Without Further Hashing my Family Skeletons, ...

Discuss whatever you want here ... movies, books, recipes, politics, beer, wine, TV ... everything except classical music.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Post Reply
dulcinea
Posts: 3466
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:39 pm
Location: tampa, fl

Without Further Hashing my Family Skeletons, ...

Post by dulcinea » Mon May 03, 2010 10:15 pm

... what should you do with selfish weak parental units who refuse to accept that you are a grown woman of 55 instead of a child of 5 whose sole reason for existing is to make said parental units forget that their own lives have been 80 wasted years of utter failure, with no achievements, no purpose and no direction--lives that have been as full and rewarding as the life of a rock?
Let every thing that has breath praise the Lord! Alleluya!

Proton
Posts: 218
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:10 am
Location: 40° 49' 36.97"N 73° 55' 42.21"W

Re: Without Further Hashing my Family Skeletons, ...

Post by Proton » Tue May 04, 2010 11:59 am

Perhaps a nice dinner at Red Lobster™?


"A lie can run around the world before the truth can get its boots on."
James Watt

“No government has the right to decide on the truth of scientific principles, nor to prescribe in any way the character of the questions investigated."
Richard Feynman
The Quantum Universe has a quotation from me in every chapter — but it's a damn good book anyway.”
Richard Feynman



HoustonDavid
Posts: 1222
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:20 am
Location: Houston, Texas, USA

Re: Without Further Hashing my Family Skeletons, ...

Post by HoustonDavid » Tue May 04, 2010 12:10 pm

Proton, how sweet you remembered her story and David (Ross)'s review.
"May You be born in interesting (maybe confusing?) times" - Chinese Proverb (or Curse)

jbuck919
Military Band Specialist
Posts: 26867
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:15 pm
Location: Stony Creek, New York

Re: Without Further Hashing my Family Skeletons, ...

Post by jbuck919 » Tue May 04, 2010 12:11 pm

dulcinea wrote:... what should you do with selfish weak parental units who refuse to accept that you are a grown woman of 55 instead of a child of 5 whose sole reason for existing is to make said parental units forget that their own lives have been 80 wasted years of utter failure, with no achievements, no purpose and no direction--lives that have been as full and rewarding as the life of a rock?
Well don't further hash your family skeletons, or anything.

There's nothing remarkable about it. All one has to do is hit the right keys at the right time and the instrument plays itself.
-- Johann Sebastian Bach

NancyElla
Posts: 659
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:51 pm

Re: Without Further Hashing my Family Skeletons, ...

Post by NancyElla » Tue May 04, 2010 1:07 pm

dulcinea wrote:... what should you do with selfish weak parental units who refuse to accept that you are a grown woman of 55 instead of a child of 5 whose sole reason for existing is to make said parental units forget that their own lives have been 80 wasted years of utter failure, with no achievements, no purpose and no direction--lives that have been as full and rewarding as the life of a rock?
Feel sorry for them, I suppose. And perhaps wonder what happened to make their lives so miserable, and how to prevent it happening to anyone else.
"This is happiness; to be dissolved into something complete and great." --Willa Cather

piston
Posts: 10767
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:50 am

Re: Without Further Hashing my Family Skeletons, ...

Post by piston » Tue May 04, 2010 1:48 pm

Take some distance.
In the eyes of those lovers of perfection, a work is never finished—a word that for them has no sense—but abandoned....(Paul Valéry)

HoustonDavid
Posts: 1222
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:20 am
Location: Houston, Texas, USA

Re: Without Further Hashing my Family Skeletons, ...

Post by HoustonDavid » Tue May 04, 2010 2:03 pm

I am surrounded by people in their '80's here in my subsidized apartment building for "older"
folks who can still take care of themselves, or are still trying. Most of them don't consider
their lives full of achievements, and nowadays they tend to have less purpose and direction
than a few years ago.

But if you get 'em talkin', remembering, reminiscing, they can tell you tales of the Great
Depression when "ya didn't know you was poor"; the Great War when some Daddies didn't
come home; buildin' and raisin' a family; watchin' brother go off to war in Korea; workin' to
take care of the wife and kiddos; waitin' for the phone to ring announcin' a new grandbaby;
seein' the neighborhood get old and neighbors move; movin' out to "new" quarters where
everybody's a stranger; and realizing maybe our kids don't really miss us. Sometimes it's just
as hard and meaningful as bein' a rock. :(
"May You be born in interesting (maybe confusing?) times" - Chinese Proverb (or Curse)

NancyElla
Posts: 659
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:51 pm

Re: Without Further Hashing my Family Skeletons, ...

Post by NancyElla » Tue May 04, 2010 2:52 pm

piston wrote:Take some distance.
I second the "distance" motion. Given the harm they have done you in the past, I think you owe it to yourself to keep yourself out of harm's way as much as you can, even now.
"This is happiness; to be dissolved into something complete and great." --Willa Cather

dulcinea
Posts: 3466
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:39 pm
Location: tampa, fl

Re: Without Further Hashing my Family Skeletons, ...

Post by dulcinea » Tue May 04, 2010 3:30 pm

NancyElla wrote:
piston wrote:Take some distance.
I second the "distance" motion. Given the harm they have done you in the past, I think you owe it to yourself to keep yourself out of harm's way as much as you can, even now.
My mother is actually a sweet woman, but unfortunately she is so weak willed that she has allowed others to determine how she should live her life. She wanted to be a librarian, but allowed herself to be talked into being a teacher instead, a job for which she was not qualified and which brought her nothing but disappointment and frustration which climaxed in a depression that went untreated for several years. As for my stepfather, he is truly the runt of his family; unlike several of his 11 siblings, who are talented people with powerful personalities, he is a total nonentity with no intelligence, no culture, no sensibility, no integrity, no courage and no understanding of the big things of the universe--the kind of people priests have in mind when they preach that, without vision, the people perish.
I pray for the day when Mama can live with me, finally free of the influence of her poorly chosen husband; then she will be truly loved, instead of being exploited by the malicious and cynical manipulation of her weaknesses.
Let every thing that has breath praise the Lord! Alleluya!

Proton
Posts: 218
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:10 am
Location: 40° 49' 36.97"N 73° 55' 42.21"W

Re: Without Further Hashing my Family Skeletons, ...

Post by Proton » Tue May 04, 2010 5:07 pm

dulcinea wrote:
NancyElla wrote:
piston wrote:Take some distance.
I second the "distance" motion. Given the harm they have done you in the past, I think you owe it to yourself to keep yourself out of harm's way as much as you can, even now.
My mother is actually a sweet woman, but unfortunately she is so weak willed that she has allowed others to determine how she should live her life. She wanted to be a librarian, but allowed herself to be talked into being a teacher instead, a job for which she was not qualified and which brought her nothing but disappointment and frustration which climaxed in a depression that went untreated for several years. As for my stepfather, he is truly the runt of his family; unlike several of his 11 siblings, who are talented people with powerful personalities, he is a total nonentity with no intelligence, no culture, no sensibility, no integrity, no courage and no understanding of the big things of the universe--the kind of people priests have in mind when they preach that, without vision, the people perish.
I pray for the day when Mama can live with me, finally free of the influence of her poorly chosen husband; then she will be truly loved, instead of being exploited by the malicious and cynical manipulation of her weaknesses.

I owe you an apology for cheap shot that I took upthread; it was uncalled for. I don't know
your history, nor is it any of my business, so I should not presume any further to offer
up any unsolicited advice.

Allow me to say, though, from personal experience, that anger is a very powerful
corrosive, very much like a strong acid and can cause significant damage to the
vessel in which it is kept.

I do hope that things eventually work out for the better.

Be well. Be peaceful. Be happy.


"A lie can run around the world before the truth can get its boots on."
James Watt

“No government has the right to decide on the truth of scientific principles, nor to prescribe in any way the character of the questions investigated."
Richard Feynman
The Quantum Universe has a quotation from me in every chapter — but it's a damn good book anyway.”
Richard Feynman



Madame
Posts: 3552
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2005 2:56 am

Re: Without Further Hashing my Family Skeletons, ...

Post by Madame » Tue May 04, 2010 11:38 pm

Proton wrote:
Allow me to say, though, from personal experience, that anger is a very powerful
corrosive, very much like a strong acid and can cause significant damage to the
vessel in which it is kept.

Excellent - I heard a variation which said it destroys the vessel in which it is stored, rather than the one over whom it is poured. Or holding on to bitterness and unforgiveness is like drinking poison in front of your enemy hoping he'll die.

I do hope that things eventually work out for the better.

Be well. Be peaceful. Be happy.
Amen

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 20 guests