Met Opera Yamaha Piano Sale

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

lennygoran

Met Opera Yamaha Piano Sale

Post by lennygoran » Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:11 pm

Got a letter from the Met Opera-first time in 80 years pianos used by their musicians will be available for purchase.

Public sale Sunday Sept 15th noon to 5PM at the Met. You can call for an earlier appointment for Sept 12-14th that assures you access to the best selection and pricing--646522 6877

Regards, Len

barney

Re: Met Opera Yamaha Piano Sale

Post by barney » Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:45 pm

Just pick me up a couple, Len, would you? Mail them to Melbourne, there's a good chap. :D

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:28 am

barney wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:45 pm
Just pick me up a couple, Len, would you? Mail them to Melbourne, there's a good chap. :D
Barney sure thing-when you send me your credit card number make sure its a private message and not one the whole forum sees! Regards, Len :lol:

John F

Post by John F » Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:22 am

I expect the pianos they're selling must be pretty beat up from all-day every day use year after year, far more than the house piano in a concert hall. How well Yamaha pianos stand up under tsuch heavy use, I've no idea, but perhaps Lance can tell us.
John Francis

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:42 pm

I think Knabe was endorsed by the Met, but they also the Baldwin was the official piano of the Met for a long time; with their demise, Yamaha was the provider. No doubt there were no more Knabes around the Met, but surely some Baldwins, especially the vertical ones for artists to use. The Baldwins (heavily used in public schools) held up exceedingly well. Yamahas, with at least some occasional care, are excellent holder-uppers. Seems to me the Met did have a staff of regular piano tuner-technicians. I would be curious to see a list of what is available. Is that published anywhere? Nonetheless, I would imagine some of them are pretty beat up, especially the oldest ones.

See these links: https://www.falcettipianos.com/used_pia ... ha_c7.html
-and-
http://knabepianos.com/history.php
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]