Checking NEW subscribers to CMG

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

Checking NEW subscribers to CMG

Post by Lance » Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:23 am

I have recently gone through 956 new possible subscribers to CMG. it is unfortunate that the overwhelming number of them, in checking their ISPs, are fake, or are those who want to sell a trip to Hawaii or elsewhere or some "spectacular" product they are offering. I have been keen to keep these out of CMG. While I would very much like to grow our member list, I don't want to regret it with fictitious subscribers. In some cases, because of technical problems, or people who have changed e-mail addresses, or cannot recall their sign-on or password information—even with my assistance in trying to repair such things—has not worked out well. This is merely to inform you what your CMG "keeper" is up to!
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

maestrob

Re: Checking NEW subscribers to CMG

Post by maestrob » Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:24 am

Lance wrote:
Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:23 am
I have recently gone through 956 new possible subscribers to CMG. it is unfortunate that the overwhelming number of them, in checking their ISPs, are fake, or are those who want to sell a trip to Hawaii or elsewhere or some "spectacular" product they are offering. I have been keen to keep these out of CMG. While I would very much like to grow our member list, I don't want to regret it with fictitious subscribers. In some cases, because of technical problems, or people who have changed e-mail addresses, or cannot recall their sign-on or password information—even with my assistance in trying to repair such things—has not worked out well. This is merely to inform you what your CMG "keeper" is up to!
Lance!

Thanks for keeping us up to date. I had no idea there were so many trolls lurking here! Please let us have as few or as many new friends as possible to help keep alive the music that we all love.

May you and all CMGers have a healthy, happy, and prosperous New Year! :D

RebLem
Location: Albuquerque, NM, USA 87112, 2 blocks west of the Breaking Bad carwash.

Post by RebLem » Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:32 pm

maestrob wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:24 am
Lance wrote:
Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:23 am
Lance!

Thanks for keeping us up to date. I had no idea there were so many trolls lurking here! Please let us have as few or as many new friends as possible to help keep alive the music that we all love.

May you and all CMGers have a healthy, happy, and prosperous New Year! :D
I, too, thank you for keeping us up to date. I'd like to know how many of them were legit. How many did you approve for membership?
Don't drink and drive. You might spill it.--J. Eugene Baker, aka my late father
"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."--Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S. Carolina.
"Racism is America's Original Sin."--Francis Cardinal George, former Roman Catholic Archbishop of Chicago.

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:11 am

I even hate to tell you this: about 1/2 of one percent! Amazing, eh?
RebLem wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:32 pm
I, too, thank you for keeping us up to date. I'd like to know how many of them were legit. How many did you approve for membership?
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

david johnson

Post by david johnson » Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:36 am

WOW! Thanks for your hard work.

John F

Post by John F » Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:24 am

Thanks for the info, Lance. But I have to say, neither Bill Pearce nor Dan Richards changed their email addresses after registering with CMG. It must have been something else that kept you from validating their membership even when I'd emailed you with a heads-up about each of them and then followed up - maybe some kind of flaw in the forum software's registration database. Dan has given up on CMG after registering here twice with no result, and is posting in other forums such as Forumania.com which let him right in. I haven't heard from Bill for a while.

Of course it's up to you who to let in or keep out, but if Bill and Dan aren't the only eligible would-be members who slipped through a crack in the system - and I don't think they can be - then that would be one explanation why the number of posts has been low enough for you to comment on it.
John Francis