Student of World War 2 history?

Discuss whatever you want here ... movies, books, recipes, politics, beer, wine, TV ... everything except classical music.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

smitty1931

Student of World War 2 history?

Post by smitty1931 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:04 am

I recommend the book "Choices Under Fire" by Michael Bess. It's subtitle is Moral Dimensions of World War II. Critics raved about it's insights into the war. The chapter on the battle of Midway is marvelous and very touching. One of the best books I have ever read on the war. Should be required reading in any class on American History.

dulcinea

Re: Student of World War 2 history?

Post by dulcinea » Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:40 pm

smitty1931 wrote:I recommend the book "Choices Under Fire" by Michael Bess. It's subtitle is Moral Dimensions of World War II. Critics raved about it's insights into the war. The chapter on the battle of Midway is marvelous and very touching. One of the best books I have ever read on the war. Should be required reading in any class on American History.
THE war? WWII ended 66 yrs ago, and the only people with a living memory of it are old and on the brink of death. Considering the many MANY wars that have happened since 1945, 'tis no longer proper to refer to WWII as THE war.
Let every thing that has breath praise the Lord! Alleluya!

living_stradivarius

Post by living_stradivarius » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:30 pm

thanks for the book recommendation!

Febnyc

Post by Febnyc » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:45 pm

dulcinea wrote: THE war? WWII ended 66 yrs ago, and the only people with a living memory of it are old and on the brink of death. Considering the many MANY wars that have happened since 1945, 'tis no longer proper to refer to WWII as THE war.
Ummm - I beg your pardon. I remember the war (not THE war as you have, most incorrectly, excerpted from the first post) and I can assure you that I am nowhere near "the brink of death." What a ridiculous and callous assertion at any rate.

Thanks to smitty1931 for the interesting recommendation.

Donald Isler

Post by Donald Isler » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:14 pm

And we even have at least one member participating on the board here who fought in "the" war. So it's not so "past tense" for everybody.
Donald Isler

Cosima___J

Post by Cosima___J » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:48 pm

Has the U.S. ever been involved in a war as momentuous and widespread over the face of the earth as World War II ? I can't think of any. To me, though I was not born yet at the time, WWII will always be THE war. I'm not ready to dismiss it just because there have, unfortunately, been a number of other wars since then. Let's keep things in perspective.

Agnes Selby
Author of Constanze Mozart's biography

Post by Agnes Selby » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:20 pm

smitty1931 wrote:I recommend the book "Choices Under Fire" by Michael Bess. It's subtitle is Moral Dimensions of World War II. Critics raved about it's insights into the war. The chapter on the battle of Midway is marvelous and very touching. One of the best books I have ever read on the war. Should be required reading in any class on American History.
Thank you, Smitty. I have ordered the book 10 minutes ago from my local
bookstore.

Agnes Selby
Author of Constanze Mozart's biography

Post by Agnes Selby » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:40 pm

dulcinea wrote:
THE war? WWII ended 66 yrs ago, and the only people with a living memory of it are old and on the brink of death. Considering the many MANY wars that have happened since 1945, 'tis no longer proper to refer to WWII as THE war.
Over 60 million people died during World War II. I suggest that before you spout any
opinions about its significance, you brush up on your knowledge of history.
Besides, I know many people who are alive and well who lived and fought
during The War still with their mental capacity intact. Your statement is out
of line, uninformed and insensitive to people who fought in World War II.

dulcinea

Post by dulcinea » Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:00 am

Agnes Selby wrote:
dulcinea wrote:
Over 60 million people died during World War II. I suggest that before you spout any
opinions about its significance, you brush up on your knowledge of history.
Besides, I know many people who are alive and well who lived and fought
during The War still with their mental capacity intact. Your statement is out
of line, uninformed and insensitive to people who fought in World War II.
I served in the PR National Guard 1972-76 as my contribution to Viet Nam. Considering the many out of line, uninformed and insensitive statements I hear about that war, my concern is with that war and the others that came after instead of a war that ended nine years before I was born.
How many here give a darn about the fact that too many in Russia still think that they live in the time of Dzhugachvili and therefore feel entitled to bully their former colonies?
Let every thing that has breath praise the Lord! Alleluya!