The War Sonatas

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Steinway

The War Sonatas

Post by Steinway » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:29 am

I have many interpretations of the Prokofiev Sonatas 6, 7 and 8, works that I have always been fascinated with and compositions that many of the great pianists have recorded with great success.

I always held the opinion that giants like Richter, Askenazy,Bronfman, Kasman, McDermott and Berman and on a selected basis Pletnev, Argerich, Pogorelich and others were all very special, which they are.

Now I've just listened to the recording by Boris Giltburg that totally enthralled me with a performance that is spectacular and left me physically and emotionally exhausted.

I know all of this kind of superlative talk is strictly subjective, but I hope everyone who loves these sonatas will find a way to purchase this CD and feel confident that you'll be as ardent as I am.

Simply, an amazing performance by a remarkably skilled artist.

It's on the Orchid Classics label.

stenka razin
CMG's Chief Decorator

Re: The War Sonatas

Post by stenka razin » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:05 pm

Giltberg is a wonderful young pianist. I have his EMI debut album and I was impressed. Since I know and love the war sonatas, I will try to obtain this new recording. Thumbs up to you, m8.

But, Richter still is the Mount Everest in this repertory. I have never heard any other pianist top him. So, Giltberg has quite a mountain to climb to surpass or equal Richter.

Regards,
Mel 8)

Steinway

Re: The War Sonatas

Post by Steinway » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:06 pm

I'll be very interested in your appraisal, Mel.

Richter is awesome, but Boris ...... :lol: