Badura-Skoda: Schubert Trios on Gramola

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

Badura-Skoda: Schubert Trios on Gramola

Post by Lance » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:55 pm

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/81G ... 8_ML3_.jpg

Since the passing of pianist Paul Badura-Skoda, aged 91, I'm sure a few more recordings of performances will emerge. Such is the case with the two Schubert two Piano Trios, Opp. 99 and 100 (D898 and D929), both are masterpieces from Schubert. Badura-Skoda previously recorded both works for Westminster and they appear on the Badura-Skoda Edition reissued by Deutsche Grammophon [479 8065, 20 CDs, mono, released October 2017] with violinist Jean Fournier and cellist Antonio Janigro. Now, on the Gramola label [99176, 76:36, Stereo, ADD] we have two more performances. But this time, they are in stereo with violinist Wolfgang Schneiderhan, and cellist Boris Pergamenschikov. The Op. 99 was recorded in Vienna in 1984 and the Op. 100 recorded in 1981 in Salzburg, both LIVE performances.

This is a recording you may want to consider inasmuch as violinist Wolfgang Schneiderhan appears, and it looks like these may be the only recordings he ever made of these works. Gramola has already issued a number of discs of Badura-Skoda that are also worth seeking. •
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

maestrob

Re: Badura-Skoda: Schubert Trios on Gramola

Post by maestrob » Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:27 am

Thanks for the alert, Lance. I have just opened the DGG box and will search out the Schubert trios. I must say, Badura-Skoda's Schubert Sonatas rival those of Kempff and Brendel:

Lance
Site Administrator

Re: Badura-Skoda: Schubert Trios on Gramola

Post by Lance » Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:32 am

Being a Viennese, I'm sure the blood of Schubert runs in his veins. The next one you may want to check out is his complete Beethoven piano sonatas. He did both on a modern-day piano and another set using historical performances. Another you may want to get is the five-CD set on Eurodisc of the complete Mozart piano sonatas (on a modern-day piano). The guy was incredible. I saw him in concert once long ago. Badura-Skoda has definitely left a mark on music, especially with his broad recorded legacy.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]