Why no more discs from Benjamin Grosvenor, pianist?

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

Why no more discs from Benjamin Grosvenor, pianist?

Post by Lance » Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:34 pm

When Benjamin Grosvenor's Decca discs hit the market, everyone was raving, including me. But since his last Liszt disc for the label, I'm not seeing anything new. Aside from the pandemic, what happened?
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Holden Fourth

Re: Why no more discs from Benjamin Grosvenor, pianist?

Post by Holden Fourth » Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:24 am

Maybe he's exploring new repertoire and wants to spend some time doing it. it could also be that with Covid virtually gone he now has a full touring schedule which, lets face it, is where the money comes from.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:42 am

Holden Fourth wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:24 am
Maybe he's exploring new repertoire and wants to spend some time doing it. it could also be that with Covid virtually gone he now has a full touring schedule which, lets face it, is where the money comes from.
Sounds reasonable to me. I haven't heard of anything negative. It's only been 18 months, so probably there's something in the works.

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:47 am

barney

Post by barney » Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:20 pm

Holden Fourth wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:24 am

I've never really thought about that, but these days I'm sure you are right. I think there was a time, perhaps the early days of stereo, where recordings produced the cash (especially if your name was, for example, von Karajan, though concerts would have been lucrative too) but I haven't read about it. Have you any sources?

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:44 pm

I recall reading somewhere that in one of the very last years of his life, perhaps the last, Rubinstein received a royalty check from RCA for about $900K. Whether one year or more I don’t recall, but would assume 1. He had not been concertizing for years.But, of course, long before the digital age, and he was Rubinstein, with an expensive Paris apartment and mistress to maintain.

CharmNewton

Post by CharmNewton » Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:30 pm

He and Hyeyoon Park released a version of The Lark Ascending for Violin and Piano last month (October) to celebrate Vaughan Williams 150th birthday anniversary.

https://www.deccaclassics.com/en/artist ... ing-267850

He recently re-signed a contract as an exclusive Decca artist so perhaps he is working on a recording that is really important to him.

John

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:36 pm

Thank you, John. I did read that he re-signed a Decca contract. I was glad to hear this. I did not know, however, that he recorded with Hyperion the The Lark Ascending. That one I will appreciate, for sure.
CharmNewton wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:30 pm
He and Hyeyoon Park released a version of The Lark Ascending for Violin and Piano last month (October) to celebrate Vaughan Williams 150th birthday anniversary.

https://www.deccaclassics.com/en/artist ... ing-267850

He recently re-signed a contract as an exclusive Decca artist so perhaps he is working on a recording that is really important to him.

John
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

CharmNewton

Post by CharmNewton » Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:10 am

The new release of The Lark Ascending is on Decca. Right now, it looks to be only available as a download (actually 5 downloads, as it is split into 5 parts), although the entire piece can be downloaded for a flat $3.99 from Amazon.com (£1.69 from Amazon.co.uk).

John

barney

Post by barney » Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:12 pm

Rach3 wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:44 pm
I recall reading somewhere that in one of the very last years of his life, perhaps the last, Rubinstein received a royalty check from RCA for about $900K. Whether one year or more I don’t recall, but would assume 1. He had not been concertizing for years.But, of course, long before the digital age, and he was Rubinstein, with an expensive Paris apartment and mistress to maintain.
That reminds me of two of our family's musical stories. My aunt married a Frenchman and spent years living in Paris. At a concert one evening, going to her seat, she tripped over some inconvenient legs. She looked up, and they belonged to Rubinstein!

An even greater claim to fame was my great great grandmother being patted on the head in her pram in Vienna and told she was a beautiful baby. The generous interlocutor was none other than Brahms.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:53 am

barney wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:12 pm
Rach3 wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:44 pm
That reminds me of two of our family's musical stories. My aunt married a Frenchman and spent years living in Paris. At a concert one evening, going to her seat, she tripped over some inconvenient legs. She looked up, and they belonged to Rubinstein!

An even greater claim to fame was my great great grandmother being patted on the head in her pram in Vienna and told she was a beautiful baby. The generous interlocutor was none other than Brahms.
Wonderful stories, Barney! I always sensed that the seeds of music-making were planted early on in your family.

Who knew it would all lead to a 10,000 CD collection! :lol:

barney

Post by barney » Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:03 pm

Indeed, Brian. :lol: