Pianist Stanislav Bunin live, 1987

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Rach3

Pianist Stanislav Bunin live, 1987

Post by Rach3 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:44 pm

Despite the poor YT sound, a remarkable recital from Munich :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1suVkY8lI4A

Nocturne in D flat major, Op. 27 No. 2 by Frédéric Chopin
Impromptu in A flat major, Op. 29 by Frédéric
Impromptu in G flat major No.3 by Frédéric Chopin
Mazurka, Op. 30 No. 2 by Frédéric Chopin
Mazurka in C major, Op. 56 No. 2 by Frédéric Chopin
Mazurka in F sharp minor, Op. 59 No. 3 by Frédéric Chopin
Mazurka in C sharp minor, Op. 63 No. 3 by Frédéric Chopin
Polonaise in A flat major, Op. 61 by Frédéric Chopin
Arabesque No. 1 in E major by Claude Debussy
Tarantelle Styrienne by Claude Debussy
Images Pour Piano by Claude Debussy
Promenade by Francis Poulenc
Perpetuum Mobile by Francis Poulenc
Impromptu No. 3 by Francis Poulenc
Nouvelette in C major by Francis Poulenc
Toccata by Francis Poulenc
Waltz No. 17 in E flat major, Op. posth. by Frédéric Chopin
Waltz in E major, Op. posth. by Frédéric Chopin

I could find no on-line mention of his activities since about 2007,nothing more current :

" Stanislav Stanislavovich Bunin (Russian: Станислав Станиславович Бунин; born 25 September 1966) is a Russian-born pianist.He was born in Moscow in 1966 into an established European musical family which included his grandfather Heinrich Neuhaus, his grandmother Zinaida (Boris Pasternak's wife), and his father, Stanislav Neuhaus.In 1985, after a series of prizes, he won first prize and the gold medal in the 11th International Frédéric Chopin Piano Competition in Warsaw. He spent much of the next decade in Japan, teaching for six years at Senzoku Gakuen Music College in the city of Kawasaki; his wife is Japanese. Having obtained German citizenship, in 2012 he was a resident in Japan.He recorded a few of Chopin's works for the soundtrack to the 2007 video game Eternal Sonata. "

Lance
Site Administrator

Re: Pianist Stanislav Bunin live, 1987

Post by Lance » Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:02 pm

Interesting to see Bunin's name show up here. I'll check out this diversified program from Munich. He has actually made a number of recordings, but nothing lately near as I can find. I offer these suggestions:

•EMI 69479 or (Japan) 3001 - JS Bach: English Suite #3; Italian Concerto; Chorale Prelude #639 (Ich ruf' zu dir); Siciliana (Flute Sonata #2); Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring
•EMI (Japan) 3004 - Beethoven: Pathetique, Waldstein, Moonlight, Appassionata sonatas
•EMI (Japan) 3008 - Chopin: Etudes, Opp. 10/12 (complete)
•DGG 463 063 - Chopin:: 4 Imipromptus
•DGG 482 9687 [4 CDs] - Complete DGG recordings, including much Chopin, Schumann, and an all-Debussy disc including live Chopin Concerto #1 1985, Warsaw
•Capriccio 10217 - Chopin: Piano Concerto #1 w/Strugala, conducting; 6 Preludes, Op. 28 (Live, Warsaw Competition 1967)
•Consonance 81.0002 - Feinberg: Piano Concerto iin C Minor
•Hanssler 94.051 - Liszt Recital
•Hanssler 98.103 - Liszt Recital
•Hanssler 98.367 - Chopin: Piano Sonata, Op. 35; Barcarolle, Berceuse, Polonaises, Waltzes
•Melodiya - Schumann: Allegro in B Minor, Toccata in C, Blümenstuck
•MK 418026 - Mozart: Piano Concerto #23; Chopin: Piano Concerto #1 (Live) w/Toyama
•MK 418027 - Mozart: Piano Sonata #11; Haydn Piano Sonata #23; Chopin: Piano Sonata #3 (all live, Japan, 1986)

And there is much more, Mozart, Beethoven Schubert, Bach on EMI and DGG. Wonderful pianist.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:44 pm

Stanislav Bunin plays Chopin’s Preludes, apparently a 1990 EMI-Japan studio recording. Bunin got my attention with the very first bars of the first Prelude, and held my attention, most , but not all, of the time thereafter. ( For example, very interesting Nos.22 -24, starting at 36:05 in , among others.) Recommended listening when you are next in the mood for these works. Decent sound for YT. I dont have the cd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cudRQ1-OJTQ

After a Thursday, Oct.31,snowstorm here ( 5-6 inches, 127-152 mm. ) and a morning low temp Saturday,Nov.2 of 19 F. ( - 7C. ) , a “ nice” day today, 50F. ( 10 C. ) at Noon , so 3 hours raking leaves today and final grass mowing of the yard, rewarded by Deschutes Brewery’s ( Bend,Oregon) “Obsidian" stout, 6.4 % abv , followed by Founder’s Brewing (Grand Rapids,Michigan) “ Dirty Bastard “ scotch ale, 8.5 %. The time for Summer apres-mow IPA’s has passed.

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:38 pm

EMI recorded Bunin quite a bit but many/most of those recordings are out of print or hard to locate though some are available from Japan at high prices. I wonder why Bunin didn't "take off" for the label as did other pianists. Bunin also recorded four albums for DGG that are still available in a set now.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:47 pm

In re-reading the notes to the 4-CD DGG set, I didn't realize that BUNIN was his mother's maiden name (as I recall) and his real name was Neuhaus, his grandfather being the famous Heinrich Neuhaus who was teach to many famous pianists, including Gilels, Richter, and Lupu. Heinrich Neuhaus is given credit for creating the "Russian Piano School" as we know it today. He obviously made the name change so it would not conflict with his father's name, also Stanislaw Neuhaus, nor competing with students his grandfather taught. Probably a good marketing decision.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:27 am

In examining the discography of Stanislaw Bunin, so far I am most impressed with his presentation/interpretations of the music of J. S. Bach. I have been somewhat slightly disappointed with his Chopin (of which there is much), which I often find disjointed and played, perhaps, too carefully, missing the true Romanticism of Chopin's music. It is generally known that Bunin studies 'every note' of a composition thoroughly to get the most out of it. Any one else notice this in some of his playing. Otherwise, and over all, he's a wonderful pianist. We just don't seem to be hearing from him much these days.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief