Boris Berezovsky

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

maestrob

Boris Berezovsky

Post by maestrob » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:32 pm

In 2005, Boris Berezovsky recorded a live recital for Warner Classics of Chopin Etudes, coupled with Godowsky's fiendishly difficult transcriptions of Chopin's works. The disc won awards, and I just pulled it from my wall to re-listen to what I remembered was some fantastic playing. In researching Berezovsky, I've discovered that he's been having a phenomenal career in Europe since then, and a 10-disc box has been issued with his recordings for both Teldec and Warner (pictured above). Why I've not been paying attention to this phenomenally gifted artist is beyond me, but I'll be ordering this box from amazon (It's available for around $20.00.).

Has anyone heard Berezovsky in concert, either live or otherwise, and what did you think of him?

Rach3

Re: Boris Berezovsky

Post by Rach3 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:39 pm

I've heard some live broadcasts , have no recordings. Bit uneven for me.Some wags think he sometimes does not practice enough. There are some live Paris Louvre recitals on YT, including a Rach Sonata # 1,I thought were great. He apparently has a foundation that does good work.He also did some critically approved 2-piano works ,recordings(?) with the late Brigette Engerer.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:00 am

Rach3 wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:39 pm
I've heard some live broadcasts , have no recordings. Bit uneven for me.Some wags think he sometimes does not practice enough. There are some live Paris Louvre recitals on YT, including a Rach Sonata # 1,I thought were great. He apparently has a foundation that does good work.He also did some critically approved 2-piano works ,recordings(?) with the late Brigette Engerer.
Thanks, Rach3. I'll keep you posted on what I think of this box. As for amazon's reviewers, they all 6 gave the set five stars, except for one sourpuss who didn't get the Ravel disc he wanted in the set.

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:05 am

Lots of Berezovsky in my collection … I mean LOTS! Much Teldec, Mirare, Melodiya, Warner, Erato, Koch, MK, and EMI. Not only a fine soloist, but concerto performer and chamber music pianist. Rarely disappointing … typical outstanding playing among the best-known Russian pianists. I find once you hear him, you want more! His Liszt (Transcendental Etudes), any Rachmaninoff, Chopin/Godowsky makes for a great listening experience.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:49 am

Lance wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:05 am
Lots of Berezovsky in my collection … I mean LOTS! Much Teldec, Mirare, Melodiya, Warner, Erato, Koch, MK, and EMI. Not only a fine soloist, but concerto performer and chamber music pianist. Rarely disappointing … typical outstanding playing among the best-known Russian pianists. I find once you hear him, you want more! His Liszt (Transcendental Etudes), any Rachmaninoff, Chopin/Godowsky makes for a great listening experience.
Thanks, Lance! That was the impression I got when reading his reviewers online. It's good to have your confirmation. The Chopin/Godowski live disc I have piqued my interest when I bought it years ago, and when replaying it I had the same enthusiastic response. Can't wait to hear the box. Why I haven't followed up on him in the intervening years is a mystery to me! :? :D

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:59 pm

Well, for one thing, we have a plethora of newer pianists on the scene, though Berezowsky has been around for awhile. While I know it's tough (and pricey) to try to keep up with it all, one has to pick and choose selectively. We still have Hamelin, Hough (both heavy recording artists) not to mention illustrious pianists such as Mark Viner, Wang, Le Sage, Tanski, Hobson, Bronfman, Lisitsa, Filipec, Tharaud, Katsaris and on and on I could go. But we cannot collect everything. Somewhere the line has to be drawn. But I am positive you will enjoy the work of Boris Berezowsky.
maestrob wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:49 am
Thanks, Lance! That was the impression I got when reading his reviewers online. It's good to have your confirmation. The Chopin/Godowski live disc I have piqued my interest when I bought it years ago, and when replaying it I had the same enthusiastic response. Can't wait to hear the box. Why I haven't followed up on him in the intervening years is a mystery to me! :? :D
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

John F

Post by John F » Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:42 pm

Not to mention the plethora of older pianists whom you may know well, but many don't. As you say, the line has to be drawn somewhere; I think I drew it at about 1970. :)
John Francis

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:18 am

John F wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:42 pm
Not to mention the plethora of older pianists whom you may know well, but many don't. As you say, the line has to be drawn somewhere; I think I drew it at about 1970. :)
:lol:

True, but a 10CD set for $20 is a compelling argument for a purchase and a place on my new shelves, especially considering the recommendations here and the 6 five-star reviews on amazon. I don't buy much nowadays, but what I buy is of very high quality and well worth my listening time.