Snow & wind in Binghamton = great listening time!

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

Snow & wind in Binghamton = great listening time!

Post by Lance » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:47 pm

Having experienced the most snow-free winter I have ever seen in these parts, winter has finally caught up with us thus providing extended listening times to such things as that 10-CD box of Leonids Kogan. Ah, the power of suggestion!
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Jared
CMG's Chief Resident Newbie

Re: Snow & wind in Binghamton = great listening time!

Post by Jared » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:23 pm

^^ happy listening, Lance!

it's been around 5 degrees here, with a pale blue sky... certainly milder than it was last year. That said, the hostel has been booked out by a family group who are celebrating a surprise 50th birthday. They are preparing a special meal, so I have been banished to my Manager's flat, where I am just an emergency phonecall away for them, should they need anything. That has left me free for a weekend of Renaissance polyphony and Bach Cantatas...

enjoy your time of peace... 8) :D

Seán

Post by Seán » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:48 pm

After two unusual and ferocious winters with several weeks of snowstorms we have had a lovely mild and dry couple of months.

I am looking forward to a weekend exploring Baroque music and revisiting cds that I haven't listened to in a long time.

Enjoy your weekend gentlemen.
Seán

"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler

John F

Post by John F » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:12 pm

On the way into town I felt a few tiny hard flakes blowing into my face, but that was the size of it. Fine with me!
John Francis

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:31 am

>Having experienced the most snow-free winter I have ever seen in these parts, winter has finally caught up with us<

Please don't send any of that snow east towards Warren County, NJ! :)

> the power of suggestion!<

This made me think of the POWER of the OUTAGE :) --Oct 28 and for 7 more days when we got the foot of snow--since then we've been free of snow! Mother Nature--keep it up! Regards, Len :)

Donaldopato

Post by Donaldopato » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:36 am

We have had little snow here, but the last two days have been windy and quite cold. Mozart is on the tap for today, with a KCS concert tonight. Rach Symphony # 2 and Mozart Piano Concerto # 25.
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

absinthe

Post by absinthe » Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:17 pm

It's been so mild here until yesterday. Now the overcoat must be taken from the wardrobe. But if we can get through winter this far without complaint, the evenings are getting lighter... Summer is on its way!

As I'm staying in it's going to be

Alban Berg:
Lyrische Suite
Lulu Suite
AltenbergLieder
3 Orchesterstuecke
7 Early Songs
Der Wein.

Len_Z

Post by Len_Z » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:04 pm

Lance wrote:Having experienced the most snow-free winter I have ever seen in these parts, winter has finally caught up with us thus providing extended listening times to such things as that 10-CD box of Leonids Kogan. Ah, the power of suggestion!
I love winter, love the snow and am currently suffering through a snowless winter in NYC with temperature unbelievably hovering around 50F

But I've just finished listening to all the 10 CDs from the Kogan's box set, and it actually eased my suffering somewhat.

I loved many pieces, and Leonid Kogan is now firmly entrenched at the top of my favorite violinists list along with Oistrakh, but there was one CD in that box that really shook me to the core:

it's the recording of Rachmaninov's Elegiaque Trio with Svetlanov and Luzanov. I think I have never heard this music played in a more revelatory way.

p.s. ordered every Kogan's CD that I could lay my hands on for a reasonable price (I have a self-imposed limit of $10 that I am willing to pay per CD) and will now try to collect his complete oeuvres. Should keep me busy for a while :)

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:47 am

Well, the $10 self-imposed limit is not a bad way to go, but it will surely limit your acquisitions, and you may have to pay more for the Testament issues referenced, which are stunningly done, outstanding sound, excellent remastering and packaging, and illustrate Kogan at the top of his form. The 5-CD Doremi boxed set [7921-5] is a must-have of a group of piano trios from Russian live and commercial sources with Emil Gilels and Rostropovich. That one might be pricey, but $50 for that set of five discs is well worth it if you can get it at $10/disc. any great Kogan recordings were also issued on the now defunct Revelation label. Please let me know how you make out in your quest for Kogan material.
Len_Z wrote: p.s. ordered every Kogan's CD that I could lay my hands on for a reasonable price (I have a self-imposed limit of $10 that I am willing to pay per CD) and will now try to collect his complete oeuvres. Should keep me busy for a while :)
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

Len_Z

Post by Len_Z » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:20 am

Lance wrote:Well, the $10 self-imposed limit is not a bad way to go, but it will surely limit your acquisitions, and you may have to pay more for the Testament issues referenced, which are stunningly done, outstanding sound, excellent remastering and packaging, and illustrate Kogan at the top of his form. The 5-CD Doremi boxed set [7921-5] is a must-have of a group of piano trios from Russian live and commercial sources with Emil Gilels and Rostropovich. That one might be pricey, but $50 for that set of five discs is well worth it if you can get it at $10/disc. And many superb Kogan recordings were also issued on the now defunct Revelation label. Please let me know how you make out in your quest for Kogan material.
Thanks! I've already ordered the Doremi box set because it was available at exactly $50. As for the Testament bunch, I've decided to hold out on those for the moment. I hope EMI releases their Kogan recordings as an Icon box eventually. If not, I will wait for a sale on mdt or for used copies that, if as my previous experience in collecting music shows, can practically always be found sooner or later. After all, I need to stick to my $10 limit, and also, to have something it can be broken for, if I want to buy myself a present for some special occasion :)

John F

Post by John F » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:32 am

I'd guess that Testament's contract with EMI to reissue its Kogan recordings must include a provision that EMI will not reissue the same recordings itself any time soon, especially at a lower price that undercuts Testament.
John Francis

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:52 am

Interesting, what you say about Testament. Only more recently, in reissues on EMI (Oistrakh material, in particular, among others), I note that EMI gives credit to Testament for the remastering, seemingly long after Testament has marketed the EMI-licensed release. So it must be Testament—not EMI—who remasters and digitizes the original EMI recordings.
John F wrote:I'd guess that Testament's contract with EMI to reissue its Kogan recordings must include a provision that EMI will not reissue the same recordings itself any time soon, especially at a lower price that undercuts Testament.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

Len_Z

Post by Len_Z » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:53 am

John F wrote:I'd guess that Testament's contract with EMI to reissue its Kogan recordings must include a provision that EMI will not reissue the same recordings itself any time soon, especially at a lower price that undercuts Testament.
Then I'm really screwed :( :)

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:27 am

Len_Z wrote: I love winter, love the snow and am currently suffering through a snowless winter in NYC with temperature unbelievably hovering around 50F
Best winter we've had in many years--if only we didn't get smacked on Oct 28--I can listen to music and avoid snow at the same time with no problem at all! Regards, Len :) :) :)

John F

Post by John F » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:21 am

Well, at least the other Len can't complain about the temperatures now - it's freezing at night and not much above freezing during the day.
John Francis

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:25 am

John F wrote:Well, at least the other Len can't complain about the temperatures now - it's freezing at night and not much above freezing during the day.
And I see there's a wintry mix coming in Sat! Regards, Len :(

erato

Post by erato » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:11 pm

Jared wrote:^^ happy listening, Lance!

it's been around 5 degrees here, with a pale blue sky... certainly milder than it was last year. That said, the hostel has been booked out by a family group who are celebrating a surprise 50th birthday.
enjoy your time of peace... 8) :D
After 50 years, how surprised should you be when your 50th arrives?

Jared
CMG's Chief Resident Newbie

Post by Jared » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:27 am

erato wrote: After 50 years, how surprised should you be when your 50th arrives?
ha ha... very drole.. :wink:

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:12 am

John F wrote:Well, at least the other Len can't complain about the temperatures now - it's freezing at night and not much above freezing during the day.
Well now this Len has plenty to complain about--darn snow has ruined our plans to see the HD Met Enchantred Island at the Rockaway Mall today--well at least there's the encore Wed Feb 8! Regards, Len

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:23 pm

Hmmm ... 5 to 6 inches to wake up to this morning. Yuk.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:01 am

Lance wrote:Hmmm ... 5 to 6 inches to wake up to this morning. Yuk.
Agree on the yuk--we had 5 inches too--well we missed Enchanted Island but today it's The Poisoned Kiss--our snow plow guy took care of the driveway and we'll be off for NYC! Regards, Len :)

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:52 am

Seán wrote:we have had a lovely mild and dry couple of months.
Yes and yesterday it almost made it to 60 degrees and with the sun we were inspired to go out bird watching at a place called Merrill Creek Dam near our home--got as close as we've ever been to buffleheads--the smallest diving duck--beautiful!

And even though it was far away our first ever viewing of the snowy owl--they're here in record numbers!

"Bird-Watchers Revel in Unusual Spike in Snowy Owl Sightings"

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/23/scien ... chers.html

Regards, Len

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:32 pm

Almost 60 degrees in the Binghamton NY area, too! Unbelievable, and still no snow! Today, it dropped to 31 - freezing point, of course. Yesterday, people walking around with no coats, and shorts in some cases! Today, everybody's bundled up - and sniffling and hacking and spreading germs. Stay indoors and enjoy your music!
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

Wallingford

Post by Wallingford » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:38 pm

....while meantime in northeastern Colorado we expect to get between 10 and 14 inches overnight, wild winds and all!
Good music is that which falls upon the ear with ease, and quits the memory with difficulty.
--Sir Thomas Beecham

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:50 am

WOW, Neil ... it all sounds exciting, as long as you are in a comfortable home, with dependable electricity, heat, a computer to talk with the world, and time to enjoy your mounds of classical music! I am still anxious to converse with you via telephone. Here it is near 2:00 a.m. as I type this. I don't know what time you go to bed there, but I think you are two hours BEHIND me, so it is near 12:00 o'clock midnight there, yes? If you send me telephone number (I have it somewhere, I'm sure)—send by Private Mail on CMG—and tell me how late I can call events YOUR TIME, you can expect a call from me one of these nights!
Wallingford wrote:....while meantime in northeastern Colorado we expect to get between 10 and 14 inches overnight, wild winds and all!
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:37 am

Lance wrote: still no snow!
Looking at the weather channel website no snow predicted for the next 10 days--keeping fingers crossed! Regards, Len