Global Warming Dogma

Discuss whatever you want here ... movies, books, recipes, politics, beer, wine, TV ... everything except classical music.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

JackC

Global Warming Dogma

Post by JackC » Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:49 am

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/03/ ... 4389.shtml

So Al Gore goes on 60 minutes and says that doubting that global warming is manmade is like doubtig that man landed on the moon or that like believing that the earth is flat.

This is a tactic often employed the the intellegensia on the Left to convert impressionable young minds. It is used very effectively on University campuses. New students, who often have doubts about their intellectual abilities and want desperately to "belong", are sent the message that if you don't accept the political positions the faculty advocate,s then they must be some sort of moral misfit and/or dumb unsophisticated hick.

So Al Gore, who himself is unlikely to have the scientific background sufficient to really evaulate counterevidence or hypotheses contrary to his position, seeks to stifle any debate by saying that if you even try to debate the issue all that that would show is that you are a mental midget or worse

This is highly anti-intellectual and the very antithesis of critical thinking. It's also dangerous.

Holden Fourth

Post by Holden Fourth » Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:29 pm

With the today's unenlightened and gutter press who will print anything to sell copy this is now a favourite tactic. "If you can't attack the theory, attack the person who is proposing it". On another forum (Australian) we have a member who was, according to him, a member of the IPCC group. When I started a thread questioning whether global warming is actually occurring and cited opposing views his response was to attack the authors of those ideas. I also posed the CO2 being heavier than air conundrum in the form of a question. He continued to skirt around it until I directly challenged him, as a scientist, to 'please explain?' (Aussies will resonate with this phrase). I got a very garbled account about how it all mixes and how convection effects help propel CO2 into the upper atmosphere but I stuck to my guns. If it is heavier than air how can it get up there and if it does surely it will sink again. He finally shot himself in the foot with an erroneous statement that fellow posters with a lot more knowledge than I took apart.

What the whole lot indicates that if you have a slick production team, a sympathetic media and a general public who has been trained not to question every thing they see and hear you can promote anything as truth/fact. Next thing you know they'll be trying to tell us the world isn't flat

LSAmadeus

Post by LSAmadeus » Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:04 pm

I wish they'd drop the whole global warming lable and use Climate Change instead. The former causes too much conflict with people not believing its happening because its 'not that warm outside'
'If I cant see it I dont believe it' kind of thing, and the words Global Warming simply feed that kind of thinking.

CharmNewton

Post by CharmNewton » Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:38 pm

LSAmadeus wrote:I wish they'd drop the whole global warming lable and use Climate Change instead. The former causes too much conflict with people not believing its happening because its 'not that warm outside'
'If I cant see it I dont believe it' kind of thing, and the words Global Warming simply feed that kind of thinking.
Being unable to prove the existence of global climate change has a lot to do with people not believing it. First hand experience is the great teacher. Global does means everywhere, and I can assure you that here in Portland, OR it isn''t happening. The dampness, cold ans wind are just as cutting as they've been for the past 10 years. If the temperature gets slightly warmer in one part and colder in some other, well, it happens all of the time.

John

Mango

Post by Mango » Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:05 pm

CharmNewton wrote: Being unable to prove the existence of global climate change has a lot to do with people not believing it. First hand experience is the great teacher. Global does means everywhere, and I can assure you that here in Portland, OR it isn''t happening. The dampness, cold ans wind are just as cutting as they've been for the past 10 years. If the temperature gets slightly warmer in one part and colder in some other, well, it happens all of the time.
I thought the problem is that the global average temperature has been rising for at least a century. There is bound to be variation in different parts of the globe.

greymouse

Re: Global Warming Dogma

Post by greymouse » Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:57 pm

JackC wrote: This is highly anti-intellectual and the very antithesis of critical thinking. It's also dangerous.
I agree. Truly I have no idea what the best arguments are for both sides. But I get annoyed talking with people about it around me who take it for granted and know absolutely nothing about science. It's basically, "Scientists who've studied this are good and virtuous. Conservatives are dumb and religious." So I want to believe it's a bunch of garbage, but it's good to keep an open mind.

There have been some awfully uncomfortable summers recently. But there have been some nasty winters as well. I think when it gets cold like this, the climate change people claim a large iceberg melted off and is cooling everything down in its path and it reverses ocean currents and stuff. I saw the Gore movie and he showed some change in a rock formation in Antarctica and dated it to the Clean Air Act. :lol: Well, it's just a wee suspect if you're trying to think critically.
Last edited by greymouse on Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Holden Fourth

Post by Holden Fourth » Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:57 pm

LSAmadeus wrote:I wish they'd drop the whole global warming lable and use Climate Change instead. The former causes too much conflict with people not believing its happening because its 'not that warm outside'
The climate is, always has been and always will be in a continual state of flux so it's nothing new either.