Paul R. Goldstaub, R.I.P. (Composer/teacher)

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

Paul R. Goldstaub, R.I.P. (Composer/teacher)

Post by Lance » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:29 pm

Paul R. Goldstaub, 66, professor emeritus of music composition and theory, died Friday, Jan. 31, following an illness.

He earned a bachelor’s degree in music education from the Ithaca College School of Music, and his master’s degree and Doctor of Musical Arts degree from the Eastman School of Music. Prior to coming to Binghamton in 1998, he held teaching positions at the Ithaca College School of Music, the College-Conservatory of Music of the University of Cincinnati, Mankato (Minnesota) State University and Eastern Michigan University. He presented lectures, papers and workshops at the Chautauqua Institution, Oberlin Conservatory and Syracuse University, among many others, as well as at national meetings of professional music societies and organizations.

As a composer, pianist, conductor, theorist and educator, music was his life. Goldstaub’s compositions have been performed in multiple venues, including Lincoln Center, Carnegie Hall, off-off Broadway, the Guthrie Theater, Minnesota Opera, Cincinnati Opera and the Society for New Music, as well as in Canada, Great Britain, Germany, Italy, Russia and Japan.

The recipient of grants from the National Endowment for the Arts, the National Endowment for the Humanities, Meet the Composer, the Minnesota State Arts Board and the American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers (ASCAP), Goldstaub’s work for chamber orchestra, “I Am Prospero,” was performed by the Binghamton Philharmonic in 2013, and his final composition, “Mallet Palette,” for marimba and piano duo will be published by Keyboard Percussion Publications/Marimba Publications, Inc. in 2014.

A genuine, kind and thoughtful man with an infectious smile, he shared his unbridled joy of music and life with everyone he met, and expressed his hope that his music would continue to bring pleasure to others through performance.

He is survived by his mother, Sylvia (Vestal); wife, Peg Kelly; three sisters-in-law; one brother-in-law; many nieces, nephews and cousins; a godchild and her brother. The family will receive friends from 4-7 p.m. Wednesday, Feb. 5, at Allen Memorial Home, 511-513 East Main Street, Endicott. Burial will take place in Chautauqua Cemetery, Chautauqua, N.Y., at the convenience of the family. In lieu of flowers, contributions in Goldstaub's memory may be made to The Chautauqua Institution or Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center.

[Taken from post by Binghamton University, Binghamton, New York]
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

johnQpublic

Re: Paul R. Goldstaub, R.I.P. (Composer/teacher)

Post by johnQpublic » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:59 pm

Yet another post that pulls me out of self-exile.

I knew Paul while we both were at Eastman. He was a kind person and at the time very much into music for the theater. I never kept track of him once I left there.

Lance
Site Administrator

Re: Paul R. Goldstaub, R.I.P. (Composer/teacher)

Post by Lance » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:17 pm

Nice to see you post this and to learn you knew Paul. He was very much liked and appreciated in the Binghamton, NY area. I heard one of his chamber pieces performed here by the NOVO Quartet ... it was stunning.
johnQpublic wrote:Yet another post that pulls me out of self-exile.

I knew Paul while we both were at Eastman. He was a kind person and at the time very much into music for the theater. I never kept track of him once I left there.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]