A British Opera Arrives In Paris

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

lennygoran

A British Opera Arrives In Paris

Post by lennygoran » Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:56 am

A British Opera, Still Gathering Fans, Arrives in Paris

Still in NYC I'll make use of the Times allowance for sharing. Regards, Len

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/01/24/arts ... =share-url

barney

Re: A British Opera Arrives In Paris

Post by barney » Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:30 pm

Ah Len, memories.
In 1981 I saw Jon Vickers in a famous production of Peter Grimes at the Paris Opera. I could afford only a limited viewing seat in the gods but, in a death-defying stunt I would certainly not be capable of today, I held on to a pillar and leant out over the auditorium. A magnificent roduction.

Paul Kildea, quoted in the article, has written a really interesting book on Chopin, btw, which is beside my bed as I type.

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:48 pm

barney wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:30 pm
Ah Len, memories.
In 1981 I saw Jon Vickers in a famous production of Peter Grimes at the Paris Opera. I could afford only a limited viewing seat in the gods but, in a death-defying stunt I would certainly not be capable of today, I held on to a pillar and leant out over the auditorium. A magnificent roduction.

Paul Kildea, quoted in the article, has written a really interesting book on Chopin, btw, which is beside my bed as I type.
Brian Grimes with Vickers-just incredible-the first time I was made aware of it-John F wanted to get rid of his laser machine and I went to his house and picked up that and some of his laser disks-the Grimes was just astounding-I don't care what Britten thought! Regards, Len :D

barney

Post by barney » Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:26 am

lennygoran wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:48 pm
barney wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:30 pm
Ah Len, memories.

Brian Grimes with Vickers-just incredible-the first time I was made aware of it-John F wanted to get rid of his laser machine and I went to his house and picked up that and some of his laser disks-the Grimes was just astounding-I don't care what Britten thought! Regards, Len :D
Brian Grimes? Len, have you discovered an unpublished Britten opera? How exciting! :lol:

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:39 am

Barney a missing coma here and there-not a big deal when you consider all the mistakes I make when at my tablet-the smartphone is even worse! Regards, Len :lol:

barney

Post by barney » Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:24 pm

Yes, the missing comma allowed my post and my entertainment. The mistake was that you should have been replying to me, not Brian. :lol: As you say, no biggie; we've all done it.

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:32 am

barney wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:24 pm
Yes, the missing comma allowed my post and my entertainment. The mistake was that you should have been replying to me, not Brian. :lol: As you say, no biggie; we've all done it.
Barney problem is I'm making more and more mistakes like that. Regards, Len :(

barney

Post by barney » Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:05 pm

lennygoran wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:32 am
barney wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:24 pm
Barney problem is I'm making more and more mistakes like that. Regards, Len :(
Len, the British royal family apparently has as its motto "never complain, never explain". I have three! Every change is for the worse (Joseph Heller in Good as Gold), the future will be better tomorrow (Dan Quayle) and - this one aquired from Joe posting a Peanuts strip a week or two ago - if you can't be right, be wrong as loudly as you can. I think motto 3 is relevant to you here.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:25 am

barney wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:05 pm
this one aquired from Joe posting a Peanuts strip a week or two ago - if you can't be right, be wrong as loudly as you can. I think motto 3 is relevant to you here.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Barney can't be me-I'm hoping to hide my mistakes but you keep finding them! Regards, Len :lol: