Pianist Garrick Ohlsson live

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Rach3

Pianist Garrick Ohlsson live

Post by Rach3 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:28 am

https://www.wqxr.org/#!/ NYC In Concert

Garrick Ohlsson, piano, livestreaming in NYC in late March.Had not heard his playing in quite some time, recorded or live. Enjoyed the Beethoven, the Chopin not as much.

BEETHOVEN: Sonata in B-flat Major, Op. 22 ( one of my fav LvB sonatas )
CHOPIN: Impromptu
CHOPIN: Selected Etudes, Op. 25 (The Berceuse listed was not played )
CHOPIN: Scherzo No. 3

I did not hear this performance on same broadcast:

Vienna Piano Trio
- David McCarroll, violin
- Clemens Hagen, cello
- Stefan Mendl, piano

BEETHOVEN: Piano Trio in B-flat Major, Op. 97 "Archduke"

barney

Re: Pianist Garrick Ohlsson live

Post by barney » Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:08 pm

He played the same program in Melbourne earlier this year. He attacked the Chopin with such gusto that I wondered whether he thought he was playing Liszt. Cascading torrents of sound. The audience loved it. I enjoyed it but, like you, the Beethoven more. He's a marvellous pianist.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:29 am

barney wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:08 pm
He played the same program in Melbourne earlier this year. He attacked the Chopin with such gusto that I wondered whether he thought he was playing Liszt. Cascading torrents of sound. The audience loved it. I enjoyed it but, like you, the Beethoven more. He's a marvellous pianist.
Agreed, and I liked his approach to Chopin on records. Ohlsson has recorded quite a lot (Beethoven, Chopin, Scriabin), but I've never heard him live. He's not as well-known in the USA as, say, Perahia or Argerich or Brendel, but his playing, at least on disc, is certainly first-rate.

Thanks for the concert, Rach3.

barney

Post by barney » Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:01 pm

I've seen him twice. The second time, on February 25, was the last concert I got to before shutdowns. I've so far missed 11 concerts that have been cancelled, with far more to come. :(

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:52 pm

Indeed, Ohlsson is a wonderful pianist. He is another artist I've had the pleasure of meeting and preparing his piano for a concerted work. At that time, he brought his own Bösendorfer Imperial concert grand. It was like a huge black tank on the stage … but a lovely instrument to work on in every detail, and a delight to hear from the audience. When he recorded the complete Chopin works for Arabesque Records, it was our founder, Ward Botsford, who produced that best to my knowledge, in NYC in 1998. It later appeared on Hyperion and Helios and I believe is now long unavailable.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:32 am

Lance, I didn't know about the complete Arabesque set, but the box pictured below was issued on the Hyperion label in 2008, with the orchestral works recorded in Warsaw. Many of the Arabesque recordings are still available as single discs, some at vastly inflated prices on amazon.