First I Lombardi

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

lennygoran

First I Lombardi

Post by lennygoran » Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:03 pm

We were familiar with some of the music and thanks to the free trial Met On Demand which utilizes Roku we saw the 1994 production tonight in the comfort of our own house-a very good cast and an exciting production-okay it's far from Verdi's best opera! Regards, Len :)

Giselda.................Lauren Flanigan
Oronte..................Luciano Pavarotti
Arvino..................Bruno Beccaria
Pagano..................Samuel Ramey
Viclinda................Inma Egido
Sofia...................Jane Shaulis
Pirro...................Hao Jiang Tian
Acciano.................Jeffrey Wells
Prior...................Anthony Laciura

Violin solo.............Raymond Gniewek

Conductor...............James Levine

Production..............Mark Lamos
Set designer............John Conklin
Costume designer........Dunya Ramicova
Lighting designer.......Pat Collins

lennygoran

Re: First I Lombardi

Post by lennygoran » Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:24 am

lennygoran wrote:okay it's far from Verdi's best opera! Regards, Len :)
Len at least you saw it done properly-no ET and a wonderful cast-now it would be nice to see Jerusalem and see if with alot of the same music but a different plot it would work better? Darn it, we were thinking of going to Sarasota last year-we could have seen it! Regards, Len :lol:

"There are significant changes in the location and action of the French version of Lombardi, especially given the need to set the story for French involvement in the First Crusade of 1095–1099. Characters' names changed from Italian to French and one, Arvino (who was renamed as the Count of Toulouse, though elements of his character were given to the principal tenor role, Gastone) was now a baritone instead of a tenor. Several roles present in the original version were deleted, including the leading tenor role of Oronte. In the restructured libretto, the central romance is given more prominence, and a happier ending. In addition, Verdi added a standard ballet and new music, but re-shaped much of the structure by removing inappropriate material he felt to be weak. As musicologist Roger Parker notes, "only a few of the original numbers [remain] in their former positions."[5] Verdi himself described the new work as having "transformed out of recognition".[6]"

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:23 pm

Len: I sang the French version (Gerusalemme) in Carnegie Hall with La Selva during the 1980's. We had to use Xeroxed scores as the music was out of print.....great fun!

Here's a recorded version that's very good:

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:51 pm

maestrob wrote:Len: I sang the French version (Gerusalemme) in Carnegie Hall with La Selva during the 1980's.
Thanks, I'd like to see the opera-Sarasota did it last year and this year they're doing
The Battle of Legnano
Verdi’s
The Battle of Legnano
February 27–March 18, 2016

As the Milanese troops struggle to defend their city against the warrior Barbarossa, love for the same woman will test the friendship of two warriors. Left for dead at the battlefield, the young Arrigo has now re-joined the army with high hopes of honor and service to his country. Believing he was dead, Rolando took the hand of Arrigo’s beloved in marriage, and now Arrigo wishes for death in the forthcoming battle.

This is mighty tempting especially if we get another bad winter-I love the music from The Battle of Legnano-imagine a break from the winter and a chance to see a Verdi opera I've never seen!

Regards, Len

John F

Post by John F » Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:54 pm

maestrob wrote:Len: I sang the French version (Gerusalemme) in Carnegie Hall with La Selva during the 1980's.
I was in the audience for that. I didn't see you, but then, you didn't see me. :)

Between you and me, I think it's better than "I Lombardi." Verdi's revisions almost always are.
John Francis

josé echenique

Post by josé echenique » Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:31 pm

I first heard I Lombardi in a live Rome Opera tape with Scotto and Pavarotti conducted by Gavazzeni. In spite of the less admirable sound, it still is the finest Lombardi I have ever heard, Pavarotti was in glorious voice and Scotto outclasses big time Deutekom in the Philips recording.

THEHORN

Post by THEHORN » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:05 pm

The more recent La Scala DVD , also with Gavazzeni conducting (I can't remember the cast offhand ) is also excellent .