Looking back to your 2018 CD purchases

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

Looking back to your 2018 CD purchases

Post by Lance » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:25 am

Well, by now, we've had time to think about the best purchases we acquired in year 2018. For me, I always think I will cut back, but there is too much of interest in music to simply cut back given the plethora of mega-sets that are still coming through. So, this thread is to pick your brains and tell each other what were the most interesting CDs you can recall from 2018.

For yours truly:
*More of the big Bernstein Editions - Sony - guess I've got 'em all by now
*The George Szell Edition - Sony
*Leonard Rose, cello Edition - Sony
*Claudio Arrau, piano Edition - Decca
*Alicia de Larrocha, piano Edition - Decca
*Henryk Szeryng, violin Edition - Decca
*Gregor Piatigorsky, cello Edition - Sony
* Carl & Franz Doppler series (flutes) - Capriccio
*Any recordings by Mark Viner or Goran Filipec, pianists
*Furtwangler Concerts in Vienna - Orfeo
*Anita Rachvelishvili, mezzo-soprano - Sony
*Ruggiero Ricci, violinist collections - Decca & Membran
*Leopold Stokowski - Phase 4 Collection - Decca

There are, of course, many more single items, but all those listed I am especially delighted to have at my fingertips, though some may be at my toes. Space is becoming a premium!
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

david johnson

Re: Looking back to your 2018 CD purchases

Post by david johnson » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:55 am

Lance, how did that Stokowski Phase 4 product turn out? I only bought a few digital music items this year - voxmegabox Renaissance Choral Music, Handel oratorios, and complete Haydn String Quartets.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:12 am

I think my most significant CD purchase of 2018 was the excellent box dedicated to George Szell, hands down. I haven't broken into the box yet, but I will do so soon with great expectations. The Henryk Szeryng box is due to be opened any day, just as soon as I finish the Heifetz megabox's third traversal. Finally, I did get the Alicia De Larrocha complete Decca recordings, and stand in awe of her expressivity and mastery of all sorts of repertoire, from Bach to Schumann and Khachaturian. She was a great artist, and not only in her native Spanish repertoire, but in every bit of music her brain chose to explore.

I also had shipped to me from Europe the Bernstein box of vocal works, which completes my collection of Columbia recordings from that great Icon of American music.

Smaller boxes include (but are not limited to) Annie Fischer, Witold Malcuzynski, Nikita Magaloff, thanks to Lance, who really encouraged me to get the set, (awesome Chopin, with great piano tone!), Solomon on EMI/Warner, and Martha Argerich on three labels, and the complete symphonies of Malcolm Arnold.

I buy 2 new singles/month, which are too numerous to write about here, but the great ones include Fagioli's disc of Handel arias, Anita Rachvelishvili's stunning debut disc, Christian Tetzlaff's Bartok Concerti, Vikingur Olafsson's Bach recital (Thanks, Rach3!), Daniel Barenboim's DVD releases of Bruckner's mature symphonies (using the mature realization of IV), recorded live with the Staatskapelle Berlin.

That said, I have a whole row of unopened CDs to cope with during the coming year! It's mind-boggling to realize that in these days of high-falutin' technology, the number of great recordings issued remains so overwhelming: an embarrassment of riches!

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:22 pm

Physical cd's :
Keith Jarrett playing Piano Concerto of Lou Harrison, New World cd
Bruce Hungerford,LvB's Opa.109-111,Vanguard
"Russian Visionaries " collection on Arbiter Records
Mozart PC's 13-15 for piano and string quartet,EMI cd
Mozart PC's 12,13 full orchestra,Ashkenzy playing/conducting,Decca
Emanuel Arciuli playing solo piano works by several Native Americans , "Walk in Beauty",Innova cd
Grieg Cello Sonata,Piano Sonata,Naxos cd
CPE Bach keyboard sonatas, pianist Danny Driver on Hyperion
"Reflections on 9/11 " played by the composer, pianist Karen Walwyn,Albany cd
Walton Symphony # 2 and Viola Concerto,Naxos
Busoni Violin Concerto, Szigeti,Masterworks cd
Horszowski's Vatican piano recitals,Arbiter cd set

Downloads:
Rautavaara PC # 1 and Cello Concerto
Ustvolskaya's Grand Duet for Cello and Piano
Arthur Bliss' Cello Concerto
Henri Dutilleux's Cello Concerto

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:51 pm

Lance wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:25 am
this thread is to pick your brains and tell each other what were the most interesting CDs you can recall from 2018.
As a avid fan of student orchestras, esp. those from the Midwest, I choose the world-premiere commercial recording of the David Diamond 6th:

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:24 pm

Love having the Stokowski Phase 4 series. Some of the items were previously released on Decca, and I believe there is one RCA Victor CD within that Phase 4 box set. Let's just say I would not want to be without it, to have ALL his Phase 4s in such a great presentation. Stokie still looms large among collectors.
david johnson wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:55 am
Lance, how did that Stokowski Phase 4 product turn out? I only bought a few digital music items this year - voxmegabox Renaissance Choral Music, Handel oratorios, and complete Haydn String Quartets.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:43 am

Lance wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:24 pm
Love having the Stokowski Phase 4 series. Some of the items were previously released on Decca, and I believe there is one RCA Victor CD within that Phase 4 box set. Let's just say I would not want to be without it, to have ALL his Phase 4s in such a great presentation. Stokie still looms large among collectors.
david johnson wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:55 am
Since you asked.... :wink:

I have the previous incarnation of Stokowski's Phase 4 Decca/London recordings, and am glad to hear that they've been released again. The sound quality is superb, since the original master tapes were used. I was disappointed in only one thing, that the producers could not get their hands on the original masters for Stokowski's orchestration of Moussorgsky's Pictures, released separately on CD in somewhat constricted sound from a running master used for the LP release.

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:15 pm

Brian, you may be talking about Decca 443 898, which I think was first incarnation of the Phase 4 of Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition in the Stokowski makeover, yes? I have not yet made an A/B comparison with the actual 23-CD set of all the Phase 4s [483 2504] of which Pictures is included. Could be, by the time the big box was issued of all Stokie's Phase 4 discs they have have found the original master. I see Amazon/Prime has this box set now for $59. I paid about $25 more for it through MDT when issued. Funny how some prices go down subtantially and others hit the ceiling. Perhaps the set didn't sell as well as it might have thus the reduction in price.
maestrob wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:43 am
Since you asked.... 😉
I have the previous incarnation of Stokowski's Phase 4 Decca/London recordings, and am glad to hear that they've been released again. The sound quality is superb, since the original master tapes were used. I was disappointed in only one thing, that the producers could not get their hands on the original masters for Stokowski's orchestration of Moussorgsky's Pictures, released separately on CD in somewhat constricted sound from a running master used for the LP release.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief