How prices DO change!

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

How prices DO change!

Post by Lance » Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:16 pm

Those who collect the recordings of CLAUDIO ARRAU (I do) … will be interested to know, at least on Amazon/USA, prices have gone up more than substantially. For example, the Decca 80-CD set is now selling for $1000, and the Sony Classical 12-CD set is $300. More reason, if monetarily possible, to generally get these mega-sets when they are issued. While I generally have a preference for Arrau's early recordings on American Decca, RCA and Columbia, he is one pianist who we can hear from his earliest discs to the time of his passing.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

barney

Re: How prices DO change!

Post by barney » Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:49 am

Wow, Lance. Maybe time for me to sell? :)

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:30 am

barney wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:49 am
Wow, Lance. Maybe time for me to sell? :)
Hah! I'll bet you won't, Barney. I certainly won't. I'll let my heirs take the profit. I'm enjoying the many box sets I've acquired too much to let them go. I'm currently working through sets by Abbado, Brendel and Argerich, and will start on Heifetz soon for the third time. Frankly, I find it fascinating to hear the complete output of these great artists, warts & all, and to marvel at the consistently high quality of their output.

I just checked the Heifetz box on amazon, and it's selling now for $1400, with the stereo collection selling for $500. What a boon for collectors these sets are!

barney

Post by barney » Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:36 pm

You're right, Lance. It's like the stock market, and not realising a loss until you actually sell. We've made a handsome profit, but we'll never realise it because we'll never sell.

One question though - does anyone actually pay those prices, or are they just imaginary?

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:17 pm

Do people really pay these prices, you ask. Yes, on occasion they do. You have to REALLY want something bad along the way that you missed that you suddenly regret not getting. I would never pay those kinds of prices because, eventually, I will run into it somewhere at a more reasonable price.

I think the most I have ever paid for a mammoth CD set was while I was in Toronto, Ontario visiting friends. It was the first time I saw the original, huge grey-coloured boxed set with book, with all of Artur Rubinstein's recordings. First off, I am a huge fan of Rubinstein, from my earliest days. I eventually ended up getting all his LPs - some were very hard to come by. I told Rubinstein how much I paid for the LCT LP of his recording with Heifetz [Franck Violin Sonata] (at that time before CDs came along, $125 - and I gave up a lot of lunches to buy that one!) He pooh-poohed me for paying that much and said Heifetz wanted him to play like "a mouse." [That story is in one of Rubinstein's autographical books, too.] I developed a good friendship with a record dealer in Toronto and was given a special price for it. It is my understanding that only 1,000 sets of this edition were made (maybe less). I shan't tell you how much I paid for it, however. :( And no, I have never regretted having it. Another complete Rubinstein Edition came out later, and that, too, is now over the top price-wise of $1,000/US but is otherwise not available. I read somewhere that RCA only put out 200 copies of this second boxed edition but it, unfortunately, did not sell well so no more were made, at least that's the story. For the Rubinstein "fanatic" in me, I was lucky to be able to get both editions - both my joy, and both beautiful presentations and a wonderful tribute to one of the world's finest pianists. The second edition came through with original jackets. And for that reason, and a slightly expanded set music-wise, it was worth it to me. Enough said. And like you, I don't intend to sell anything. Only my survivors (daughter, especially) will ultimately reap any monetary rewards, and she does know about recordings.
barney wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:36 pm
You're right, Lance. It's like the stock market, and not realising a loss until you actually sell. We've made a handsome profit, but we'll never realise it because we'll never sell.

One question though - does anyone actually pay those prices, or are they just imaginary?
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

barney

Post by barney » Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:07 am

I have that second complete Rubinstein set, in red trimmed with white. I paid $A140 (these days only $US84) to get it from Amazon Germany, from memory. A wise investment, apparently in every way. :D

Holden Fourth

Post by Holden Fourth » Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:30 pm

barney wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:07 am
I have that second complete Rubinstein set, in red trimmed with white. I paid $A140 (these days only $US84) to get it from Amazon Germany, from memory. A wise investment, apparently in every way. :D
I paid the same price Barney and am very glad to have the set. I think it worked out to less than $1 per disc. The other prized set I got which is no longer available is the EMI 40 CD Cziffra collection. I shudder to think what it would cost if it was gettable.

barney

Post by barney » Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:00 pm

Holden Fourth wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:30 pm
barney wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:07 am
I paid the same price Barney and am very glad to have the set. I think it worked out to less than $1 per disc. The other prized set I got which is no longer available is the EMI 40 CD Cziffra collection. I shudder to think what it would cost if it was gettable.
I think I read somewhere that the Cziffra set especially has shot up in value. Also the 200-CD Philips Great Pianist series in two boxes, which I would probably grab first after my dogs in case of fire!

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:46 pm

The 40-CD set of Cziffra I got in 2008 from Amazon/France for $86/USD, which included postage charges. I have not located that set anywhere else. The 40-CD set of Cortot is around as is the Ciccolini set (the latter still very reasonably priced). I see the second Rubinstein collection is still available from Amazon-Germany for about $328/USD plus post. I rarely get anything from Amazon's German branch, nor the Canadian.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

Holden Fourth

Post by Holden Fourth » Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:47 am

Lance wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:46 pm
The 40-CD set of Cziffra I got in 2008 from Amazon/France for $86/USD, which included postage charges. I have not located that set anywhere else. The 40-CD set of Cortot is around as is the Ciccolini set (the latter still very reasonably priced). I see the second Rubinstein collection is still available from Amazon-Germany for about $328/USD plus post. I rarely get anything from Amazon's German branch, nor the Canadian.
I got mine for about $AUS90 about the same time as you Lance. Checking online there are a few used copies about with the cheapest being available on European Amazon sites for around 350 Euros. That's close to 10x what you and I paid.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:59 am

Sadly, I missed my chance on Cziffra, but I did pick up the Cortot for $55. It's now selling on amazon for $500! For 40 CDs of such high-quality music-making of historical importance, I'd say that's an acceptable price.

barney

Post by barney » Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:10 pm

maestrob wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:59 am
Sadly, I missed my chance on Cziffra, but I did pick up the Cortot for $55. It's now selling on amazon for $500! For 40 CDs of such high-quality music-making of historical importance, I'd say that's an acceptable price.
Yes, except like the rest of us you are never going to sell. So the price is utterly academic. :D

Holden Fourth

Post by Holden Fourth » Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:54 pm

One set that I dithered about and eventually didn’t get was the Horowitz Carnegie Hall Recitals box. I regret it now.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:22 am

Holden Fourth wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:54 pm
One set that I dithered about and eventually didn’t get was the Horowitz Carnegie Hall Recitals box. I regret it now.
Yes, that's a great one. I've played through mine several times already. There's a copy on amazon now for about $500.

That said, my own regret is that I never sprang for the Rubinstein box. By the time I had the means, it was sold out. I guess I just liked Horowitz and Richter more! :wink: