Pianist JOHN OGDON ... new book

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

Pianist JOHN OGDON ... new book

Post by Lance » Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:31 pm

I have long been fascinated with the British pianist, John Ogdon [1937-1989], who had a career though not as brilliant and long-lasting as that of Vladimir Ashkenazy with whom he took a joint first prize at the International Tchaikovsky Competition in Moscow in 1962. It was quite obvious he had some severe mental problems.

Wiki puts it this way: "Ogdon's health was good, and his physical constitution was strong, as his wife [pianist Brenda Lucas] often recalled in her biography [Virtuoso, published in 1981 and reissued in 1989 inconjunction with writer Michael Kerr]. Regarded as a "gentle giant", known and loved for his kindness and generosity, he had tremendous energy. But an everyday business argument seemed to upset him more than expected and then suddenly in 1973 he experienced a severe breakdown. This sometimes changed his personality completely. His illness was initially diagnosed as schizophrenia, but then changed to manic depression (now referred to as bipolar disorder). Either condition may have been inherited from his father, who suffered several psychotic episodes and a mental breakdown. Ogdon spent some time in the Maudsley Hospital in London, and in general needed more nursing than it was possible to provide while touring. Nevertheless, he was reported to maintain three hours' practice a day on the hospital's piano. In 1983, after emerging from hospital, he played at the opening of the Royal Concert Hall in Nottingham. In 1988 he released a five-disc recording of an interpretation of Sorabji's Opus clavicembalisticum. He died in August 1989 of pneumonia, brought on by undiagnosed diabetes." As Stephen Fry's quote says: "I fine insight into a magnificent but hurt mind."

This new book, Piano Man: A LIfe of John Ogdon, issued in 2014 and published by Simon & Schuster, was written by Charles Beauclerk. Talk about a revealing book. It is difficult to imagine a pianist of this stature who was virtually reduced to the poorhouse. Ogdon made quite a few recordings, mostly for EMI and RCA Victor [both have issued comprehensive sets, but RCA reissued all the recordings he made for them]. The recordings are mostly excellent, but with some exceptions depending on his mood swings, which raised one's eyebrows in some cases, particularly in the music of Liszt (and a Japanese recording part of the newly RCA-reissued boxed set). Probably one of his most distinctive recordings was the Busoni Piano Concerto, Op. 39 with male chorus and Revenaugh leading the RPO [EMI 69850]. The Sorabji Opus Clavicebalisticum placed on four CDs [Altarus 9075] is a work I have attempted to listen to several times but simply cannot get through it at all, seemed to appealed to Ogdon, who, himself, was also a composer.

I found that it was next to impossible to put the book down after starting to read it. It is extremely well written and explains many of Ogdon's problems, which i found to be disturbing, that a man of such magnificent talent would have to endure for his whole, brief lifetime. It was certainly ot easy for Brenda Lucas Ogdon to live with the situation and is understandable why she had to take leave of him. He sorely missed her, which complicated his life even further.

In many ways, I found this book much more interesting and informative that the Lucas/kerr Virtuoso biography, perhaps because of much more in-depth explaining of his many situations.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED - Five Stars * * * * *
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

John F

Re: Pianist JOHN OGDON ... new book

Post by John F » Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:14 am

I don't know enough of pianists' biographies to name another who died impoverished, but it's happened to other major artists, such as the contralto Maureen Forrester. Forrester, like Rudolph Bing, was also demented in her last years. These stories make me feel sad, so I don't go out of my way to collect them.
John Francis

Ricordanza

Post by Ricordanza » Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:29 am

Lance wrote:I found that it was next to impossible to put the book down after starting to read it. It is extremely well written and explains many of Ogdon's problems, which i found to be disturbing, that a man of such magnificent talent would have to endure for his whole, brief lifetime. It was certainly ot easy for Brenda Lucas Ogdon to live with the situation and is understandable why she had to take leave of him. He sorely missed her, which complicated his life even further.

In many ways, I found this book much more interesting and informative that the Lucas/kerr Virtuoso biography, perhaps because of much more in-depth explaining of his many situations.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED - Five Stars * * * * *
Thanks for the recommendation, Lance. I also read the Brenda Lucas book and I share your fascination with (and, I'm sure, admiration for) Ogdon.

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:49 pm

Yes, I know, too, that this has happened many times with once great and internationally known and highly esteemed artists. It is a great pity. I read the story about Forrester, who ended up in some kind of respite home. She apparently made a lot of money during her career, but the monies would not have done much to assist her in getting well again with her kind of malady. José Iturbi's son-in-law, a violinist, could not make enough money to take care of his wife and, thus, divorced and moved back with her father only to commit suicide some years later leaving José with two granddaughters whom he loved greatly. I personally know several great artists who are pretty much living hand-to-mouth. There was also the brilliant Hungarian actor, Béla Lugosi, who lived very modestly at the conclusion of his life. Another pianist who immediately comes to mind was Ervin Nyiregyházi. Strange how life plays bad tricks on these people who have given so much to the world of arts. All the more reason, I think, to be most appreciative for what we DO have and enjoy.
John F wrote:I don't know enough of pianists' biographies to name another who died impoverished, but it's happened to other major artists, such as the contralto Maureen Forrester. Forrester, like Rudolph Bing, was also demented in her last years. These stories make me feel sad, so I don't go out of my way to collect them.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Guitarist

Post by Guitarist » Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:07 pm

I love this book. Ogdon's life was so sad--I guess he lived up to the aphorism, "The other side of genius is madness." I would think his life would make a great biopic.