How Is Everybody Celebrating Thanksgiving...

Discuss whatever you want here ... movies, books, recipes, politics, beer, wine, TV ... everything except classical music.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Cosima___J

How Is Everybody Celebrating Thanksgiving...

Post by Cosima___J » Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:08 pm

... if you are an American?

I just put the finishing touches on an exquisite pumpkin cheesecake. The turkey I can take or leave, but the rest of the household insists on that traditional main course. What I don't like or have good luck with is making the gravy (got a couple of jars of store bought turkey gravy, just in case). I love dressing. I start with Stove Top stuffing mix and add some other good stuff like dried cranberries and raisins etc.

But most important, I am truly thankful for all of the blessings I enjoy.

Anybody going to grandma's house for dinner?

Barry

Re: How Is Everybody Celebrating Thanksgiving...

Post by Barry » Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:16 pm

Wish I had a grandma left to visit!
But I'll happily settle for going to my mother and step-father's home, as I do every year. It's the biggest day of the year for my family. We always have a big crowd of close family friends.
"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea; but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee." - Abraham Lincoln

"Although prepared for martyrdom, I preferred that it be postponed." - Winston Churchill

"Before I refuse to take your questions, I have an opening statement." - Ronald Reagan

http://www.davidstuff.com/political/wmdquotes.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pbp0hur ... re=related

Werner
CMG's Elder Statesman

Post by Werner » Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:20 pm

We're doing it the other way round - a long drive to see three generations - Donald''s brother and his son, grandhild, and assorted relatives. As Donald (who will do the driving) puts it, we're really going to grandpa's house - just not our grandpa. They live too far away for us to get together as often as we'd like, so this is a long and fond tradition. A big family day for us, too.
Werner Isler

Agnes Selby
Author of Constanze Mozart's biography

Post by Agnes Selby » Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:09 pm

Werner wrote:We're doing it the other way round - a long drive to see three generations - Donald''s brother and his son, grandhild, and assorted relatives. As Donald (who will do the driving) puts it, we're really going to grandpa's house - just not our grandpa. They live too far away for us to get together as often as we'd like, so this is a long and fond tradition. A big family day for us, too.
Have a good time Werner, and please remind your "grandpa" son and his
lovely wife to come and visit us again in Australia.

Jean

Post by Jean » Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:30 am

Wishing you all a very Happy Thanksgiving!

I'm going to my son's home. Last year, he and his girlfriend, claimed the holiday as theirs to host.
I'm contributing the stuffing (full of mushrooms, celery, onions, sausage, and my secret ingredient, brandy) and a homemade lemon chiffon pie (sooo yummy).

I always remember the very first Thanksgiving dinner I cooked (30 yrs ago). The gravy came out perfect tasting, but wasn't quite as brown as I would have liked. No stores were open and I didn't have any of my magic gravy master. So... I figured red and green on the color whele are supposed to make brown and I went to town with my food coloring drops. Well, the taste was great...if you could stomach that it was the color of spinach!

Travel safe if you are driving.
Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be spirit of tolerance in the entire population. - Albert Einstein

I haven't got the slightest idea how to change people, but still I keep a long list of prospective candidates just in case I should ever figure it out - David Sedaris (Naked)

John F

Post by John F » Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:44 am

A friend is coming up from Washington DC to do the New York museums, and we'll go out for Thanksgiving dinner. My candidate is the Brick Lane Curry House, which has a one-day-only special menu of classic Indian dishes made with turkey. But she hasn't decided yet.
John Francis

living_stradivarius

Post by living_stradivarius » Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:51 am

I'm away from home so it will be a long distance phone call.
Didn't have plans but my orchestra conductor is in town and invited everyone to his place :D

piston

Post by piston » Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:54 am

I guess we're the only hosts to have posted here, Cosima! After all, it is the expected function of all grand-parents with little grand children.
Unsure as to how many will show up - it's always the number one variable, isn't it? But I get the feeling that, with the Patriots playing against Detroit, it could be crowded here.
Spent yesterday running errands and cleaning house. Did a big bowl of cranberry sauce. Big Bird is thawed.
Today? Well, I think you know what!
In the eyes of those lovers of perfection, a work is never finished—a word that for them has no sense—but abandoned....(Paul Valéry)

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:09 am

>Anybody going to grandma's house for dinner?<

No we're going to our Brooklyn friend's house for the annual turkey dinner--a lot of people we haven't seen in a while so there's a lot to catch up on! Regards, Len