CDs I've Recently Taken Out From My Library

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

THEHORN

CDs I've Recently Taken Out From My Library

Post by THEHORN » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:00 am

I'm continuing to bask in the wonderful selection of recently aquired CDs at my local library, not to mention some I've borrowed through interlibrary loans .

Here are some of them: Beethoven ,symphonies 5 and 6, Mengelberg/Concertgebouw ,Teldec. Beethoven the old-fashioned way, but it works. Does any one know if these are the same recordings which were on the complete set of the symphonies on Philips?

Tristan&Isolde , Dernsesch, Vickers, Ludwig, Berry,Karajan,BPO. EMI.
This is as good as any Tristan on records I've heard.

Bartok: two CDs for the price of one set. Miraculous Mandarin and Music for Strings,Percussion and Celesta, with Dorati&Detroit Sym,
plus the almost never heard early Suite no 1 for orchestra, a delightful work which should be heard more often, plus the early and Lisztian Rhapsody for piano& Orch, with Pacal Roge and Walter Weller&LSO.
An excellent bargain.

Villa-Lobos. Symphony no 10, Amerindia. A fascinating choral symphony in 5 movements ,tracing the coming of the Brazilian conquerors and the native tribes, sung in Portuguese,Latin and the Tupinmaba language. Harmonia Mundi, Victor Pablo Perez& Tenerife Symphony (a surprisingly good orchestra in the Canary Islands off of Africa!).

Verdi; Aroldo . A reworking of Stiffelio , which was revived by the Met recently, this time with the story set in medieval Saxon England, with Neil Shicoff, Carol Vaness and Roberto Scandiuzzi, with Fabio Luis & the Maggio Musicale Florence forces,on Philips.

Don Juan, Death and Tranfiguration and Till Eulenspiegel on CBS with Szell and the Cleveland. Brilliantly played, surgically clean, but curiously lacking in Straussian warmth and glow.

Le Nozze Di Figaro, with Sir Colin Davis,and BBC Sym, with Freni, Norman, Wixell, and Minton etc. Excellent, on Philips.

Mahler 7, with Michael Tilson Thomas . Not part of the San Francisco cycle, but with LSO on RCA. Haven't heard it yet.

Well -Tempred Clavier with Rosalyn Tureck from the 1950s, recently reissued on DG.

Rossini: L'Italiana in Algeri, with Berganza,Alva and Corena, conducted by the late Silvio Varviso. Is this the first feminist opera?
It's great fun,anyway.

Bruckner 6th, with Kent Nagano and the Deutsches Sinfonie orchestra,Berlin ,Harmonia Mundi.

Grieg, complete piano works on RCA. 7 CDs, excellent performances by Gerhard Oppitz.

Debussy&Ravel string quartets,plus Webern pieces, Juilliard Quartet on Testament .

Mozart , complete piano concertos, Barenboim, ECO on EMI .

Das Rheingold, part of Decca's abortive Ring cycle with Dohnanyi and Cleveland , with Robert Hale, Hannah Schwarz, etc.
A fine performance. Too bad it didn't go beyond Die Walkure.

Benvenuto Cellini, on LSO live, with Colin Davis, Gregory Kunde and Laura Claycomb etc. A scintillating performance of this rarely performed Berlioz opera.

Bruckner 1rst with Solti/Chicago on Decca. Mahler 8th with LPO on EMI, Nielsen 2 and 5 on RCA with Berglund and Royal Danish orchestra, all excellent.

Pelleas&Melisande , a live pirated performance from Rome conducted by the young Lorin Maazel ,with Jeanette Pilou.

RichardMitnick

Re: CDs I've Recently Taken Out From My Library

Post by RichardMitnick » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:18 pm

There is now apparently a "radio" available with some Fords where if you put in the CD, it will automatically be ripped to .mp3.

So, that means "fair use" is legit. Which means, before you return them, rip them to a file format of your choice.
>>RSM
Please visit my blog
"MusicSprings"
http://musicsprings.wordpress.com

Are you a cruncher? Please visit
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org
http://boinc.berkeley.edu

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:15 am

Actually, consumer tech does not make the law: we've had the ability to rip library CDs to .mp3 or .wav files on computer fo more than 10 years now: that doesn't make it legal. The fact that nobody pays attention when you copy a CD doesn't make it legal.

Fair use actually applies to broadcast material, of which it is legal to make a personal copy. Copying a CD is still illegal as far as I know, same as copying a DVD.

The fact that lots of people do something doesn't make it legal to do so. If they're getting away with it, that means that nobody's bothering to enforce the law.

I take the position that copying CDs is not hurting sales, because during the 1970's when I used to share cassette copies of records (yes, I liked rock & jazz then), record sales were booming. There's something else going on today (like illegal file sharing) coupled with a basic lack of quality that's leading to the lack of interest in current pop music sales.

