 5-CD set, I just checked and the M+A website has it on sale for $29.80 (marked down from $59.80) through the end of January.

Cheers,

Dirk

Jack Kelso
Posts: 3004
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2005 11:52 pm
Location: Mannheim, Germany

Re: Your Best Mozart

Post by Jack Kelso » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:53 am

I love Barry Tuckwell for the horn concerti, Haebler and Kirschnereit and a few others for the piano concerti, Gardiner for the late symphonies, often Norrington for the earlier ones. Always discovering new performances, so I leave a lot open to new possibilities, since Mozart's music can well withstand quite a diverse spectrum of interpretations.

Tschüß.
Jack
"Schumann's our music-maker now." ---Robert Browning

Tiger
Posts: 453
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:03 pm
Location: Albuquerque

Re: Your Best Mozart

Post by Tiger » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:46 am

My favorite Mozart work is the Mass in C minor; best recording comes from Leppard on EMI.

Wallingford
Posts: 4563
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2003 3:31 pm
Location: Brush, Colorado

Re: Your Best Mozart

Post by Wallingford » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:37 pm

Dorati's performances of Mozart are, at their best, as solid and reliable as his Haydn. Dorati's Eine kleine Nachtmusik is as perfect a performance as I've ever heard.
If I could tell my mom and dad
That the things we never had
Never mattered we were always ok
Getting ready for Christmas day
--Paul Simon

Brendan

Re: Your Best Mozart

Post by Brendan » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:36 pm

Tiger wrote:My favorite Mozart work is the Mass in C minor; best recording comes from Leppard on EMI.
Sorry to differ: the best recording is with Ferenc Fricsay on DG. Maria Stader is breathtaking.

Jared
CMG's Chief Resident Newbie
Posts: 3157
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:50 pm
Location: Hereford Cathedral

Re: Your Best Mozart

Post by Jared » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:51 pm

being as I'm very much in the Mozart lovers camp, I shall just post two great interpretations of masterpieces which make the hairs stand up on the back of my neck, when I hear them...

Image

Image

really, I could listen to those all day, as I could these wonderful choral works:

Image

8)

Tiger
Posts: 453
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:03 pm
Location: Albuquerque

Re: Your Best Mozart

Post by Tiger » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:11 pm

Brendan wrote:
Tiger wrote:My favorite Mozart work is the Mass in C minor; best recording comes from Leppard on EMI.
Sorry to differ: the best recording is with Ferenc Fricsay on DG. Maria Stader is breathtaking.
I agree that Stader is amazing; that's why I have kept the recording all these years. However, there is the small matter of conducting, and Leppard trumps Fricsay in the Great Mass. The tension Fricsay brings to the music is sometimes deficient, and tempos can be too slow. Further, the recorded sound has a harsh quality that damages choral sections. However, with Stader in the equation, the recording is a keeper.

Brendan

Re: Your Best Mozart

Post by Brendan » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:16 pm

I also disagree that Leppard "trumps' Fricsay in any way in this work, who was legendary for his "definitive" Mozart (and other) recordings.

Ferenc Fricsay was simply one of the finest (Mozart) conductors ever.

Adair
Posts: 55
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:29 pm

Re: Your Best Mozart

Post by Adair » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:11 pm

My favorite Mozart recordings are:
Beecham's Magic Flute (Karajan's 1950's recording a near second)
Ferenc Fricsay's Great Mass in C Minor (just miraculous, really!)
The Barchet performing Mozart's String Quintets
Elisabeth Schwarzkopf doing Mozart songs (old Angel recording with Gieseking accompanying)

Tiger
Posts: 453
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:03 pm
Location: Albuquerque

Re: Your Best Mozart

Post by Tiger » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:58 am

Brendan wrote:I also disagree that Leppard "trumps' Fricsay in any way in this work, who was legendary for his "definitive" Mozart (and other) recordings.

Ferenc Fricsay was simply one of the finest (Mozart) conductors ever.
I'm very skeptical of the notion of definitive recordings for works that are frequently recorded. But Fricsay was an exceptional Mozart conductor.

