I Hate Being Asked About My Favorites

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Post Reply
THEHORN
Posts: 2624
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:57 am

I Hate Being Asked About My Favorites

Post by THEHORN » Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:54 pm

I can't choose favorites in general, whether in music or whatever.
I don't have a favorite color because I could never see any reason to like onecolor above others. I like all colors,even gray !
I don't have a favorite food, drink, film, television program, book or painting, sculpture ,poem or drama.
I can't put symphonies, operas,concertos or whatever on lists.
Of course, I like some works more than others, and don't like some at all. but I can't choose a favorite.
And there are so many conductors, violinists,cellists,pianists,other instrumentalists and singers I admire,living and dead, I can't say which are my favorites.
The most I could do would be to make a list of certain composers who are especially dear to me. But I couldn't arrange their works in any order .
My list would be: Wagner, Bruckner, Mahler, Richard Strauss,
Dvorak,Smetana, Janacek, Berlioz, Prokofiev, Shostakovich ,
Elgar, Sibelius,Nielsen, Bartok, Ives, and Roussel.
Which is not to say that I don't love Bach,Handel,Haydn,Mozart,Beethoven, Schubert,Schumann, Brahms,
Tchaikovsky, Rimsky-Korsakov, Borodin, Rachmaninov, Stravinsky,
Copland, Messiaen ,etc.
It' like asking a mother with 12 children which is her favorite !






:roll: :roll:








:roll: :roll:

NancyElla
Posts: 659
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:51 pm

Re: I Hate Being Asked About My Favorites

Post by NancyElla » Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:57 pm

What he said. . . ! :lol:
"This is happiness; to be dissolved into something complete and great." --Willa Cather

moldyoldie
Posts: 588
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:51 pm
Location: Motown, USA

Re: I Hate Being Asked About My Favorites

Post by moldyoldie » Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:58 pm

I hear ya. :roll:
"Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time."
- Steve Wright

Brendan

Re: I Hate Being Asked About My Favorites

Post by Brendan » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:00 pm

Just put the first that come to mind and don't worry about it. It's trivia.

SaulChanukah

Re: I Hate Being Asked About My Favorites

Post by SaulChanukah » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:05 pm

THEHORN wrote:I can't choose favorites in general, whether in music or whatever.
I don't have a favorite color because I could never see any reason to like onecolor above others. I like all colors,even gray !
I don't have a favorite food, drink, film, television program, book or painting, sculpture ,poem or drama.
I can't put symphonies, operas,concertos or whatever on lists.
Of course, I like some works more than others, and don't like some at all. but I can't choose a favorite.
And there are so many conductors, violinists,cellists,pianists,other instrumentalists and singers I admire,living and dead, I can't say which are my favorites.
The most I could do would be to make a list of certain composers who are especially dear to me. But I couldn't arrange their works in any order .
My list would be: Wagner, Bruckner, Mahler, Richard Strauss,
Dvorak,Smetana, Janacek, Berlioz, Prokofiev, Shostakovich ,
Elgar, Sibelius,Nielsen, Bartok, Ives, and Roussel.
Which is not to say that I don't love Bach,Handel,Haydn,Mozart,Beethoven, Schubert,Schumann, Brahms,
Tchaikovsky, Rimsky-Korsakov, Borodin, Rachmaninov, Stravinsky,
Copland, Messiaen ,etc.
It' like asking a mother with 12 children which is her favorite !






:roll: :roll:








:roll: :roll:

I used to be into this kind of stuff like 10 years ago...

Its so childish in my mind, but if some people like it, then its fine.

ravel30
Posts: 780
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:58 am
Location: Ottawa, Canada

Re: I Hate Being Asked About My Favorites

Post by ravel30 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:33 pm

Here something to perchaps make you think about Saul.

“Judge a person by their questions, rather than their answers.” by Voltaire.

ContrapunctusIX
Posts: 971
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:09 pm
Location: Minneapolis, MN

Re: I Hate Being Asked About My Favorites

Post by ContrapunctusIX » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:11 pm

it's everyone's right to refrain from answering. I think everyone has been pretty clear about the fact that they KNOW it's a childish excercise; nevertheless it's interesting seeing everyone's preferences.

Chalkperson
Disposable Income Specialist
Posts: 17669
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:19 pm
Location: New York City
Contact:

Re: I Hate Being Asked About My Favorites

Post by Chalkperson » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:27 pm

It's no more childish than (m)any of Saul's Threads... :mrgreen:
Sent via Twitter by @chalkperson

Lance
Site Administrator
Posts: 18504
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:27 am
Location: Binghamton, New York
Contact:

Re: I Hate Being Asked About My Favorites

Post by Lance » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:35 pm

Tsk, tsk!
Chalkperson wrote:It's no more childish than (m)any of Saul's Threads... :mrgreen:
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief
______________________________________________________

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Image

MarkC
Posts: 1630
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:52 pm
Location: New York, NY

Re: I Hate Being Asked About My Favorites

Post by MarkC » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:37 pm

THEHORN wrote:I can't choose favorites in general, whether in music or whatever....
Here's one that might interest you:

What is your most unfavorite thread from among our "Choose Your Favorites"?

(a) Your Four Favorite Sopranos
(b) Your Ten favorite symphonies
(c) Your TOP 100 ACCORDIONISTS!
(d) Your Top 10 Music Jokes
(e) Your Five Favorite Composers
(F) Other
Don't expect me to be sane, I'm playing Scriabin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ySs4aQ8 ... D6&index=0

Chalkperson
Disposable Income Specialist
Posts: 17669
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:19 pm
Location: New York City
Contact:

Re: I Hate Being Asked About My Favorites

Post by Chalkperson » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:54 pm

I'm in one of those "Impish" moods today... :wink:
Lance wrote:Tsk, tsk!
Chalkperson wrote:It's no more childish than (m)any of Saul's Threads... :mrgreen:
Sent via Twitter by @chalkperson

Corlyss_D
Site Administrator
Posts: 27663
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2005 2:25 am
Location: The Great State of Utah
Contact:

Re: I Hate Being Asked About My Favorites

Post by Corlyss_D » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:05 am

It's just a conversation starter. Most people have them and like to talk about them. Play or don't play.
Corlyss
Contessa d'EM, a carbon-based life form

SaulChanukah

Re: I Hate Being Asked About My Favorites

Post by SaulChanukah » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:07 am

Chalkperson wrote:It's no more childish than (m)any of Saul's Threads... :mrgreen:
There is nothing wrong with childish threads.

Marc
Posts: 320
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:45 pm

Re: I Hate Being Asked About My Favorites

Post by Marc » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:16 am

THEHORN wrote:I can't choose favorites in general, whether in music or whatever.
I don't have a favorite color because I could never see any reason to like onecolor above others. I like all colors,even gray!
Alas, my friend, then we would have to part when trying to cross The Bridge of Death ....

WHAT is your favourite colour?
I dunno .... Auuuuuuuugh!


BTW: mine is green. :)
The capital of the US of A is Washington, District of Colombia.
And the flying speed of my neighbour is depending on how much I like him.

slofstra
Posts: 8981
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:23 pm
Location: Waterloo, ON, Canada
Contact:

Re: I Hate Being Asked About My Favorites

Post by slofstra » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:12 am

Corlyss_D wrote:It's just a conversation starter. Most people have them and like to talk about them. Play or don't play.
Exactly. I guess we really didn't need 17 conversation starters all at the same time. Might have been an idea to spread them out over time but it's a forum so I suspect some of these will just die on the vine. I can never understand complaints about the lack of merit of certain topics. So, don't read them. A forum is not like a magazine or book with limited space.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: maestrob and 61 guests