Pianist Cyprien Katsaris live

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Rach3

Pianist Cyprien Katsaris live

Post by Rach3 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:51 am

Must see TV video for pianophiles.YT sound, but ticket price is good.

Recorded at the Vila-seca Music Festival, Auditori Josep Carreras (Spain) on 11 July 2015.Unfortunately, I am not fluent in Spanish,thus could not hear his several comments during the recital. But the playing !

Programme ( no Intermission ) :
- C. Katsaris: Spontaneous Improvisation on various themes
- F. Liszt: Funeral Prelude and Funeral March • Csárdás obstiné (Arr.: C. Katsaris) • Aria of Don Sanche from the opera “Don Sanche or the Castle of Love” (Arr.: C. Katsaris) • Piano Concerto No. 2 in A major, S. 125 (Arr.: C. Katsaris)
- W. A. Mozart: Piano Sonata No. 11 in A major, K. 331
- F. Chopin: Ballade No. 2 in F major, Op. 38
- R. Wagner: Lohengrin’s Rebuke to Elsa (Arr.: F. Liszt) • The Ride of the Valkyries (Arr.: L. Brassin / C. Katsaris)

Encore:
- A. Marcello: Adagio from Oboe Concerto in D minor, Op. 1 (Arr.: J. S. Bach / C. Katsaris) • A. Carrasco: Adiós

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yo2YYO ... e=youtu.be

Philip M

Re: Pianist Cyprien Katsaris live

Post by Philip M » Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:12 pm

Cyprien is a charming man as well as a superb pianist. He came to the UK festival I helped organise the previous year, 2014. Only his 2nd UK recital in over 20 years. He was totally delightful.

He was a late replacement for Konstantin Lifschitz (who had programmed the 3 Op.2 sonatas of Beethoven plus a new piece by Nimrod Borenstein). Sadly Konstantin - who lives in Switzerland - could not get the required work permit, even though he had some top politicians working with him for it.

Cyprien flew back from Tokyo overnight on the Saturday to his home in Paris. He was due to fly to the UK in the Monday but the French were on strike (no comment!). He ended up flying to Birmingham lunchtime on the Tuesday, the day of the concert. He went to his hotel by the airport and I collected him there at 5.00. We got to the hall at 5.40. He tried out the piano for 20’ then did an onstage interview at 6.15 before the recital at 7.30.

In the car to the concert I told Cyprien how I had heard him live only once before, in New Jersey in 1994. He immediately said “Ah yes the Mozart Concerto 14”. What a memory!

Incidentally our festival commissioned a lovely new piece from Nimrod Borenstein for Ex Cathedra to perform at our 40th anniversary festival in 2018.

Philip

Philip M

Post by Philip M » Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:14 pm

Here’s the review of his concert with us

https://www.business-live.co.uk/retail- ... ty-6849646

Philip M

Post by Philip M » Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:18 pm

And here’s the review of Nimrod Borenstein’s specially commissioned work.

https://www.midlandsmusicreviews.com/20 ... -arts.html

You may recognise Richard Bratby’s name - he is a regular reviewer of The Gramophone and The Spectator.

Philip

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:56 am

Thanks for the review.I have his cd of solo piano music of Sergei Bortkiewicz I can recommend.

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:59 pm

Philip, what an interesting post and review. I must say, you do get around. I am a Katsaris fanatic with 87 of his CDs (thus far with a few more coming!), with some duplication among labels. This is an amazing pianist. How fortunate you were able to obtain him and hear is art alive.
Philip M wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:12 pm

Cyprien is a charming man as well as a superb pianist. He came to the UK festival I helped organise the previous year, 2014. Only his 2nd UK recital in over 20 years. He was totally delightful.

He was a late replacement for Konstantin Lifschitz (who had programmed the 3 Op.2 sonatas of Beethoven plus a new piece by Nimrod Borenstein). Sadly Konstantin - who lives in Switzerland - could not get the required work permit, even though he had some top politicians working with him for it.

Cyprien flew back from Tokyo overnight on the Saturday to his home in Paris. He was due to fly to the UK in the Monday but the French were on strike (no comment!). He ended up flying to Birmingham lunchtime on the Tuesday, the day of the concert. He went to his hotel by the airport and I collected him there at 5.00. We got to the hall at 5.40. He tried out the piano for 20’ then did an onstage interview at 6.15 before the recital at 7.30.

In the car to the concert I told Cyprien how I had heard him live only once before, in New Jersey in 1994. He immediately said “Ah yes the Mozart Concerto 14”. What a memory!

Incidentally our festival commissioned a lovely new piece from Nimrod Borenstein for Ex Cathedra to perform at our 40th anniversary festival in 2018.

Philip
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:45 am

Philip--

What an interesting post, thank you!

When I was at Juilliard, I acquired his set of the Liszt transcriptions of the Beethoven symphonies and studied them. Magnificent playing, and they've never been out of print since they were issued. IIRC, Katsaris got his start with appearances with Ormandy in Philadelphia, recording Liszt.

Lance--

I never cease to be amazed at the depth of your collection. 87CDs by Katsaris! :D