Scrapped Plans for London Concert Hall Sour Mood for U.K. Musicians

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

lennygoran

Scrapped Plans for London Concert Hall Sour Mood for U.K. Musicians

Post by lennygoran » Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:10 am

The decision comes as classical musicians struggle to deal with the impact of the pandemic and Britain’s departure from the European Union.

By Alex Marshall

Feb. 19, 2021

LONDON — Back in 2017, London music fans had high hopes for a reinvigoration of the city’s classical music scene.

That year, Simon Rattle, one of the world’s most acclaimed conductors, became the music director of the London Symphony Orchestra, and Diller Scofidio & Renfro, the architects behind the High Line in New York, were appointed to design a world-class 2,000-seat concert hall in the city.

Now, the situation couldn’t be more different.

On Thursday, just weeks after Rattle announced he would leave London in 2023 to take the reins at the Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra in Munich, London officials announced that plans for the new hall had been scrapped. Rattle had been the driving force behind the project.

In a news release announcing the decision, the City of London Corporation, the local government body overseeing the proposal, did not mention Rattle’s departure; the new hall would not go ahead because of the “unprecedented circumstances” caused by the coronavirus pandemic, the release said.

The announcement was not unexpected. Few private funders came forward for the project, and Britain’s government was reluctant to back the project, which critics had decried as elitist, after years of cuts to basic services.

But some musical experts say the news is still a blow to Britain’s classical musicians, already suffering from a pandemic-induced shutdown of their work, and Brexit, which has raised fears about their ability to to perform abroad.

“It’s a further confirmation of the parochialization of British music and the arts,” said Jasper Parrott, a co-founder of HarrisonParrott, a classical music agency, in a telephone interview.

The mood among musicians was low, Parrott said, especially because of changes to the rules governing European tours that came about because of Brexit. Before Britain left the European Union, classical musicians and singers could work in most European countries without needing visas or work permits, and many took last-minute bookings, jumping on low-cost flights to make concerts at short notice.

Classical musicians now require costly and time-consuming visas to work in some European countries, Parrott said. Changes to haulage rules also make it harder for orchestras to tour, he added: Trucks carrying their equipment are limited to two stops on the continent before they must return to Britain.

Deborah Annetts, the chief executive of the Incorporated Society of Musicians, said on Tuesday during a parliamentary inquiry into the new rules that she had been “inundated with personal testimony from musicians as to the work that they have lost, or are going to lose, in Europe as a result of the new visa and work permit arrangements.”

A British musician who wanted to play a concert in Spain would have to pay 600 pounds, or about $840, for a work permit, she said, adding that this would make such a trip unviable for many. She called upon the government to negotiate deals with European countries so cultural workers could move around more easily.

Parrott said he expected many British classical musicians would retrain for other careers, or move outside Britain for work, if the rules were not changed.

High profile departures like Rattle’s have only contributed to the impression of a sector in decline. On Jan. 22, Mirga Grazinyte-Tyla, a young Lithuanian conductor seen as a rising star, announced she would leave her post as music director of the Birmingham Symphony Orchestra at the end of the 2021-22 season. “This is a deeply personal decision, reflecting my desire to step away from the organizational and administrative responsibilities of being a music director,” she said in a statement at the time.

Manuel Brug, a music critic for Die Welt, the German newspaper, said in a telephone interview that, viewed from the continent, classical music in Britain seemed in a bad way, “with all this horrible news.”

The new London concert hall “was always a dream, but at least it was a dream,” he said.

Given recent developments, many British musicians and singers may have to consider moving to Europe if they wanted to succeed, he said.

Yet not all were downbeat about the future. British musicians could cope with the impact of the coronavirus, or Brexit — but not both at the same time, unless the government stepped in to help, said Paul Carey Jones, a Welsh bass baritone who has campaigned for the interests of freelance musicians during the pandemic.

“British artists are some of the best trained, most talented and most innovative and creative,” he said. “But what we’re almost completely lacking is support from the current government. So we need them to grasp the urgency of the situation.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/19/arts ... apped.html

maestrob

Re: Scrapped Plans for London Concert Hall Sour Mood for U.K. Musicians

Post by maestrob » Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:55 am

I hate to say it, but this is what happens when you rely on the government for support.

By contrast, our Deborah Borda is steaming ahead with plans to renovate Geffen Hall for our resident orchestra in NY based on the strength of private donations, as per a recent article you posted, Len.

I feel the pain of British and European musicians who have to contend with massive travel restrictions and lack of tax revenue to generate government support.

When, if ever, will we return to normal?

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:26 am

maestrob wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:55 am
Brian Sue and I talk about this constantly. Regards, Len

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:19 am

I love Great Britain - my DNA originates there by a large percentage as it does from the eastern/western European continent - and I have been there many times. Brexit is going to destroy the arts in Britain and, like us in the USA, with the Covid 19 connection, it makes things even worse. Someone there needs to wake up and protect the arts before they cease to have them any longer or if they have them at all, they will be seriously truncated.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:50 am

Lance wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:19 am
I love Great Britain
Lance so do we-miss it so much-I've been watching webcams fro there just to see what's going on now and over the last several months-some of them are very good! Regards, Len

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:08 pm

lennygoran wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:26 am
maestrob wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:55 am
Brian Sue and I talk about this constantly. Regards, Len
From WAPO newsletter tonight:

"When will daily life resume? When will it be safe to hug or party or sing karaoke or do X thing, like normal? No one knows. Uncertainty is perhaps the only thing U.S. public health experts will say that's certain about the future.

Those experts include infectious-disease researcher Anthony Fauci, who has declined to offer a timetable for the return of life as we knew it. By summer? Halloween? Christmas, even? “God willing,” Fauci has said, the 2021 winter holiday will look different from 2020’s. The doctor did predict, though, that face masks may be necessary into 2022."

absinthe

Post by absinthe » Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:12 am

"The new London concert hall “was always a dream, but at least it was a dream,”

Looks more like a nightmare to me.

Shame, though. It would help insure that London retains its top place as the world's most ugly skyline....
It has plenty of concert halls. Spend the money on the music instead.

It gets worse though as people rely increasingly on 'virtual performances'. Even affects me. Just over a year ago I was invited to compose several pieces for a local contemporary dance troupe. It receives no public funding so didn't want the expense of players (even though ex-pros and some superb amateurs would do it for nothing their expenses would have to be borne). I suggested just piano but no, there were preferences for instruments. So I composed some bits for about twelve VSTis - virtual instruments.
The troupe director and treasurer thought my DAW rederings were good enough to use. It not only avoided live players but ensured musical consistency at "rehearsals" such as they were. As the dancing was free-form to a basic choreographic template only two were planned so the dancers could anticipate the music to some extent.

Unfortunately it was cancelled because of the lockdown.
But it is a sign of the times - virtual rather than actual performance.