You know ... you are QUITE a group here!

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

You know ... you are QUITE a group here!

Post by Lance » Wed Mar 06, 2024 2:18 am

The thought occurs to me as I leaf through so many posts hereon, throughout the day and late into the evening, I marvel at the excellence of CMGers and what they have to say. So, I want to say: I really appreciate all of you! Thank you.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

david johnson

Re: You know ... you are QUITE a group here!

Post by david johnson » Wed Mar 06, 2024 5:53 am

Very nice of you, Lance.

Belle

Post by Belle » Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:42 am

The music section here at CMG is excellent and I enjoy reading about other people's
musical interests. Some align with my own and others do not, which is just fine.

Today I listened to the Alexis Weissenberg Scarlatti Sonatas and was able to write about them as others had listened to the new recording from Bruce Liu which also contained a few of these sonatas. There wouldn't be many other places where I could go for such a comment or conversation when people would instantly know what I mean. If I mentioned "Scarlatti Sonatas" to anybody I know they would first look puzzled and then their eyes would glaze over.

I like the 'compare and contrast' discussions too. Thank you, Lance, for your continued facilitation and diplomacy.

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:26 am

Lance thank you so much for all you do to keep this forum running! Regards, Len

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:32 am

Thank you Lance. What a kind thought!

Grateful to have you here as always. Thanks for all you do to keep us together.

Belle

Post by Belle » Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:57 pm

For what it's worth, there are only about 2 other classical music boards remaining and one of them is large and the other small; both are characterized by drivel and folderol - particularly the smaller one. It wouldn't even qualify as 'water-cooler talk'.

Thank heavens for CMG and informed, serious music discussion. :D

Febnyc

Post by Febnyc » Thu Mar 07, 2024 4:11 pm

Belle wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:57 pm
For what it's worth, there are only about 2 other classical music boards remaining and one of them is large and the other small; both are characterized by drivel and folderol - particularly the smaller one. It wouldn't even qualify as 'water-cooler talk'.

To which classical music boards are you referring?

I enjoy two other forums - Good Music Guide and Unsung Composers. They both are first class and support very interesting and in-depth discussions. Neither could, by any stretch, be labeled "drivel" or "folderol."

Of course, this is not to denigrate CMG which, thanks to Lance for so many years, offers a sane and intelligent place to share ideas about music. Grazie molto, Lance!

Belle

Post by Belle » Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:33 pm

Febnyc wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 4:11 pm
Belle wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:57 pm

To which classical music boards are you referring?

I enjoy two other forums - Good Music Guide and Unsung Composers. They both are first class and support very interesting and in-depth discussions. Neither could, by any stretch, be labeled "drivel" or "folderol."

Of course, this is not to denigrate CMG which, thanks to Lance for so many years, offers a sane and intelligent place to share ideas about music. Grazie molto, Lance!
I don't know one of those you mention, but for the other, larger one there is a considerable section of folderol. Typically with many of these boards there is a cohort which dominates the debate and which doesn't tolerate dissent. About anything. From what I've seen (true, this was some time ago), none of them is particularly astute anyway. But I guess this is a function of the technology!

The other is a smaller, composer-specific site at which nothing of significance ever comes up.

Right now I'm engaged in the mental gymnastics of a helping a sister with a lengthy law research task. Very ironically, part of that project is looking at how technology has shaped access to the law. I've done truckloads of reading and I find I'm needing 'down time' to process everything in order to run it by my sister. We will conference the issues before she attempts to put it down 'on paper'.

barney

Post by barney » Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:33 pm

I joined Talkclassical.com and enjoyed it for a while, but I've gone off it now. Too many petulant egotists who insult those who disagree, and too much repetition. Some good people there,though. CMG has had my loyalty since 2008!
Was TC one of the ones you had in mind, Belle?

Belle

Post by Belle » Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:27 pm

barney wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:33 pm
I joined Talkclassical.com and enjoyed it for a while, but I've gone off it now. Too many petulant egotists who insult those who disagree, and too much repetition. Some good people there,though. CMG has had my loyalty since 2008!
Was TC one of the ones you had in mind, Belle?
Yes, that's one of them. The other isn't much better and completely accords with what you say. Life is too short for this guff.

What I like about this one here is the smaller group interactions. Less is more!!!