Keyboard works of Orlando Gibbons

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Rach3

Keyboard works of Orlando Gibbons

Post by Rach3 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:09 am

Listening to pianist Daniel-Ben Pienaar's Deux Elles label 2-cd set of mine of solo keyboard works of Orlando Gibbons (Glenn Gould's fav composer reportedly ) , quite soothing at this time :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3AH7CFd9q0&t=4961s

At the YT "Show More" you can click and scroll down to individual works.Might want to start with 19 and 20 if not familiar with these works.

Philip M

Re: Keyboard works of Orlando Gibbons

Post by Philip M » Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:58 am

Daniel-Ben is a super pianist. He came to the festival I help organise a few years ago. He’s a really nice guy too. One of his pupils was Benjamin Grosvenor.

Philip

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:55 pm

PhilipM wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:58 am
Daniel-Ben is a super pianist.
Agreed. He has recordings of all the Mozart piano sonatas, all the Beethoven piano sonatas, as well as the "Goldberg" and "Diabelli". He may have embarked on Schubert's piano sonatas as well (?).I have only the Gibbons.

Philip M

Post by Philip M » Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:00 am

Yes he was off to record the Schubert Sonatas after his Codsall recital. They have not been released yet.

He writes well too. His Schubert programme notes

http://danielbenpienaar.com/essays/Prog ... onatas.htm

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:47 am

Thanks, Rach3! That album has been available on amazon streaming for Prime members for some time now (as are the Mozart Sonatas), and has garnered six five-star reviews! I will listen to this soon. Philip, I'm impressed that he taught Grosvenor. Judging by the results, he's a fine teacher as well. :)

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:39 am

This is a wonderful 2CD set! I've listened to both discs by now. Frankly, I'm not a big fan of the harpsichord, so I'm not familiar with Gibbons's keyboard works, but what I've heard here is inventive, challenging and vastly entertaining. A new discovery for me, and a welcome one, aided and abetted by superb musicianship. I plan on ordering these discs for my collection soon. Many thanks, Rach3!

slofstra

Post by slofstra » Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:40 pm

I can't pass by the name 'Orlando Gibbons' without thinking of Glenn Gould, who claimed Gibbons was his favourite composer, or something outlandish like that.
I found an article about this here.
https://www.orlandogibbons.com/gould-on-gibbons/

The following quote represents Gould at his most laughingly ironic best, and he happens to be talking about Orlando Gibbons. Emphasis is mine.

"“…despite the requisite quota of scales and shakes in such half-hearted virtuoso vehicles as the Salisbury Galliard, one is never quite able to counter the impression of music of supreme beauty that lacks its ideal means of reproduction. Like Beethoven in his last quartets, or Webern at almost any time, Gibbons is an artist of such intractable commitment that, in the keyboard field, at least, his works work better in one’s memory, or on paper, than they ever can through the intercession of a sounding-board.”

I understand exactly what the words mean, but what does he actually mean? In my own opinion, Gould liked Gibbons and here he is just putting one over on whoever he's talking to at this time. He really liked to do that.

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:35 pm

slofstra wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:40 pm
I understand exactly what the words mean, but what does he actually mean? In my own opinion, Gould liked Gibbons and here he is just putting one over on whoever he's talking to at this time. He really liked to do that.
I bought the set because (a) I knew of Daniel-Ben Pienaar and, (b) had heard 1 or 2 Gibbons' earlier.
I was aware of Gould's liking for the composer, but the music won me immediately, regardless.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:44 am

An intriguing comment by Gould. I guess he means that Gibbons's music works best in the abstract, on paper. That's certainly true for Webern, IMHO. That may be true for Gould, but I find that the piano, when played well as it is here, serves the music extremely well, even though Gibbons obviously conceived his works for the harpsichord. Of course, we'll never know what he would think of the expanded expressiveness of the pianoforte in his works. There are many who would say that Gibbons should only be played on the harpsichord, but I'm not one of them.