I'm off-topic here, so I'll stop now. Besides, I'm no expert: I'm just guessing.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:20 pm

http://mp3.about.com/od/digitalmusicfaq ... _legal.htm
Under US copyright law, if you convert (rip) an original CD that you own to digital files, then this qualifies as 'Fair Use'. As long as you use it for your own personal use and don't distribute the copyrighted material to others, then you will not be breaking the law.

According to the RIAA web site, it's acceptable to make a copy of an original CD as digital music files or to burn a single copy for your own private use, but not to share with others. The main thing to remember is, never distribute music from your legally owned original CDs in any form.
This doesn't necessarily address borrowed library CDs...a possible legal technicality.

(edit)
Ah, here's more: http://mp3.about.com/od/digitalmusicfaq ... g_laws.htm
When it comes to digital music and the law, a lot of people are confused about what they can and can’t do. Here is a list of CD dos and don’ts that will keep you safe.

Dos:

* Ripping CDs: Only rip original CDs that you legitimately own - borrowing an original CD off someone doesn't count.

* Digital Music Files: You can transfer digital music files to your own personal MP3 player providing those files have been ripped directly from a CD that you legitimately own.

* Copying a CD: Only copy original CDs that you legitimately own; you can burn ONE copy only for your own personal use.

Don’ts:

* Downloading ripped CD tracks: Never download copyrighted music from non-authorized Internet web sites that provide you with ripped CD tracks.

* Using file sharing programs (P2P): Ensure that if you do have a file sharing program installed on your computer that your legitimate CD rips are never made available to others on the Internet. This constitutes copyright infringement and you risk being sued by the RIAA.

* Copying a CD: Never make copies of CDs that you legitimately own in the belief that it is OK to give to your friends and family.

* Respecting copyright: Don't assume that just because there isn't a copyright notice on a CD or it's packaging that it is free to copy and distribute.

* Borrowing a CD: Borrowing an original CD off someone to make a copy for yourself or others is illegal.

* Digital music files: Don't copy digital music files from someone else’s MP3 player or computer, even if they own the original CD.
:?: But, theoretically, aren't library CDs "owned" in common by all those in the tax or tuition-paying community?
"Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time."
- Steve Wright

absinthe

Post by absinthe » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:58 pm

Libraries can be an excellent source (if they order the items in. Our local library (in the UK) doesn't always and sometimes can't be persuaded. No surprise considering they've faced funding cuts over the past few years). It still costs $0.75 to borrow one but better that than buying something you might not like - gone are the days, alas, when I'd take that risk.

Sometimes I buy (if an indie), sometimes copy. We can get CD-rs "for Audio use" on which a royalty has been prepaid, allowing us to make a copy "for personal use" in just such circumstances as these.

I think they gave up hope of prosecution when audio tape and video recorders came into being. Buyers were warned that recording broadcasts was illegal but recognised that little could be done.

RichardMitnick

Post by RichardMitnick » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:46 pm

Gee, I am glad I brought up the subject of ripping CD's. It certainly stimulated a lively discussion.

What I have not seen, and what no one I know has seen is the actual Code, U.S. or otherwise. I think that this thing with Ford cars is quite a de facto statement, absent any de jure statement. If anyone could find the code, it would be great.

I was involved in a similar discussion on advance playlists on music radio stations. There, I found the code which prohibits them from all but pre-existng situations. That is not the discussion here. If anyone would want me to put up the code in a separate thread, I would be happy to do so.
>>RSM
Please visit my blog
"MusicSprings"
http://musicsprings.wordpress.com

Are you a cruncher? Please visit
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org
http://boinc.berkeley.edu

dirkronk

Post by dirkronk » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:37 pm

THEHORN wrote: Here are some of them: Beethoven ,symphonies 5 and 6, Mengelberg/Concertgebouw ,Teldec. Beethoven the old-fashioned way, but it works. Does any one know if these are the same recordings which were on the complete set of the symphonies on Philips?
No, these are different performances. I think that the Telefunken (Teldec) are studio performances (not positive--I'm at home, not the office where my CDs are), but they were definitely recorded under the auspices of the record label. Earlier, too, IIRC.

The Philips set was a cycle done live in 1940 for Dutch radio (AVRO). The only "sort of" exception wasn't the 5th or 6th...it was the 3rd; the Eroica in the radio transcriptions from 1940 was significantly damaged through a good portion of the first movement. As a result, some sets--including my Philips set of LPs from the 1970s--substitute another performance, one in fact that is (or was) the property of Telefunken (Teldec). I assume the Philips CD set did the same, but someone else will have to corroborate or correct me here. Sets of the cycle released on other labels have been known to issue the actual AVRO 1940 Eroica recording either with the damaged portion filled in with part of another performance OR with the damaged section simply excised, the listener forced to come in late on the performance.

So...back to the 5th and 6th. If you're as much a Mengelberg fan as I am, you'll want both the Teldec disc AND the AVRO cycle. I think they are different enough to warrant duplication. This isn't at all unusual for this conductor. His 1940 LvB 9th from that AVRO cycle is IMO one of the all time great performances of the work, yet it is quite different from the 9th he led just two years earlier (1938).

FWIW,

Dirk