Clinton vows to continue contesting the Demo nomination

Discuss whatever you want here ... movies, books, recipes, politics, beer, wine, TV ... everything except classical music.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

DavidRoss

Clinton vows to continue contesting the Demo nomination

Post by DavidRoss » Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:13 am

Clinton Resists Calls To Drop Out
Dean Says Nomination Should Be Set by July

By Anne E. Kornblut and Perry Bacon Jr.
Washington Post Staff Writers
Saturday, March 29, 2008; Page A01

Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton pushed back hard yesterday against calls for her to withdraw from the presidential race, with aides saying she remains more determined than ever to remain in the contest until the end of the primary season.

The Story

This can mean only one thing: The Clintons must have a particularly nasty attack planned to smear Obama when they think the time is right.
"Most men, including those at ease with problems of the greatest complexity, can seldom accept even the simplest and most obvious truth if it would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions which they have delighted in explaining to colleagues, which they have proudly taught to others, and which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabric of their lives." ~Leo Tolstoy

"It is the highest form of self-respect to admit our errors and mistakes and make amends for them. To make a mistake is only an error in judgment, but to adhere to it when it is discovered shows infirmity of character." ~Dale Turner

"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either." ~Albert Einstein
"Truth is incontrovertible; malice may attack it and ignorance may deride it; but, in the end, there it is." ~Winston Churchill

greymouse

Post by greymouse » Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:44 pm

Agreed. She's still quite optimistic after a rather brutal primary season. Plus, the Wright thing happened right after Obama's latest victories which seemed too early to be effective. I expect another punch.

RebLem
Location: Albuquerque, NM, USA 87112, 2 blocks west of the Breaking Bad carwash.

Post by RebLem » Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:26 am

I am, of course, an Obama supporter. But, I can understand HRC's desire to stay in the race for the time being; there may have been lots of polls about how people reacted to the Jeremiah Wright revelations, but no actual electoral test since then, and it seems reasonable for her to want to stay in through NC and Oregon, at least.

What I object to is all the negative campaigning against Obama. Doing that suggests HRC has a "rule or ruin" attitude and strategy. What is particularly insidious, it seems to me, is that HRC the other day was very conciliatory, saying either she or Obama was better than McCain, and people should think hard before they decide to vote for McCain if their DEM favorite loses the nomination. That's a good message, but the problem is she doesn't seem to have given the message to any of her surrogates like James Carville, or even Willie Jeff his own self.

Would I vote for Hillary if she got the nomination? Depends on how she got it. If there were some kind of smoking gun in the Rezko case, for example, that tied Obama much more closely to corruption than I now think he is, and people switch from him to HRC because of it--yes, I'd vote for her. But if she manipulates the system to get delegates for Michigan and Florida certified to vote for her, and she is rewarded for violating the rules (esp in Michigan, where she was the only DEM on the ballot who did not withdraw as the DNC had requested), if its just one more sad case in American history of a black man who followed the rules like everybody always says they should, getting screwed for having done so by a white candidate who did not follow the rules and who is rewarded for it, there is no way I could vote for her.

Oh, and one more thing. Her latest explanation for the fact that she lied about Tuzla is that she was sleep deprived. And yet, she's the one who wants us to believe that she's the only candidate who can take a crisis phone call at 3 AM and deal with it, despite the hour, with a clear head and a keen intelligence. Am I the only one who sees a disconnect here?

Posted on March 30, 2008, the 296th day before the end of the Cheney Administration, and the 1,975th day after Shrub’s announcement of “Mission Accomplished” in Iraq. RebLem
Don't drink and drive. You might spill it.--J. Eugene Baker, aka my late father
"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."--Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S. Carolina.
"Racism is America's Original Sin."--Francis Cardinal George, former Roman Catholic Archbishop of Chicago.

stenka razin
CMG's Chief Decorator

Post by stenka razin » Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:28 am

Clinton or Obama............Either one would make a far better choice than John McCain. 8)

Daisy

Clinton vs Obama

Post by Daisy » Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:15 am

She's lost the nomination, but she's too obcessive and single-minded to let it slip out of her hands. She'll run as an independant if she has to. Never mind. I'm enjoying the show. I love it when Democrats eat each other for lunch and spit out the bones. Leaves room for the Good Guys to win. :lol:
"Your notions, though many,
are not worth a penny."
(...Thank you, KoKo)