EMI 3 Disk Berwald Set

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

THEHORN

EMI 3 Disk Berwald Set

Post by THEHORN » Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:52 pm

Is any one here familiar with the 3 CD EMI Berwald set with the late Swedish conductor Ulf Bjorlin with the Royal Philharmonic?
I recently borrowed it from my library through the interloan system, and I've been enjoying it quite a lot. Unfortunately, it's available only in MP3 form from arkivmusic.com, although there's a single CD from it with part of it. EMI should definitely make this available again.
It contains the four symphonies, the violin and piano concertos,
and shorter works such as the overtures to the operas The Queen of Goloconda and Estrella de Soria, Play of the Elves, Memories of the Norwegian Mountains, Racing, Baydere Festival, and a work with the curious title "Serious and Cheerful whims".
The violinist is Arve Tellefsen, who was the soloist in Blomstedt's EMI recording of the Nielsen violin concerto, and a pianist who is a new name to me, Marian Migdal, who sounds Israeli by name. The set dates from around 1976,and the sound is excellent.
The performances are all first-rate, and if you can find this,I recommend it.

John F

Re: EMI 3 Disk Berwald Set

Post by John F » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:33 pm

It's a worthwhile set, mainly for all the other music it includes. There have been more stimulating recordings of the Berwald symphonies, but the other works are rarities and worth hearing.
John Francis

stenka razin
CMG's Chief Decorator

Post by stenka razin » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:46 pm

This EMI set is very good and an inexpensive way to get to know the fascinating Swedish original, Franz Berwald. His Symphonies are remarkably fascinating and very easy to master. This set will make you smile. :D :D :D :D

Seán

Post by Seán » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:26 pm

I really like Berwald's symphonies. That set was in Tower Records in Dublin late last year,it wasn't there for long, was sold, and I haven't seen it since then. It's on my wish list.
Seán

"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler

Ted Quanrud

Post by Ted Quanrud » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:27 pm

Hi Robert -

The Bjorlin recordings were my introduction to Berwald many years ago when they first appeared (minus the concertos) on a 2-LP Seraphim set. I was delighted when the radio station where I am a volunteer host acquired the CDs. Although I marginally prefer the Goodman-led set symphonies and overture on Hyperion, now available at half price, I think the Bjorlin set is well worth having.

gfweis

Post by gfweis » Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:19 pm

I recently acquired both the Goodman and the Kamu Berwald Symphonies 1-4 (the Goodman was surprisingly somewhat disappointing). As I had been very impressed by the online musical excerpts from Bjorlin's recordings of these symphonies, which seem to have wonderful pace (the relatively reverberant acoustic, however, might be an issue for some), I also came very close to including the Bjorlin box in my even more recent order from Berkshire Record Outlet; but it didn't make the final cut (close, though). I only order from Berkshire 2-3 times a year, so I'm sure it will be gone by the next time I order. If anyone is interested, it's still there right now, however, and seems to me to be a good buy at $9.98. One does have to be able to order a large enough number of cds to make the BRO shipping charges work for you. Scroll down to find it:

http://www.berkshirerecordoutlet.com/se ... filter=all
Greg Weis

Seán

Post by Seán » Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:05 pm

Slightly off topic I suppose but this is a lovely set:

Seán

"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler

stenka razin
CMG's Chief Decorator

Post by stenka razin » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:44 pm

Seán wrote:Slightly off topic I suppose but this is a lovely set:

sean, not really off target....You have shown us the cover of a wonderful set, that I happily own and recommend also, my friend. 8)

Jack Kelso

Post by Jack Kelso » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:13 am

Seán wrote:Slightly off topic I suppose but this is a lovely set:

Yes, I also own this one. Much more expressive than Naemi Järvi's set. So far, it's my favorite recording of these highly original works. I bought it new in a small record store for 3 Euros!!

Tschüß,
Jack
"Schumann's our music-maker now." ---Robert Browning

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:16 pm

EMI 00920, 3 CDs

Your post made me dig out this splendid EMI set and listen to some of Berwald's music. This is truly a great set. I note that EMI/Svenska owns the copyright on all the recordings, all of which were made in London, England in 1976. They hold up supremely well for recordings made almost 35 years ago and the price is right for this set! EMI also issued a single disc [65073], which contained the piano concerto, violin concerto, and three of Berwald's orchestral works. Thanks for bringing up the name, Robert!
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]