Fransesca Da Rimini

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Steinway

Fransesca Da Rimini

Post by Steinway » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:04 pm

Attended the performance of this opera yesterday at the Met.

This is an work that hadn't been produced since 1986 at the Met and I must say that in spite of a first-rate cast, this opera doesn't measure up as worthy enough to warrant frequent performances at the Metropolitan

The music is charming but not the slightest bit memorable. The stage settings were stunning , which made it visually attractive. The story is standard stuff, with the hero and the heroine stabbed to death as the saga ends.

Excellent singing by Eva-Maria Westbrook, Marcello Giordani, Mark Delavan, and Robert Brubaker.

Can't win them all and this one was a big disappointment. :(

stenka razin
CMG's Chief Decorator

Re: Fransesca Da Rimini

Post by stenka razin » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:04 pm

I must disagree, my friend. Francesca is an opera that grows on you. The 1st act finale is one of the lovliest operatic scenes in all opera. The Viola d'amore melody will break your heart. It is so poignant. I am always touched by this music. Watch and listen to the 1986 Met performance which I saw on TV and you will be entranced. A truly wonderful opera!

Regards,
Mel 8)

P.S. Any other Francesca fans out there?

P.P.S. Get the Oliviero CD of excerpts on Decca. Stunning recording and sadly one of Olivero's few big label recodings.

Another gem from the 4th act with the great Magda Olivero:

Steinway

Post by Steinway » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:32 pm

Even the magnificent Magda couldn't convince me that this opera is a winner! :)

I did love the cello and oboe pairing, which was charming.

After seeing Don Carlo last week, the spillover just didn't work for me.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:49 pm

Cliftwood wrote:Even the magnificent Magda couldn't convince me that this opera is a winner! :)

I did love the cello and oboe pairing, which was charming.

After seeing Don Carlo last week, the spillover just didn't work for me.
Scotto's singing when she performed the opera disappointed me, but I had a feeling that Zandonai's opus would work better with better singing. It's not a great work, but IMHO a worthy piece.

However, I'd sooner see the MET stage Mefistofele by Boito: now THERE"s an opera worthy of the MET chorus, with perhaps Rene Pape and Poplovskaya.......

Steinway

Post by Steinway » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:16 am

maestrob said..

"However, I'd sooner see the MET stage Mefistofele by Boito: now THERE"s an opera worthy of the MET chorus, with perhaps Rene Pape and Poplovskaya"

A splendid idea, indeed. Now there's an opera worthy of a Met performance and your casting of Pape is particularly sound!

Let's get it done! :lol:

They are doing Mefistofele in San Francisco in the fall !

RebLem
Location: Albuquerque, NM, USA 87112, 2 blocks west of the Breaking Bad carwash.

Post by RebLem » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:33 pm

stenka razin wrote:I must disagree, my friend. Francesca is an opera that grows on you. The 1st act finale is one of the lovliest operatic scenes in all opera. The Viola d'amore melody will break your heart. It is so poignant. I am always touched by this music. Watch and listen to the 1986 Met performance which I saw on TV and you will be entranced. A truly wonderful opera!
Regards, Mel 8)

P.P.S. Get the Oliviero CD of excerpts on Decca. Stunning recording and sadly one of Olivero's few big label recodings.
Yes, there is another Zandonai fan out here in New Mexico. I don't have it in my library; I am waiting for a CD only version. But I saw the 1986 MET broadcast, and for me, entranced is the word. His general style sounds to me like a fortuitous cross between Verdi and Wagner, combining the best elements of both.
Don't drink and drive. You might spill it.--J. Eugene Baker, aka my late father
"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."--Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S. Carolina.
"Racism is America's Original Sin."--Francis Cardinal George, former Roman Catholic Archbishop of Chicago.

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:01 pm

Cliftwood wrote:Attended the performance of this opera yesterday at the Met.

This is an work that hadn't been produced since 1986 at the Met and I must say that in spite of a first-rate cast, this opera doesn't measure up as worthy enough to warrant frequent performances at the Metropolitan The music is charming but not the slightest bit memorable. (
We saw it in 1984 with Domingo and Scotto and Cornell MacNeil--excellent cast and a a wonderful production which I'm glad they are using again--I like the music a lot and often find myself humming part of it--we'll see it HD style and I don't think I'll be as disappointed as you. Regards, Len

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:02 pm

stenka razin wrote:
Mel I'm with you on this--thank goodness Domingo got the Met to invest in it! Regards, Len

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:54 pm

stenka razin wrote: P.S. Any other Francesca fans out there?
Mel now we've seen the opera HD style--wonderful opera despite a character like Malatestino! :) Giordani who has worried me a little of late sang effortlessly and the whole cast was really strong. Radvanovsky interviewed Giordani at one of the intermissions and he said the singing in this opera was just right for him and very easy--he sure got that right! Westbrook was also very effective. The production is just superb--magnificent sets and costumes to die for! Score one for Gelb! Regards, Len

John F

Post by John F » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:22 pm

lennygoran wrote:
stenka razin wrote: Any other Francesca fans out there?
Mel I'm with you on this--thank goodness Domingo got the Met to invest in it!
Actually, it was James Levine who wanted to add "Francesca da Rimini" to the repertoire. During the 1980s he was looking into verismo operas as an alternative to the cliché double bill of Cav and Pag; we heard he was interested in "Il piccolo Marat" by Mascagni but nothing came of it. The problem may have been finding a donor to underwrite its production. So "Francesca da Rimini" it was.
John Francis

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:42 pm

John F wrote: Actually, it was James Levine who wanted to add "Francesca da Rimini" to the repertoire. During the 1980s he was looking into verismo operas as an alternative to the cliché double bill of Cav and Pag; we heard he was interested in "Il piccolo Marat" by Mascagni but nothing came of it. The problem may have been finding a donor to underwrite its production. So "Francesca da Rimini" it was.
Thanks I wasn't aware of that--well Levine's instincts were certainly right on that one! Regards, Len :)

josé echenique

Post by josé echenique » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:28 pm

Francesca da Rimini is one of the few operas were the librettist, in this case the famous poet Gabriele D´ Annunzio got a higher fee than the composer.
If you ask me, I take Meyerbeer over Zandonai any day.

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:39 pm

josé echenique wrote:Francesca da Rimini is one of the few operas were the librettist, in this case the famous poet Gabriele D´ Annunzio got a higher fee than the composer.
Well overall I too would take Meyerbeer over Zandonai--at least this production presents Francesca as well as I think an opera house can present it--fortunately Meyerbeer and Zandonai are not mutually exclusive. Regards, Len :)

josé echenique

Post by josé echenique » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:55 pm

lennygoran wrote:
josé echenique wrote:Francesca da Rimini is one of the few operas were the librettist, in this case the famous poet Gabriele D´ Annunzio got a higher fee than the composer.
Well overall I too would take Meyerbeer over Zandonai--at least this production presents Francesca as well as I think an opera house can present it--fortunately Meyerbeer and Zandonai are not mutually exclusive. Regards, Len :)
But if you are going to spend a ton of money Lenny, wouldn´t it be nicer to do Les Huguenots?
If we could only find a cast :(

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:49 am

josé echenique wrote: But if you are going to spend a ton of money Lenny, wouldn´t it be nicer to do Les Huguenots?
Jose my solution would have been--do the Huguenots, do Francesca, never to have done the Vegas Rigoletto--that disrespectful work cost the Met plenty! Regards, Len :(

stenka razin
CMG's Chief Decorator

Post by stenka razin » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:06 pm

lennygoran wrote:
josé echenique wrote: But if you are going to spend a ton of money Lenny, wouldn´t it be nicer to do Les Huguenots?
Jose my solution would have been--do the Huguenots, do Francesca, never to have done the Vegas Rigoletto--that disrespectful work cost the Met plenty! Regards, Len :(

Len, I agree completely, my friend. :D

Regards,
Mel 8)