Imperfect Pitch
Posts: 652
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:55 pm
Location: Brookline, MA

Re: Your Best Mozart

Post by Imperfect Pitch » Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:51 am


cps: Welcome to CMG! Perfect performances of Mozart? I'd say Murray Perahia's K. 310 comes very close, except the slow movement drags a bit. So, I created an iPod playlist where Perahia plays the outer movements and Dinu Lipatti plays the middle movement. Perfection! Similarly with Vesperae Solennes de Confessore K. 339: Trevor Pinnock's recording is near-perfect, except I like to substitute Kathleen Battle's lovely one-off performance of the Laudate Dominum movement. I also think Elly Ameling's hard-to-find recording of Mozart lieder is exquisite.

P.S. You'll see that any thread about Mozart instantaneously attracts, like a mouse to cheese, a certain poster who has an all-consuming anti-Mozart fixation. This reminds me of local Red Sox fans and their infatuation with hating a certain baseball team that is based some 200 miles south of here (where I used to live and root for said team); but anyway, this starts a lot of back-and-forth sideline chatter. Don't be turned off, stay a while ...

barney
Posts: 4199
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:12 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: Your Best Mozart

Post by barney » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:28 am

Chalkperson wrote:The Rondo K511 and The String Quintets...
Absolutely. Well said.

barney
Posts: 4199
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:12 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: Your Best Mozart

Post by barney » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:30 am

ContrapunctusIX wrote:Grumiaux' violin concertos w/Davis on Philips
Grumiaux Trio/Leseur/Gereux - String Quintets also on Philips
Again, absolutely, well said. Also Grumiaux sonatas. Purity, sympathy, wonderful line and shape.

Re the Civil discussion (it's nice to be civil ), don't forget my compatriot Barry Tuckwell. I'd put him second to Brain, whose horn concerti are, as noted by others, simply superb.

barney
Posts: 4199
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:12 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: Your Best Mozart

Post by barney » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:37 am

Corlyss_D wrote:
The Perahia concertos.
Harnoncourt's 1980s recording of Idomeneo
Almost any recording of K364
Ave Verum Corpus by any smaller choir
Serenade for 13 winds by anyone
the clarinet quintet by Melos with Gervase de Peyer
Yes, yes. Indeed. Not so keen on the newer, faster sinfonia concertantes. Mozart must breathe. Figaro, the greatest story ever sung, impossible to choose just one, but I quite like the new Harnoncourt. Nobody has mentioned the deeply profound viola and violin duets. A piano concerto slow movement will be played at my funeral - not sure which one, maybe K271, K466, K595, oh could be nearly any of them.

Adair
Posts: 55
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:29 pm

Re: Your Best Mozart

Post by Adair » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:38 am

I forgot to add: Beecham's Jupiter...pure joy.

keaggy220
Posts: 4721
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:42 pm
Location: Washington DC Area

Re: Your Best Mozart

Post by keaggy220 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:45 am

This spends a lot of time in the player

Mozart: Clarinet Concerto; Clarinet Quintet [ORIGINAL RECORDING REMASTERED]
Richard Stoltzman (Performer, Conductor), Richard Stolzman (Performer, Conductor), Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (Composer), English Chamber Orchestra (Orchestra)
Label: RCA
"I guess we're all, or most of us, the wards of the nineteenth-century sciences which denied existence of anything it could not reason or explain. The things we couldn't explain went right on but not with our blessing... So many old and lovely things are stored in the world's attic, because we don't want them around us and we don't dare throw them out."
— John Steinbeck, The Winter of Our Discontent


"He has shown you, O mortal, what is good.
And what does the LORD require of you?
To act justly and to love mercy
and to walk humbly with your God."
- Micah 6:8

maestrob
Posts: 6981
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:30 am

Re: Your Best Mozart

Post by maestrob » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:29 pm

keaggy220 wrote:This spends a lot of time in the player

Mozart: Clarinet Concerto; Clarinet Quintet [ORIGINAL RECORDING REMASTERED]
Richard Stoltzman (Performer, Conductor), Richard Stolzman (Performer, Conductor), Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (Composer), English Chamber Orchestra (Orchestra)
Label: RCA
Yes, indeed. Exquisite!

