Rachmaninov works for two pianos

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Belle

Rachmaninov works for two pianos

Post by Belle » Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:47 am

I have Engerer and Maisenberg playing these and the CD is on right now. This recording isn't to my taste anymore (dull) so I've put down my book and come here for advice. Double CD includes Symphonic Dances.

I'm asking the gurus here about what I should buy which will satisfy in these works. Please.

Lance
Site Administrator

Re: Rachmaninov works for two pianos

Post by Lance » Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:33 am

Dear Belle:
There's that new DGG CD [486 4805, 2 CDs] coming out soon (mine should be here Monday) with Trifonov and Babayan, which includes the two Suites (Nos. 1 and 2), a transcription of a movement from Rach's Second Symphony, and the Symphonic Dances. Trif is your cup o' tea anyway, and the set is priced lower than usual. Argerich and Freire recorded the Symphonic Dances on DGG (and another on EMI with another pianist), Emanuel Ax and Yefin Bronfman recorded an all-Rachmaninoff CD Sony [61767], Vladimir Ashkenazy and André Previn gave us Rach on two pianos [Decca 444 845, 2 CDs], Louis Lortie and Helene Mercier gave us an all-Rach [Chandos 10882], Howard Shelly and wife Hilary Macnamara an all-Rach [Hyperion 66375], Martin Roscoe and Peter Donohoe give us an all-Rach [Naxos 8.557062], another great one offers Nicolai Petrov and Alexander Gindin [Piano Classics 0058], Argerich and Rabinovitch give us yet another one [Teldec/Erato 74717]. There are others I have but have carefully thought out the ones that would give you the most musical satisfaction! SO: go for the new Trifonov/Babayan; Ashkenazy/Previn if you want CDs with ALL Rachmaninoff. Most of them are all Rachmaninoff, but the major pieces I love, personally, so much are the Suites Nos. 1 and 2 and the Symphonic Dances. Other CMGers may give you some ideas. But I carefully have listened to all these (I am a Rach idolizer, in fact). Incidentally, I, too, have the Harmonia-Mundi set of Engerer and Maisenberg, but that one not on the top of my list. [As an afterthought, I performed with Vladimir Horowitz the two Suites and Symphonic Dances that was recorded privately. That is unavailable!] :lol:
Belle wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:47 am
I have Engerer and Maisenberg playing these and the CD is on right now. This recording isn't to my taste anymore (dull) so I've put down my book and come here for advice. Double CD includes Symphonic Dances.

I'm asking the gurus here about what I should buy which will satisfy in these works. Please.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:17 am

At YT I think, you may wish to have a listen to Vronsky & Babin, mine their original RCA lp, but it was a re-released on cd I think.Just the 2 Suites, Op.5 and Op.17.

Per the liner notes, they played the Op.5 for Rachmaninoff in person at his home in NY,and he had forgotten he had written the work.

Belle

Post by Belle » Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:00 pm

Thanks for these two recommendations, gentlemen. I'll get onto it today.

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:32 pm

Indeed, Vronsky & Babin - one of the great piano duos of all time. The two Rach Suites appeared on RCA LP LSC-2648. Fortunatley, in 2016, RCA issued a huge set [32174] called "Living Stereo Collectors Edition" and included the Suites as CD #52. Another one called "176 Keys" [LSC-2417] appears [CD #28] was also included making this set all the more worthwhile. Apparently, everyone having an affair with "Living Stereo" sound could get many of those issues all in one box set!
Rach3 wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:17 am
At YT I think, you may wish to have a listen to Vronsky & Babin, mine their original RCA lp, but it was a re-released on cd I think.Just the 2 Suites, Op.5 and Op.17.

Per the liner notes, they played the Op.5 for Rachmaninoff in person at his home in NY,and he had forgotten he had written the work.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:34 pm

So, which way are you going to go? I think I know! :D
Belle wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:00 pm
Thanks for these two recommendations, gentlemen. I'll get onto it today.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

Belle

Post by Belle » Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:41 pm

The Triff and Babayan, but I'll definitely look at those other recommendations.

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:58 pm

Sorry if I overdid it on recommendations. When people ask those questions, what's left of the brain goes into full action. I love talking about recordings and performances, so appreciate your always interesting comments and questions. Music is life!
Belle wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:41 pm
The Triff and Babayan, but I'll definitely look at those other recommendations.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:58 am

Rach3 wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:17 am

The V&B : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkWfBQr9eVM&t=1197s

As one reviewer noted, a sense of one pianist with twenty fingers, not two pianists.Wonderful elan, transparency, momentum , without exaggeration.

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:44 pm

My copy of the DGG "Rachmaninoff for Two" arrived today, Sunday, thanks to Prime! I will be anxious to hear the whole two discs today. Also interesting about this set is that Babayan plays a Steinway and Trifonov plays a Bõsendorfer. I once had to match a Baldwin with a Bechstein - and received compliments about the two pianos sounding so well matched together. It's not easy sometimes ... one does what one has to do!
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

Belle

Post by Belle » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:44 am

Lance, it seems I'm unable to buy the Rachmaninov with Trifonov and Babayan as I've just scoured Amazon Australia and it isn't anywhere to be seen.

Do you have any ideas where else I may be able to find this?

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:44 pm

I got mine from Amazon/USA for about $19 (2-CD set) but had to wait for a while. This is a new release that may not be on Australia's shores as yet. Presto in the UK has it for $22.50/US price plus shipping. This is a great place, good service, huge catalogue, but shipping costs are decent if you have a large order. I understand shipping to and from Australia to the UK or US runs high for individual items. But I can assure you this set is the one Belle is going to want! :)
Belle wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:44 am
Lance, it seems I'm unable to buy the Rachmaninov with Trifonov and Babayan as I've just scoured Amazon Australia and it isn't anywhere to be seen.

Do you have any ideas where else I may be able to find this?
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:24 pm

Have to tell you, this new DGG "Rachmaninoff for Two" is overpowering. Had had a chance to audition both discs. These two pianists work together superbly, a perfect match for performers. For Rachmaninoffians, this must surely be a must-have release.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:09 pm

Lance wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:24 pm
Have to tell you, this new DGG "Rachmaninoff for Two" is overpowering. Had had a chance to audition both discs. These two pianists work together superbly, a perfect match for performers. For Rachmaninoffians, this must surely be a must-have release.
Sure thing!

My copy just arrived. Thanks for the alert!

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Fri May 03, 2024 11:14 pm

I've listened again to the whole set and cannot believe the incredible pianism displayed in these Rachmaninoff pieces. One of the best piano recordings (including sound-wise) that I've heard in a long time. Here's where two artist's musical hearts beat at the same time! Six stars for this one! (Sorry, Brian!) :D
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief