The RARE Wolfgang Schneiderhan recordings ...

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

The RARE Wolfgang Schneiderhan recordings ...

Post by Lance » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:00 am

I have been a long-time fan of the Austrian-born violinist WOLFGANG SCHNEIDERHAN. He was the husband of soprano Irmgaard Seefried and the two often collaborated together in concert and on recordings. Both are, unfortunately, deceased, but both have left expansive discographies. The subject here, of course, is Wolfgang Schneiderhan. Those lucky enough to have purchased his five-CD DGG concerto set [477.5263] can count their blessings. This was merely a re-introduction to a great artist who seems to be best known in Europe, and especially in Germany. Most of Schneiderhan's recordings were made in the mono period though certainly a few stereo recordings were issued along the way.

Little did I know about some of the EARLIEST Schneiderhan material until I began to notice that DGG-Japan was issuing a series on the violinist. I now count myself lucky to have found four of the Japanese editions, of which there are no notes in English. Only the front covers reveal the contents. For those interested, and after much international searching, I'm happy to share this information:

[a] DGG 459 700 [Japan No. 90178] : Brahms: Violin Concerto in D, Op. 77 w/Berlin PO, van Kempen, conductor (Only the violin concerto came out on the five-CD boxed set. The surprise is a ravishing Sonata No. 3 in d, Op. 77 with Friedrich Wührer at the piano. This is probably the most difficult CD to find of Schneiderhan's today. [Mono only]

DGG 459 706 [Japan No. 90182] : Schubert: 3 Sonatinas; Sonata/Duo with Carl Seemann at the piano [Mono only]

[c] DGG 459 708 [Japan No. 90184] : Violin Recital (encore-type pieces) with Albert Hirsch or Hans Priegnitz at the piano. [Mono only]

[d] DGG 459 716 [Japan No. 90196] : Schubert: 3 Sonatinas; Dvorak: Sonatina with Walter Klien at the piano.

Apparently Japan-DGG issued a whole series of CDs. I am uncertain of what were contained on the other discs though I believe these solo recitals were interspersed with concerto performances that now appear in the five-CD boxed set mentioned above.

If anyone has any other information pertaining to SOLO repertoire on the other DGG CDs, I would be curious to know what they contain. It is also possible that Japan issued a boxed set containing all of Schneiderhan's recordings for DGG. Japanese distribution is not good on these products, and generally, the releases are short-lived.

Other recordings I have that DGG issued with more availability:

[a] DGG 429 159 : Mozart Violin Concertos 3,4,5 with the Berlin PO, Schneiderhan conducting

DGG 439 849 : JS Bach: Six Sonatas for Violin & Harpsichord with Karl Richter, harpsichordist [stereo, 2 CDs]

[c] DGG 445 479 : Schumann: Violin Sonata No. 1; Prokofiev: Violin Sonata No. 2; Beethoven: Violin Sonata No. 9 {Kreutzer} with Carl Seemann, piano [4 CDs]

[d] DDG 447 403 : Beethoven Violin Concerto in D (Berlin PO-E. Jochum, cond.); Mozart: Violin Concerto No. 5 (Berlin PO), Schneiderhan, cond.)

[e] DGG 457 720 : Mozart Violin Concerto No. 4, Berlin PO, Scheiderhan, conducting.

[f] DGG 459 014 : Beethoven: Violin Sonatas #9 {Kreutzer} and Op. 96 with Wilhelm Kempff, piano (r.1952) [Mono only, 10-CD boxed set]

[g] DGG 463 605 [3CDs] : Beethoven: Complete 10 Violin & Piano Sonatas with Wilhelm Kempff, piano (stereo recordings)

[h] DGG 463 653 : Brahms: The three violin sonatas and the FAE sonata with Carl Seemann, piano [Mono only]

DGG 477 5502 : Beethoven: Complete 10 Violin & Piano Sonatas with Carl Seemann, piano.

There are many others, including the Beethoven "Triple" Concerto with Geza Anda, Pierre Fournier, and Fricsay leading the orchestra coupled with Brahms "Double Concerto" with Janos Starker, cellist. [This has generally been available from the first release.]

Going after much of this material has been great fun and is one of the finest aspects of collecting recordings.

Just felt like sharing this information with you tonight!
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

barney

Re: The RARE Wolfgang Schneiderhan recordings ...

Post by barney » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:37 pm

I have very little Schneiderhan: Beethoven triple and violin concertos, Henze violin concerto, Mozart 5. But the Beethoven concerto is sublime.

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:16 am

I'm sure that once you hear his work, you will be delighted will will want more. Il will be happy to welcome you to the "club!"
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

mikealdren

Post by mikealdren » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:33 am

I heard him play (and his wife sing) in about 1970. He made a very small sound but very elegant.

His recording of the four seasons was the first I heard and it's excellent. I've also got his recording of the Frank Martin concerto which I haven't listened to for ages, I suspect he premiered it and I must listen again.

Mike

ContrapunctusIX

Post by ContrapunctusIX » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:52 pm

I greatly enjoyed Schneiderhan's recordings of the Beethoven and Brahms violin sonatas with the also excellent and criminally underrated pianist Carl Seemann. Both surveys rank among my favorites.

Schneiderhan's thin yet singing tone worked especially well in the core Germanic repertoire, although he also recorded works by Henze, Hartmann and Stravinsky.

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:43 am

ContrapunctusIX wrote:Schneiderhan's thin yet singing tone worked especially well in the core Germanic repertoire, although he also recorded works by Henze, Hartmann and Stravinsky.
By chance, I've just listened to a bcst from 1978 of Schneiderhan / Tennstedt / NDR Hamburg in the Berg VC. Schneiderhan's playing is very convincing in this work, esp when one takes into account that he was well into his 60s at the time of this performance.