Mahler Song Cycles: Kindertotenlieder

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

Mahler Song Cycles: Kindertotenlieder

Post by Lance » Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:54 pm

Somewhat of a discussion of Mahler's two great song cycles with Kindertotenlieder going first. Kindertotenlieder translates to Songs on the Death of Children, hardly a subject anyone might want to talk about. It took Rücket's 428 poems (!) written between 1833-1834 to inspire Mahler to compose this four-part cycle between 1901-1904, choosing only five to write his cycle. Sung in German, the English translation gives some idea of what the song implies: 1) Now the sun wants to rise brightly; 2) Now I see why with such dark flames; 3) When your mama; 4) I often think they just stepped out; 5) In this weather. Obviously one needs to read the full text to have the complete understanding. Mahler had his own problem losing his siblings at an early age. When his daughter Maria died at age four of scarlet fever, he told a friend that he could not have written these songs.

Why am I writing about these cycles (not all at once)? I listened today to an extraordinary performance you might not expect to be so passionate and overwhelming with such a subject. The recording: Supraphon 3030 with mezzo-soprano Dagmar Pecková with Jiri Belohlavek leading the Prague Chamber Philharmonic Orchestra. [The Songs of a Wayfarer are equally compelling on this disc.] Amazon carries the disc currently between $68 and $500/USA ... there must be a reason! There is: the performance! A singer must be able to convey the meaning of the words ... the sorrow. Pecková succeeds. Personally, I prefer to hear the cycle sung by a female voice.

I almost hesitate to tell you the recordings I have of all the Mahler cycles, that's how much I cherish these cycles. I will point out the important ones for me; surely, you will have at least one or two at your own disposal, but there are more than shown here, and if orchestra was not at my fingertips, I didn't show it. Hopefully, no errors. I've highlighted my preferred versions:
:
Bernstein/NYP, Jennie Tourel, Sony (live and commercial releases)
Bernstein/Israel PO, Jennie Tourel, Sony
Maazel/VPO, Agnes Baltsa, Sony
C. Abbado/Berlin PO, Lipovsek, Sony
Boult/VPO, Kirsten Flagstad, Decca
Knappertsbusch/VPO, Kirsten Flagstad, Decca
Klemperer/Concertgebouw, Kathleen Ferrier, Decca
Henry Lewis/Royal PO, Marilyn Horne, Decca
Kubelik/Bavarian RSO, Fischer-Dieskau, DGG
Bernstein/Thomas Hampson, DGG
Sinopoli/Philharmonia, Bryn Terfel, DGG
Karajan/Berlin PO, Christa Ludwig, DGG
Bõhm/Berlin PO, Fischer-Dieskau, DGG
Barbirolli/Halle, Janet Baker, EMI
B. Walter/VPO, Kathleen Ferrier, EMI
Klemperer/Philharmonic, Christa Ludwig, EMI
Vandernoot, Christa Ludwig, EMI
Ozawa/Boston SO, Jessye Norman, Philips
Haitink/Concertgebouw, Hermann Prey, Philips
Belohlavek/Prague Chamber PO, Dagmar Pecková, Supraphon
Monteux/San Francisco, Marian Anderson, RCA
Munch/Boston SO, Maureen Forrester, RCA
Orchestra, George London (live 1955)
Horenstein/Scottish Natl Orch, Janet Baker (live)
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

mikealdren

Re: Mahler Song Cycles: Kindertotenlieder

Post by mikealdren » Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:23 am

Coincidentally Kindertotenlieder was the work reviewed last week by the BBC's Record Review. Marjana Lipovsek with Abbado was selected as the 'library choice'.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:40 am

Goodness, Lance, lots of wonderful material in that list. I've got some catching up to do!

My go to version of the Kindertotenlieder would be Christa Ludwig/HvK, with a very close second from Dame Janet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7tBocjEYnc

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:37 pm

Well, you've got two great ones! Try to hear some of Pecková's Supraphone recording if you have a chance. I was really impressed and will be interested to know what you think. Hers is a rich, powerfully expressive voice. Plus you get her Songs of a Wayfarer as well and some of the Rückert lieder. What joys we have in great listening!
maestrob wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:40 am
Goodness, Lance, lots of wonderful material in that list. I've got some catching up to do!

My go to version of the Kindertotenlieder would be Christa Ludwig/HvK, with a very close second from Dame Janet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7tBocjEYnc
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]