New York Philharmonic Cancels Fall Season

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:57 am

The lost performances will cost the orchestra approximately $9 million in ticket revenue.

By Zachary Woolfe

June 10, 2020, 11:00 a.m. ET

With the number of coronavirus cases down sharply in New York, the city began a gradual reopening this week. But in yet another sign that the full resumption of cultural life is still far off, the New York Philharmonic announced on Wednesday that it was canceling its fall season.

“We’re in a marathon,” Deborah Borda, the orchestra’s chief executive, said in an interview, adding: “It is possible we could lose this entire upcoming season. But we will do our best to find some way of doing some kind of performances. There must be live music for people.”

The decision not to resume performances before Jan. 6, 2021, at the earliest came the week after the Metropolitan Opera said it would not reopen before the end of December. Like the Philharmonic, the Met has been closed since March, and has furloughed its orchestra, chorus and stagehands and some administrative staff, while continuing to provide them with health benefits.

But symphonies are smaller operations than grand opera companies, and the Philharmonic has been able to continue to pay its musicians. As they have since May, they will earn about $2,200 per week — 75 percent of the orchestra’s base pay — through Sept. 21, when their current contract expires. The musicians and management plan to meet through the summer to negotiate a new contract.

The orchestra’s administrative staff, which over the past months has had pay cuts but not the widespread furloughs or layoffs of some other arts institutions, may well now be a target of cuts.

“Now that we’ve announced the cancellation,” Ms. Borda said, “we can’t sustain in our current format with the staff.” She anticipates announcing by the end of June a plan for the organization to survive the closure in what she called a “pulled-back format,” though she said she hoped to produce some form of socially distanced events for small audiences. (Even smaller-scale performance, though, will be challenging: Also on Wednesday, the Chamber Music Society of Lincoln Center announced the cancellation of its own fall season.)

The cancellation of the Philharmonic’s fall means the loss of approximately $9 million in ticket revenue. That is in addition to a net loss of $7 million to $10 million associated with the cancellation of concerts starting in March. Ms. Borda said that the Philharmonic, unlike some other arts organizations, did not plan to increase its draw from its endowment, which at $194 million (as of the end of May) is considered small relative to its $87 million budget.

One beneficiary of the grim news could be the Philharmonic and Lincoln Center’s long-delayed effort to renovate David Geffen Hall, the orchestra’s home. The project is expected to cost $550 million, of which nearly $200 million remains to be raised, and construction is scheduled to begin in May 2022 — but Ms. Borda said that the orchestra was exploring whether it could use its unexpected absence this fall to start construction early.

“We’re looking to see if we can accelerate some of the work right away,” she said, “to move us ahead in our plans.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/10/arts ... virus.html

slofstra

Re: New York Philharmonic Cancels Fall Season

Post by slofstra » Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:17 pm

Yikes.

I think people were hoping that we'd be in good shape by Fall, but it's not going to be the case. I've already paid for my 2020/21 season here in Kitchener-Waterloo, Ontario.
It is what it is.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:01 am

Not unexpected, I guess. In spite of NYC's partial re-opening, crowds are still dangerous to our health, and will be until a vaccine is distributed and proven effective. We still wear masks in public, although I noticed yesterday that some young people are foolishly not wearing them now.

It's not over 'till it's over.

Ricordanza

Post by Ricordanza » Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:42 am

slofstra wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:17 pm
I've already paid for my 2020/21 season here in Kitchener-Waterloo, Ontario.
And as I've already reported in another thread, I've paid for my 2020/21 Philadelphia Orchestra season. Two of the six concerts take place in 2020 (November and December). The renewal for the Philadelphia Chamber Music Society is sitting on my desk.

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:43 am

Ricordanza wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:42 am
And as I've already reported in another thread, I've paid for my 2020/21 Philadelphia Orchestra season. Two of the six concerts take place in 2020 (November and December). The renewal for the Philadelphia Chamber Music Society is sitting on my desk.
Perhaps if there are cancellations without refunds of the money you actually paid, you can get a tax deduction as a charitable donation for the year in which the cancellation is announced if the organizations are 501(c)(3) organizations ? I believe in 2020 and 2021 there may be a new,limited " above the line " charitable deduct available even of you dont itemize deductions on Federal Schedule A.State tax law may give deduct, too. Maybe you have a CPA friend ?

slofstra

Post by slofstra » Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:15 pm

I took the 'charitable donation' option for the tail of the last season. However, I'm not sure I want to do that for the entire new season. OTOH, I don't want to lose the orchestra either.

In other news, my barber or hair stylist called today, and it's nice some things are coming back on line.
And Premier League soccer begins next Wednesday without crowds.
I'd say 2 out of 3 ain't bad, but the symphony concerts are the one I miss the most.

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:39 pm

slofstra wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:15 pm
In other news, my barber or hair stylist called today, and it's nice some things are coming back on line.
Best of luck, but IMHO Americans are in virus denial.

Ricordanza

Post by Ricordanza » Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:49 am

Rach3 wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:43 am
Ricordanza wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:42 am
Perhaps if there are cancellations without refunds of the money you actually paid, you can get a tax deduction as a charitable donation for the year in which the cancellation is announced if the organizations are 501(c)(3) organizations ? I believe in 2020 and 2021 there may be a new,limited " above the line " charitable deduct available even of you dont itemize deductions on Federal Schedule A.State tax law may give deduct, too. Maybe you have a CPA friend ?
I've already donated most of my cancelled March, April and May tickets and received acknowledgment for tax purposes.

Meanwhile, I just received an email from the Philadelphia Chamber Music Society about the 2020-21 season. Here's the relevant excerpt. Their fall schedule includes pianists Rafal Blechacz and Shai Wosner.
We wanted to update you about a change in plans regarding our 2020-21 Season performances this fall. Recently, we were informed by the Kimmel Center that, due to the continuing health risks of the pandemic and the costs necessary to ensure public safety, it will not be possible for us to hold our performances in the Perelman Theater as planned this fall.

In response, we are trying to reschedule our Perelman concerts from the fall to the spring, when we hope that the virus will be more under control. We are also exploring whether we can hold some of the concerts in other venues (such as the American Philosophical Society or College of Physicians) before smaller, socially distanced audiences—who are willing to abide by certain safety conditions—and with simultaneous live-streaming. We would do so, however, only if this can be done safely and in accordance with public health guidelines.

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:20 am

Shut-downs could be worse:

St.Petersburg’s communal aprtments. https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/13/worl ... e=Homepage

Ricordanza

Post by Ricordanza » Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:51 pm

I'll have to wait two more months until I find out the Philadelphia Orchestra's plans for the fall. Here's the relevant excerpt from the email I just received:
Since the onset of the pandemic and our last concert on March 12, we have all been wondering when it will be safe and practical for us—musicians and audience—to return to Verizon Hall for live music.

We have set Monday, August 17, as the date we will announce our fall concert plans to you, as a valued member of our Orchestra family.

As we study all of our options, please know that your safety is of the utmost importance. We will strictly follow recommendations from community health officials and CDC guidelines.