Symphonies " to the nines "

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Rach3

Symphonies " to the nines "

Post by Rach3 » Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:20 pm

Even though just recently hearing the Elgar Sym.No.2, despite being one who is not a big symphonist, I nonetheless did my duty this am with these 2 as one would especially not want to miss the VPO live:

Bruckner Sym. No.9

Netherlands Philharmonic,Hartmut Haenchen,Conductor,live Feb.26,2024,Amsterdam

https://www.nporadio4.nl/concerten/72d5 ... fonie-nr-9

Mahler Sym.No.9, Vienna Philharmonic,Welser-Most,live March 3 (?),2024,Carnegie Hall

https://www.wqxr.org/shows/carnegie/

For me, the Bruckner more engaging.

Whew, now for some solo piano music !

Belle

Re: Symphonies " to the nines "

Post by Belle » Wed Mar 06, 2024 4:38 pm

There's something about 'the nines'. Schubert, Dvorak and Vaughan Williams all wrote nine symphonies. Maybe that number took on mysterious significance by the end of the 19th century!! In any case, I wouldn't be without the Schubert or Dvorak.

Here is the Vaughan Williams with Boult: I find VW more interesting as a symphonist than Elgar. You can hear his influences at play in this (the aforesaid Mahler and Bruckner).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByvpHg4oAkc

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:21 pm

Belle wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 4:38 pm
There's something about 'the nines'. Schubert, Dvorak and Vaughan Williams all wrote nine symphonies.
I got over-exposed to the Dvorak 9th, his I listen to now are only the 5th and 7th. Agree the Schubert and VW 9th's are great, my Schuberts Toscanini/NBC and Monteux/Boston.

Belle

Post by Belle » Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:34 pm

Yes, absolutely agree comparatively about the Dvorak. I love his 7th more.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:42 am

Thanks for those, Steve! We just heard Welser-Most at Carnegie Hall lead Bruckner IX in a magnificent performance, and I'm looking forward to hearing his Mahler as well here. The finale of the first movement was quite emotional for me in the Bruckner. What a fine orchestra!

Heck148

Post by Heck148 » Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:15 am

maestrob wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:42 am
....We just heard Welser-Most at Carnegie Hall lead Bruckner IX in a magnificent performance, and I'm looking forward to hearing his Mahler as well here. The finale of the first movement was quite emotional for me in the Bruckner. What a fine orchestra!
We were there, too!!
It was very good - not the big powerhouse versions of, say, Solti or Mravinsky, but very well paced and balanced. Welser-Most kept it moving...we heard the following night, also - Hindemith, Strauss, Schoenberg, Ravel....very good...
The orchestras sounds terrific - excellent balance within and between sections...