Vlado Perlemuter Box

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

maestrob

Vlado Perlemuter Box

Post by maestrob » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:19 am

Just noticed the above box of recordings by Lithuanian-born pianist Vlado Perlemutter, released in 2019, known for his interpretations of Ravel's piano works, which he studied with the composer himself. In fact, he was even invited by Ravel to play the four-hand version of Ma mere l'oye in concert with the composer himself.

Perlemutter also studied with Faure and Cortot, and is known for his interpretations of Faure's music as well.

This wonderful box is a must-have for me, since all I have on my shelves now is his quite definitive complete Ravel from Nimbus, recorded in 1979.

Any other takers?

CharmNewton

Re: Vlado Perlemuter Box

Post by CharmNewton » Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:26 pm

I may get it. Although I've read about him, I've never heard any of his recordings. As Membran has access to Vox's master tapes, these should sound pretty good (I'm assuming they are the Vox recordings).

John

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:41 am

A very fine pianist, Vlado Perlemuter. The bulk of his recordings appear on the Nimbus label and I have many or most of them. The Vox recordings included, near as I know and have, are the complete Mozart piano sonatas, which were released on Musical Concepts four-CD set 141 recorded in mono in 1956; also the complete Ravel solo piano music and piano concertos with Horenstein conducting recorded in mono in 1955) and issued on Vox two-CD set 5507 in their "Legend" series. Scribendum issued a two-CD set [015] of the original Concert Hall recordings including Chopin's 14 Waltzes, 15 Preludes, and Beethoven's "Emperor" Concerto with Vochting conducting. BBC Legends issued a live performance CD [4138] of an all-Chopin recital. And there are few others on Vive, and Newport, and Perlemuter as an accompanist in Volume 4 of EMI's Record of Singing.

As a Polish-born (now Lithuania) Jew, the Nazis were out to get him. I recall reading that Perlemuter studied with Alfred Cortot who did little or nothing to help him when things got out of control with the Nazis of which Cortot was an apparent sympathizer. At an early age, too, Vlado lost one of his eyes in an accident which did nothing to hinder his work as a pianist.

His Ravel was re-recorded for Nimbus, and that catalogue features Perlemuter in a wide range of composers from Chopin, Schumann, Beethoven, Fauré, Bach, Franck and a few others. The only composer on the Membran box I don't have is, as far as I can tell, the Schubert Trout Quintet and something else, string quartet movement arranged for piano.

About this new box from Membran, I wish I had a complete listing to see what all is included. I might be "game" for it.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

barney

Post by barney » Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:17 am

It seems as though his Ravel is a must have.
Not sure I want the rest.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:13 am

barney wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:17 am
It seems as though his Ravel is a must have.
Not sure I want the rest.
The Amazon page I see has two reviews from France, both with five stars. While they say nothing new, the recordings in this box are indeed the ones from Vox in the mid-fifties, not the later Nimbus stereo recordings made in 1979. While I have and admire those, one reviewer says that the Vox Ravel recordings are better. Here's the blurb from amazon's editor:
The Polish-born Frenchman Vlado Perlemuter was one of the great pianists of the 20th century and a legendary educator. A very artistic, sublime approach to the works of his favorite composers, a colorful way of playing and a superior musical mind characterize a musical personality presented here in a box set of 13 original albums from the years 1955 to 1961. It contains outstanding recordings such as the complete recordings of Ravel's piano works in authentic Ravel tradition, as Perlemuter, who was a great admirer of Ravel, had mastered his entire piano oeuvre in 1927 under the personal supervision of the composer and in 1929 became the first pianist to perform it again in the presence of the composer. Even the complete Mozart Sonatas - the recordings were made in 1956 on the occasion of Mozart's 200th birthday in Paris - have the status of reference recordings. Chopin and Schumann are further pillars of his repertoire. The Cortot student Perlemuter is considered an incomparable Chopin interpreter. Perlemuter has written music history not only with his concerts and recordings, but also with the lessons he gave at the Paris Conservatoire. Other works in this set include Schumann's Kreisleriana, his C major Fantasia, and Schubert's Trout Quintet and movement for String Quartet in C minor.
And here's the awkward English translation of one of the two five-star reviews from France:
Perlemuter belongs, like Lipatti, Backhaus or Kempff, to the race of keyboard lords. Same spiritual family:Vado was the son of Rabin, Kempff of pastor. They have in common an equal height of view.The Perlemuter box includes Ravel's complete piano work, still a must-see reference today. Only for these 3 discs, this box is essential! It also includes a number of works by Chopin, of which Perlemuter was a renowned performer (see the recordings by Nimbus whose acoustic quality is not at the level of the artist...). We must add, less interesting, Mozart's sonatas,...It should be noted, however, that at times the quality of the recordings is precarious (range 1 of the first disc) but generally satisfactory!

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:30 am

The Perlemuter box arrived yesterday. These are all Perlemuter's recordings made between 1955 and 1960 so, apparently some are in stereo. I have not had an opportunity to hear the restorations and most of this early material I did not have on CD except the complete Mozart and Ravel from Vox. (Been concentrating on flute music of late!) No credit is given for original labels. My first hearings will be Perlemuter's Schubert Trout Quintet and his Schuman Kreisleriana and Fantasy in C.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]