"Old Fashioned" is right, and I couldn't be happier!

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

"Old Fashioned" is right, and I couldn't be happier!

Post by Lance » Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:01 pm

If I was ever born in a different era, it must've been in the Victorian period. For as long as I can remember, those "old-fashioned" songs that nobody sings anymore left a huge impression on yours truly. The songs lived well into the first half of the twentieth century and then ... disappeared. I was delighted to find a disc called "Old Fashioned" on Bridge [9507] with baritone Brian Mulligan and pianist Craig Rutenberg issued in 2018. Where was I? I could have been enjoying this disc for more years. Brian Mulligan, in his notes, refers to those singers from years ago that inspired him to make this recording. He, being a baritone, alludes to singers such as John Charles Thomas, Lawrence Tibbett, Leonard Warren, and Nelson Eddy.

So what's on this disc of 21 tracks? Let me list them:
Because (d'Hardelot, 1902)
On the Road to Mandalay (Oley Speaks, 1907)
Sylvia (Speaks, 1914)
Bluebird of Happiness (Harmati, 1934)
Mother O' Mine (Tours, 1903)
Trees (Rasbach, 1922)
Green-Eyed Dragon (Charles, 1926)
There is No Death (G. O'Hara, 1919)
Trail of the Lonesome Pine (H. Carroll, 1913)
Birdsongs at Eventide (E. Coates, 1926)
Roses of Picardy (H. Wood, 1916)
When I Grow Too Old to Dream (S. Romberg, 1934)
Sweetest Story Ever Told (R. M. Stults, 1892)
I Love You Truly (C. Jacobs-Bond, 1901)
Lost Chord (A. Sullivan, 1877)
Lord's Prayer (Malotte, 1935)
Goin' Home (Dvorak, 1922)
Without a Song (V. Youmans, 1929)
When I Have Sung My Songs (E. Charles, 1934)
A Perfect Day (C. Jacobs-Bond, 1909)
I'll See You Again (N. Coward, 1929)

While not are all "Victorian," they are in that style, with accompaniments that bring a major affect to the words. These would have been considered "popular-type" songs enjoyed by those who loved classical music in, perhaps, a lighter vein, but each has something to "say."

I would be hopeful that Brian Mulligan brings out a second CD of this type of repertoire. He is brilliant joined by Craig Rutenberg at an 1876 Steinway (Type 4) piano that has the perfect tonal characteristics for these songs.

These are the types of recordings I eagerly seek, and, fortunately have found others who have made recordings over the years of this kind of repertoire, such as Benjamin Luxon/André Previn [EMI], Kenneth McKellar [Decca], Stuart Burrows [Decca], Charles Craig [EMI/Testament], John Aler [Delos], Kathleen Battle [New World], and many others on Hyperion, etc. Not to mention the old-timers listed above, but many singers from the acoustic and electrical 78-rpm era and into the mono LPs. Think John McCormack, Caruso, Galli-Curci. Anyway, thanks for letting me wander on!
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Holden Fourth

Re: "Old Fashioned" is right, and I couldn't be happier!

Post by Holden Fourth » Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:25 pm

Lance wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:01 pm
If I was ever born in a different era, it must've been in the Victorian period. For as long as I can remember, those "old-fashioned" songs that nobody sings anymore left a huge impression on yours truly. The songs lived well into the first half of the twentieth century and then ... disappeared. I was delighted to find a disc called "Old Fashioned" on Bridge [9507] with baritone Brian Mulligan and pianist Craig Rutenberg issued in 2018. Where was I? I could have been enjoying this disc for more years. Brian Mulligan, in his notes, refers to those singers from years ago that inspired him to make this recording. He, being a baritone, alludes to singers such as John Charles Thomas, Lawrence Tibbett, Leonard Warren, and Nelson Eddy.

So what's on this disc of 21 tracks? Let me list them:
Because (d'Hardelot, 1902)
On the Road to Mandalay (Oley Speaks, 1907)
Sylvia (Speaks, 1914)
Bluebird of Happiness (Harmati, 1934)
Mother O' Mine (Tours, 1903)
Trees (Rasbach, 1922)
Green-Eyed Dragon (Charles, 1926)
There is No Death (G. O'Hara, 1919)
Trail of the Lonesome Pine (H. Carroll, 1913)
Birdsongs at Eventide (E. Coates, 1926)
Roses of Picardy (H. Wood, 1916)
When I Grow Too Old to Dream (S. Romberg, 1934)
Sweetest Story Ever Told (R. M. Stults, 1892)
I Love You Truly (C. Jacobs-Bond, 1901)
Lost Chord (A. Sullivan, 1877)
Lord's Prayer (Malotte, 1935)
Goin' Home (Dvorak, 1922)
Without a Song (V. Youmans, 1929)
When I Have Sung My Songs (E. Charles, 1934)
A Perfect Day (C. Jacobs-Bond, 1909)
I'll See You Again (N. Coward, 1929)

While not are all "Victorian," they are in that style, with accompaniments that bring a major affect to the words. These would have been considered "popular-type" songs enjoyed by those who loved classical music in, perhaps, a lighter vein, but each has something to "say."

I would be hopeful that Brian Mulligan brings out a second CD of this type of repertoire. He is brilliant joined by Craig Rutenberg at an 1876 Steinway (Type 4) piano that has the perfect tonal characteristics for these songs.