Jared
CMG's Chief Resident Newbie
Posts: 3157
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:50 pm
Location: Hereford Cathedral

Re: Your Best Mozart

Post by Jared » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:01 pm

maestrob wrote:
keaggy220 wrote:This spends a lot of time in the player

Mozart: Clarinet Concerto; Clarinet Quintet [ORIGINAL RECORDING REMASTERED]
Richard Stoltzman (Performer, Conductor), Richard Stolzman (Performer, Conductor), Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (Composer), English Chamber Orchestra (Orchestra)
Label: RCA
Yes, indeed. Exquisite!
I really do love the Clarinet Concerto (I own the Charles Neidich/ Orpheus Chamber version on DG). In fact I really enjoy all of his Concertos for Wind Instruments, but have yet to experience his Clarinet Quintet, which will be one for the coming year, I think.. :wink:

I have recently been discovering some his Piano Trios, which are also delightful.. quintessential Mozart at his most playful.. :D

Tiger
Posts: 453
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:03 pm
Location: Albuquerque

Re: Your Best Mozart

Post by Tiger » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:09 pm

Jared wrote:
maestrob wrote:
keaggy220 wrote:This spends a lot of time in the player

Mozart: Clarinet Concerto; Clarinet Quintet [ORIGINAL RECORDING REMASTERED]
Richard Stoltzman (Performer, Conductor), Richard Stolzman (Performer, Conductor), Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (Composer), English Chamber Orchestra (Orchestra)
Label: RCA
Yes, indeed. Exquisite!
I really do love the Clarinet Concerto (I own the Charles Neidich/ Orpheus Chamber version on DG). In fact I really enjoy all of his Concertos for Wind Instruments, but have yet to experience his Clarinet Quintet, which will be one for the coming year, I think.. :wink:

I have recently been discovering some his Piano Trios, which are also delightful.. quintessential Mozart at his most playful.. :D
Given your preferences, you'll love the Clarinet Quintet. The Piano Trios are excellent, but I prefer the Sonatas for Violin and Piano.

Jared
CMG's Chief Resident Newbie
Posts: 3157
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:50 pm
Location: Hereford Cathedral

Re: Your Best Mozart

Post by Jared » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:22 pm

Tiger wrote:Given your preferences, you'll love the Clarinet Quintet. The Piano Trios are excellent, but I prefer the Sonatas for Violin and Piano.
Don, this is why some CMG members envy me.. because I still have many masterpieces to listen to and enjoy for the very first time in my life.. 8) anyway, I haven't gotten around to his Sonatas yet, either, but I'm sure I'm in for a treat.. :wink:

thanks for your help.. :D

Chalkperson
Disposable Income Specialist
Posts: 17669
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:19 pm
Location: New York City
Contact:

Re: Your Best Mozart

Post by Chalkperson » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:10 pm

Tiger wrote:Given your preferences, you'll love the Clarinet Quintet. The Piano Trios are excellent, but I prefer the Sonatas for Violin and Piano.
Me too, for some reason I have never warmed to the Trios...
Sent via Twitter by @chalkperson

Jared
CMG's Chief Resident Newbie
Posts: 3157
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:50 pm
Location: Hereford Cathedral

Re: Your Best Mozart

Post by Jared » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:42 pm

If I may be so bold, I'd like to steer this thread into a slightly different direction... :D

about a year ago, the BBC Music Mag did an internal 'poll' highlighting the top 10 child prodigy composers, yet Mozart didn't feature. Anticipating controversy, they suggested that his earliest memorable works were completed when he was around 18/19 yo. It has also been mentioned that there is very little 'top drawer' Mozart which is numbered below Kochel 300 in his catalogue...

so, CMGers... please tell me which of Mozart's works below K300 would be your favourite, and if you can, tell us why.. :D :?: :idea:

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests