49 years ago today!

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Philip M

49 years ago today!

Post by Philip M » Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:28 am

On 7 December 1970 I attended my first Sviatoslav Richter concert, in the Royal Festival Hall. I remember it vividly.

The programme had originally been announced as all Beethoven: 6 Variation Op.34, Eroica Variations and Diabelli Variations.

A couple of weeks before the recital he changed it to

Schubert Sonata D958
Bartók 15 Hungarian Peasant Songs
Szymanowski 2 movements from Masques
Prokofiev Sonata No.7

As an encore we had Prokofiev’s Paysage, introduced (unusually) by Richter.

The recital, excluding the encore, was once released on BBC Legends - the BBC had broadcast it live.

Fortunately i heard Richter many times subsequently. What a genius.

Philip

barney

Re: 49 years ago today!

Post by barney » Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:43 pm

Well, I certainly envy you that. I don't think he ever came to Australia; if he did, certainly I did not hear him. It would have been astonishing to do so.

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:40 pm

Indeed, BBC Legends 4265 and I have it and all of his BBC Legends CDs. Interesting to know someone who was there in person! Couldn't concur with more: a genius. Speaking of BBC Legends recordings, apparently ICA and others have picked up where BBC left off. Any reasons for this that you are aware? By the way, we are delighted you are spending time on CMG and hope you continue!
Philip M wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:28 am
On 7 December 1970 I attended my first Sviatoslav Richter concert, in the Royal Festival Hall. I remember it vividly.

The programme had originally been announced as all Beethoven: 6 Variation Op.34, Eroica Variations and Diabelli Variations.

A couple of weeks before the recital he changed it to

Schubert Sonata D958
Bartók 15 Hungarian Peasant Songs
Szymanowski 2 movements from Masques
Prokofiev Sonata No.7

As an encore we had Prokofiev’s Paysage, introduced (unusually) by Richter.

The recital, excluding the encore, was once released on BBC Legends - the BBC had broadcast it live.

Fortunately i heard Richter many times subsequently. What a genius.

Philip
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Philip M

Post by Philip M » Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:32 am

Richter definitely never went to Australia, sorry.

As to the death of BBC Legends, I think the BBC are basically a huge broadcasting company and their CD production was a rounding error, hence got cut.

ICA was the brain child of John Pattrick, who had previously run BBC Legends. I met him and supplied him with some reels of live performances that he wanted to consider for release, but he disappeared and never returned them. Hmmmmm....

Pjilip

barney

Post by barney » Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:28 am

Oh dear. That is considerably more significant than the lost lent book or CD we have all experienced.

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:03 pm

I see Mr. Pattrick is available on Linkedin. Perhaps a reminder to him for want of your tapes?
Philip M wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:32 am
Richter definitely never went to Australia, sorry.

As to the death of BBC Legends, I think the BBC are basically a huge broadcasting company and their CD production was a rounding error, hence got cut.

ICA was the brain child of John Pattrick, who had previously run BBC Legends. I met him and supplied him with some reels of live performances that he wanted to consider for release, but he disappeared and never returned them. Hmmmmm....

Pjilip
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Belle

Post by Belle » Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:16 pm

barney wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:28 am
Oh dear. That is considerably more significant than the lost lent book or CD we have all experienced.
My sister once asked me if she could borrow a couple of my musical (MGM) CDs for her 'rock eisteddfod'. I flatly refused saying, "you didn't return the last things we lent you 20 years ago". Some people are so cavalier that they don't deserve to hold our precious things, even for a little while!! And they have no idea of its value to us!!

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:55 am

Belle wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:16 pm
barney wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:28 am
My sister once asked me if she could borrow a couple of my musical (MGM) CDs for her 'rock eisteddfod'. I flatly refused saying, "you didn't return the last things we lent you 20 years ago". Some people are so cavalier that they don't deserve to hold our precious things, even for a little while!! And they have no idea of its value to us!!
Yes, quite!

I don't EVER lend, period. If someone expresses an interest, my rejoinder is always, "Would you like that for a birthday/Christmas present?" If the answer is yes, then I make a note to buy another copy for the person involved! :)

barney

Post by barney » Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:51 pm

I'm very torn about this. I think I should lend because I want to share the music and books that are precious to me. For a long time I kept a list on my computer and after a few months would gently jog the recipient's memory. that helped,but I've still lost some treasures. A few years ago I was at my son's place, checked his shelf and found a few of my recordings there.
Brian's solution is a good one, but also typically generous and could cost quite a bit over time.

Belle

Post by Belle » Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:30 pm

My rule of thumb is that they must value the object at the same level as I do. I've lent CDs to two or three people my music group and got them back the next week!! Without fail.