Cable channels: Music Choice

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

John F

Cable channels: Music Choice

Post by John F » Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:25 am

My cable TV service (Spectrum), and I believe many others, has a bunch of channels devoted to various kinds of music, played without commercials and identified on the screen. The two classical channels are Classical Masterpieces, longer works played complete, and Light Classical, short pieces or individual movements.

Mostly I 've paid no attention to the performer credits, but when they played Brahms's double concerto with Bruno Walter cnducting, I was curious which of his recordings they used - monaural with Isaac Stern, stereo with Zino Francescatti. No violinist was credited but I was surprised to see Maria Kliegel credited as the cellist. There is no such recording listed on Amazon; Kliegel has recorded the Brahms for Naxos but with Andrew Constantine conducting.

Far from being the only questionable identification on Music Choice, this turns out to be typical. A Dvorak Slavonic Dance, for example, is credited to George Szell and the Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra. I know Szell's way with this music and it does sound like him, but there appears to be no recording of him conducting the Munich orchestra, which has recorded some of the Slavonic Dances but with Rafael Kubelik conductng. I've seen many other misidentifications on both of the Music Choice classical channels.

Unless their database is fouled up to an unlikely degree, it appears that Music Choice is deliberately providing false identification of the performers of what they play. Why would they do that? One reason, I think the most likely, is to avoid paying a royalty to the record company that actually made the recording, in these cases Columbia/CBS/Sony Classical.

Whatever, if you hear a recording on Music Choice that you'd like to have, be warned not to trust their performer credits. Perhaps they name the real conductor and fake the name of the orchestra or soloist, perhaps it's some other permutation.
John Francis

maestrob

Re: Cable channels: Music Choice

Post by maestrob » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:43 am

Music Choice is indeed sloppy on occasion, I've noticed too. Don't listen to them much: the quality of what they broadcast is uneven, so I prefer to listen to CDs that I can choose.

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:17 pm

Fww, it appears Medici TV has ended even limited-time free VOD's post-concerts, and no more free lives.Unless my connection is malfunctioning.

Ricordanza

Post by Ricordanza » Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:41 am

I also get these channels on my service (Verizon FIOS) and I've noticed some strange identifications. Sometimes, two different pianists are credited with one solo performance. My guess is that the first line identifies the piece (usually correct), the second line identifies the performer (usually correct if it's a solo performance), and the third line identifies the album (that's where there's trouble, especially if it's a compilation).