These are the types of recordings I eagerly seek, and, fortunately have found others who have made recordings over the years of this kind of repertoire, such as Benjamin Luxon/André Previn [EMI], Kenneth McKellar [Decca], Stuart Burrows [Decca], Charles Craig [EMI/Testament], John Aler [Delos], Kathleen Battle [New World], and many others on Hyperion, etc. Not to mention the old-timers listed above, but many singers from the acoustic and electrical 78-rpm era and into the mono LPs. Think John McCormack, Caruso, Galli-Curci. Anyway, thanks for letting me wander on!
I have a 2 CD set called "The Greatest Voices" and the bolded songs from Lance's list are on it. It's a cheapo I got for $2.00 from a thrift shop but it's got some great music and some truly great voices including Richard Tauber, Paul Robeson, Josef Schmidt, Peter Dawson, John McCormack, Jan Peerce, Nelson Eddy and others. I frequently use this music on road trips. My favourite track is a bit more classical. It's the famous version of 'In the Depths of The Temple' sung by Merrill and Bjorling.

david johnson

Post by david johnson » Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:51 am

Lance, I've heard some of those, but never performed them.

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:49 am

Lance wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:01 pm
I was delighted to find a disc called "Old Fashioned" on Bridge [9507] with baritone Brian Mulligan and pianist Craig Rutenberg issued in 2018.
Lance now I'm delighted-it was available from Spotify and I just made a playlist for it-might be fun to listen to it in the car! Regards, Len :D

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:59 am

Holden Fourth wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:25 pm
I have a 2 CD set called "The Greatest Voices"
Holden, is it this one? Regards, Len

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:33 am

Lance, what a wonderful repertoire list. Glad to see that the audience for them while diminished, has not gone away completely.

But where are the recordings of all the fine music in operettas that we grew up with? I had a Readers' Digest collection of LPs (and other records as well) when I was young that featured two singers I would later meet in person, Anna Moffo and Judith Raskin (She sang a love duet with Mario Lanza that was recorded to his soundtrack 3 years after he died!). When I heard these as a teenager, I never imagined that I would have the chance to sit down with these two remarkably talented singers that brought me so much happiness.

Such uplifting music seems so out of fashion now, and I miss it a great deal.

Anyone remember these? Some of them have been remastered on 3 CDs, including all those with Anna Moffo.

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:05 am

maestrob wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:33 am

Anyone remember these? Some of them have been remastered on 3 CDs, including all those with Anna Moffo.

Brian, darn it-- Spotify didn't have it-right now I'm listening to Nelson Eddy and Jeanette Macdonald-those Golden Years with Spotify. Regards, Len :lol:

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:16 am

maestrob wrote:

But where are the recordings of all the fine music in operettas that we grew up with?
Brian any thoughts on these-these are available with spotify. Regards, Len

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:05 am

If I had my druthers, Len, I would choose the Fritz Wunderlich titles and then the Susan Graham French CD.

Enjoy! :wink:

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:41 pm

Yes, I bought that long ago when it was first issued by Readers' Digest. You mentioned some were transferred to CD. What label would have done that. If it involved Moffo or Raskin, I was always a taker. Maybe I already have it. And, of course, anything with Wunderlich was a must.
lennygoran wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:05 am
maestrob wrote:

Brian, darn it-- Spotify didn't have it-right now I'm listening to Nelson Eddy and Jeanette Macdonald-those Golden Years with Spotify. Regards, Len :lol:
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Holden Fourth

Post by Holden Fourth » Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:31 pm

lennygoran wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:59 am
Holden Fourth wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:25 pm
I have a 2 CD set called "The Greatest Voices"
Holden, is it this one? Regards, Len
Hello Len, have you got a link for that?

This is the one I've got

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:06 pm

maestrob wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:05 am
If I had my druthers, Len, I would choose the Fritz Wunderlich titles and then the Susan Graham French CD.

Enjoy! 😉
Brian thanks-I got Wunderlich right away-I'll go for Graham tomorrow-she's great! Regards, Len

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:12 pm

Holden Fourth wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:31 pm

This is the one I've got
Holden thanks-just couldn't find any link to that album-I'll try again tomorrow. Regards, Len

Holden Fourth

Post by Holden Fourth » Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:29 am

lennygoran wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:12 pm
Holden Fourth wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:31 pm

This is the one I've got
Holden thanks-just couldn't find any link to that album-I'll try again tomorrow. Regards, Len
Your post inspired me to search for it and I discovered a few more like it so thanks for that.

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:22 am

Holden Fourth wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:29 am
Your post inspired me to search for it and I discovered a few more like it so thanks for that.
Holden could you tell me which other ones you found-maybe spotify has them? Regards, Len

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:31 am

Lance wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:41 pm
Yes, I bought that long ago when it was first issued by Readers' Digest. You mentioned some were transferred to CD. What label would have done that. If it involved Moffo or Raskin, I was always a taker. Maybe I already have it. And, of course, anything with Wunderlich was a must.
lennygoran wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:05 am
maestrob wrote:

Good morning, Lance! :D

You can find them just by searching for "Readers' Digest Operetta," but here are the links and a CD cover picture.

Here's the link to the amazon page where the Readers' Digest operetta CDs are offered:

Discs 1, 2, & 3 (used copies from $24.00)

https://www.amazon.com/Readers-Digest-T ... 588&sr=8-3

Enjoy!