"Women over 40" by Andy Rooney

Discuss whatever you want here ... movies, books, recipes, politics, beer, wine, TV ... everything except classical music.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

piston

"Women over 40" by Andy Rooney

Post by piston » Fri May 09, 2008 9:32 am

As I grow in age, I value women over 40 most of all. Here are just a few reasons why:

A woman over 40 will never wake you in the middle of the night and ask, 'What are you thinking?' She doesn't care what you think.

If a woman over 40 doesn't want to watch the game, she doesn't sit around whining about it. She does something she wants to do, and it's usually more interesting.

Women over 40 are dignified. They seldom have a screaming match with you at the opera or in the middle of an expensive restaurant. Of course, if you deserve it, they won't hesitate to shoot you if they think they can get away with it.

Older women are generous with praise, often undeserved. They know what it's like to be unappreciated.

Women get psychic as they age. You never have to confess your sins to a woman over 40.

Once you get past a wrinkle or two, a woman over 40 is far sexier than her younger counterpart.

Older women are forthright and honest. They'll tell you right off if you are a jerk, if you are acting like one. You do n't ever have to wonder where you stand with her.

Yes, we praise women over 40 for a multitude of reasons. Unfortunately, it's not reciprocal. For every stunning, smart, well-coiffed, hot woman over 40, there is a bald, paunchy relic in yellow pants making a fool of himself with some 22-year old waitress. Ladies, I apologize.

For all those men who say, 'Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free?', here's an update for you. Nowadays 80% of women are against marriage. Why? Because women realize it's not worth buying an entire pig just to get a little sausage!

Auntie Lynn

Post by Auntie Lynn » Fri May 09, 2008 1:44 pm

What I am hearing from my younger gentlemen friends is: ladies over 40 are discreet, they can read the wine list, they have Greater Wisdom, they think twice, they know - if not all - most of The Moves, they are not contentious, they know - before you do - that It's Over...

What I am hearing from my younger gentleman friends about ladies Under 40 - they don't have anything to talk about and they all have that Mall Mentality...

Donald Isler

Post by Donald Isler » Fri May 09, 2008 2:04 pm

Although it's a well-written and amusing column, the context of it is kind of funny. Andy Rooney himself, is pushing 90, so one would think he would think of 40 year olds practically as kids, as we 50 somethings may think of 20 year olds.
Donald Isler

Evelyn Laden

Post by Evelyn Laden » Fri May 09, 2008 3:38 pm

Just because Andy Rooney said "women over 40" does not exclude the possibility that he meant women WAY OVER 40, Maybe right up to 90! He possibly doesn't even know any merely 40 plus women! After all, many women claim to be "over 21." That leaves the question of how much over 21 wide open, and remains to be answered by the eyes of beholders.

Teresa B

Post by Teresa B » Fri May 09, 2008 7:50 pm

Donald Isler wrote:Although it's a well-written and amusing column, the context of it is kind of funny. Andy Rooney himself, is pushing 90, so one would think he would think of 40 year olds practically as kids, as we 50 somethings may think of 20 year olds.
Yes, I used to turn heads, but now as a woman of a "certain age", I find few heads turning, alas, as the octegenarians who own them also own necks too arthritic for more than a 10-degree range of motion.
:wink:
Teresa
"We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad." ~ The Cheshire Cat

Author of the novel "Creating Will"

Agnes Selby
Author of Constanze Mozart's biography

wp,men over 40

Post by Agnes Selby » Fri May 09, 2008 8:40 pm

Teresa B wrote:
Donald Isler wrote:Although it's a well-written and amusing column, the context of it is kind of funny. Andy Rooney himself, is pushing 90, so one would think he would think of 40 year olds practically as kids, as we 50 somethings may think of 20 year olds.
Yes, I used to turn heads, but now as a woman of a "certain age", I find few heads turning, alas, as the octegenarians who own them also own necks too arthritic for more than a 10-degree range of motion.
Teresa
-----------------

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Never mind, we are all still absolutely gorgeous :!:
-----------------

Werner
CMG's Elder Statesman

Post by Werner » Fri May 09, 2008 9:00 pm

Of course, - and all the way up to 125! :lol: :lol:
Werner Isler

DavidRoss

Post by DavidRoss » Fri May 09, 2008 11:14 pm

Teresa B wrote: Yes, I used to turn heads, but now as a woman of a "certain age", I find few heads turning, alas, as the octegenarians who own them also own necks too arthritic for more than a 10-degree range of motion.
Teresa
You still turn my head, Teresa, and I'm not that arthritic...yet!
"Most men, including those at ease with problems of the greatest complexity, can seldom accept even the simplest and most obvious truth if it would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions which they have delighted in explaining to colleagues, which they have proudly taught to others, and which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabric of their lives." ~Leo Tolstoy

"It is the highest form of self-respect to admit our errors and mistakes and make amends for them. To make a mistake is only an error in judgment, but to adhere to it when it is discovered shows infirmity of character." ~Dale Turner

"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either." ~Albert Einstein
"Truth is incontrovertible; malice may attack it and ignorance may deride it; but, in the end, there it is." ~Winston Churchill

Evelyn Laden

Post by Evelyn Laden » Fri May 09, 2008 11:27 pm

Gilbert & Sullivan said "...she could very well pass for forthy-three in the dark with the light behind her." A certain gentleman used to quote that to me when I was no more than in my 30s. Again, the judgment was purely subjective, and I never took it seriously. Nor would I today, even though I've already passed my 30s, "in the dark with the light behind me" or in front.

Madame

Post by Madame » Sat May 10, 2008 2:09 am

The reason used to be so much simpler -- we are SO grateful! :)

The language has changed -- a good number of the available men late 60s to mid 70's are looking for a nurse with a purse.

Agnes Selby
Author of Constanze Mozart's biography

Women

Post by Agnes Selby » Sat May 10, 2008 4:59 am

Madame wrote:The reason used to be so much simpler -- we are SO grateful! :)

The language has changed -- a good number of the available men late 60s to mid 70's are looking for a nurse with a purse.
---------------

Ah, but the nurse with a purse may be looking for a much younger man.
That's what the purse is for.
Or else, she may be looking for a purse larger than hers.

Agnes.
----------------

TopoGigio

Post by TopoGigio » Sat May 10, 2008 7:13 am

If they were as JenniferONeill or StephanieBeacham ! :wink:
Last edited by TopoGigio on Wed May 14, 2008 3:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Auntie Lynn

Post by Auntie Lynn » Sat May 10, 2008 7:44 am

Don't call us, we'll call you and don't hold your breath...