Yes! Tafelmusik Sony recordings complete ..

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

slofstra

Yes! Tafelmusik Sony recordings complete ..

Post by slofstra » Mon May 04, 2015 12:59 pm

Best Mozart German Dances.
Best Brandenburgs.
Best Haydn's Creation.

And good to great recordings of Mozart's Requiem, various Haydn symphonies, Vivaldi's Four Seasons (Penguin rosette), Haydn Masses (Penguin rosette), and a great deal more.

Detailed listing of contents here -
http://www.tafelmusik.org/shop/recordin ... cd-box-set

Lance
Site Administrator

Re: Yes! Tafelmusik Sony recordings complete ..

Post by Lance » Wed May 06, 2015 12:15 am

Absolutely love Tafelmusik ... this is a set really worthy looking into. Reviews have been outstanding since their original releases.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

slofstra

Post by slofstra » Wed May 06, 2015 3:51 am

Mine should be here tomorrow, even though there's a fair bit of duplication to CD I already have, this doubles my Tafelmusik selection.
I remember paying $35 for the Tafelmusik Brandenburg set. Now for a bit more than that you get their entire Vivarte recorded output.

Mookalafalas

Post by Mookalafalas » Wed May 06, 2015 7:43 am

slofstra wrote:Mine should be here tomorrow, even though there's a fair bit of duplication to CD I already have, this doubles my Tafelmusik selection.
I remember paying $35 for the Tafelmusik Brandenburg set. Now for a bit more than that you get their entire Vivarte recorded output.
Tomorrow :shock:
I'm getting mine from Amazon.de--it's not being released there til the 15th, so I've got a couple of weeks yet before I'll have it in my hot hands :(
Call me Al (cuz its my name)

SONNET CLV

Post by SONNET CLV » Wed May 06, 2015 11:02 am

Ordered mine. Looks like a good deal.
I've been immersing myself in 21st century music (from some recent releases I acquired) in recent weeks, so it will be good to get back to "the roots", so to speak.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Wed May 06, 2015 2:14 pm

Wow! mdt.co.uk has it for 37 pounds: I'm not sure about the shipping to the U. S., which I bet would be expensive. The set won't be released here until June 15th, so that's when I'll get it. Thanks, Henry, for finding this! :D A must-have, for sure.

Mookalafalas

Post by Mookalafalas » Sun May 10, 2015 8:09 pm

A pleasant surprise, mine just came in--way ahead of schedule. $56US including shipping from Amazon.de Looks like a real gem--loaded with Lamon and Weil for those who like their baroque (etc.) sharp and lively. I'm still enjoying the sublime SEON set, so probably won't get too serious about listening to this for a while--although I probably won't be able to resist playing some of the Weil Haydn symphonies that I don't have yet. :D

slofstra

Post by slofstra » Sun May 10, 2015 10:16 pm

I've received my copy as well. Very nice presentation and booklet. Really the range of material and quality of performance achieved by Tafelmusik in perhaps a decade or so is quite prodigious. My brother has also bought this set, stating that he could leave this set out for his wife for casual listening and she'd enjoy anything in it.
This set would make a good introduction to the world of classical music given what it covers, the quality of the performance and the HIP approach.

Mookalafalas

Post by Mookalafalas » Thu May 14, 2015 9:51 am

I've been wallowing in this set for the last couple of days. It is wonderful. The playing is bright, light, virtuosic and full of charm. Depth? Maybe not as much as some bring to this repertoire (SEON, for example), but for me it has been a constant pleasure.

slofstra

Post by slofstra » Thu May 14, 2015 3:13 pm

Mookalafalas wrote:I've been wallowing in this set for the last couple of days. It is wonderful. The playing is bright, light, virtuosic and full of charm. Depth? Maybe not as much as some bring to this repertoire (SEON, for example), but for me it has been a constant pleasure.

The SEON set looks quite attractive also. It's more than double the price though ($170 versus $70). It's great value, and a larger set, but just a bit more out of reach for the buyer on a budget.

Mookalafalas

Post by Mookalafalas » Thu May 14, 2015 9:00 pm

slofstra wrote:
Mookalafalas wrote:I've been wallowing in this set for the last couple of days. It is wonderful. The playing is bright, light, virtuosic and full of charm. Depth? Maybe not as much as some bring to this repertoire (SEON, for example), but for me it has been a constant pleasure.

The SEON set looks quite attractive also. It's more than double the price though ($170 versus $70). It's great value, and a larger set, but just a bit more out of reach for the buyer on a budget.
Yes, the overall price is considerably higher than the Tafelmusik--but it is a huge set (85 discs), and the sleeves and packaging are much more robust. I expected the price to drop considerably after a few months, but it has been stubborn. I got mine for about $130, and I am pretty confident that will be its eventual price everywhere. Wolf Erichson is the recording supervisor for both, and the sound and repertoire are similar for both sets. However, Gustav Leonhardt, the Kuijkens, Anner Bylsma and other giants of HIP play in tons of the SEON discs...
Anyway, I don't mean to sound like a salesman :oops: . Both are excellent, and either should satisfy the needs of anyone who wants an instant high-quality baroque library.