Windows 8.1 Updates

Discuss whatever you want here ... movies, books, recipes, politics, beer, wine, TV ... everything except classical music.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

lennygoran

Windows 8.1 Updates

Post by lennygoran » Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:52 am

With my windows 8.1 my updates look like this-any thoughts on whether to change to let me decide as opposed to having them update everything automatically? Regards, Len

John F

Re: Windows 8.1 Updates

Post by John F » Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:26 pm

Let it be automatic. We don't know enough to decide not to accept an update, so leave it to Microsoft.
John Francis

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:45 am

John F wrote:Let it be automatic. We don't know enough to decide not to accept an update, so leave it to Microsoft.
Thanks-btw still can't get rid of that darn icon on the task bar reminding me about getting Windows 10-fortunately the windows 8.1 is still acting pretty nice but I can't help but think Microsoft is doing things in the background? Regards, Len :(

John F

Post by John F » Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:45 am

What do you mean, "doing things in the background"? Of course Windows is doing things in the background to keep your computer working, that's its job. You don't want Windows doing things in the foreground!
John Francis

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:51 am

John F wrote:What do you mean, "doing things in the background"? Of course Windows is doing things in the background to keep your computer working, that's its job. You don't want Windows doing things in the foreground!
I mean the windows 10 update--I am afraid they're fiddling around with this window 10 stuff-I never should have accepted the offer to reserve that update. First they scare me into getting Windows 8.1 because they won't support XP anymore which I loved-now I get windows 8.1 which is quite nice and just a year later they're trying to sneak windows 10 on to my new lenovo. I admit I could be be off with this assessment. Regards, Len :(

John F

Post by John F » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:45 am

Why should you be afraid? You didn't have to accept their offer to get Windows 10, and if you hadn't, you wouldn't be getting these reminders to go ahead and do it. You also say you let yourself be scared into leaving Windows XP for Win 8.1, but you didn't have to do that either - I didn't, and the sky hasn't fallen yet. There's absolutely no reason for you to imagine that Microsoft's reminder to complete your move to Win10 is anything more than that - a reminder. But you can Google on the wording of the message to see if there's any talk about it on the Internet.
John Francis

Febnyc

Post by Febnyc » Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:52 pm

Remove the Windows 10 "advertisement" thusly:

If you are not interested in Windows 10, you can remove this program from your PC. Go to Windows Update->Installed update, remove KB3035583. Also, you need to hide the update again in windows updates to prevent it from auto installing again since this is marked “important”.

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:01 pm

John F wrote:Why should you be afraid? You didn't have to accept their offer to get Windows 10, and if you hadn't, you wouldn't be getting these reminders to go ahead and do it. You also say you let yourself be scared into leaving Windows XP for Win 8.1, but you didn't have to do that either - I didn't, and the sky hasn't fallen yet.
Yes you're right-I didn't have to and shouldn't have accepted their offer-people here said it went smoothly-lucky them! As for my new computer which happens to have 8.1-it sure beats the XP dell I've had for 9 years-the speed, the size of the screen-mind you the Dell sits right next to the Lenovo and does get use from time to time. Regards, Len

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:26 pm

Febnyc wrote:Remove the Windows 10 "advertisement" thusly:

If you are not interested in Windows 10, you can remove this program from your PC. Go to Windows Update->Installed update, remove KB3035583. Also, you need to hide the update again in windows updates to prevent it from auto installing again since this is marked “important”.
Thanks, hope this works-I found KB3035583 and uninstalled it-then I changed the setting for it so nothing gets updated or installed without me being notified first. Right off the bat it's no longer on the task bar. Regards, Len

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:30 am

Febnyc wrote:If you are not interested in Windows 10, you can remove this program from your PC. Go to Windows Update->Installed update, remove KB3035583. Also, you need to hide the update again in windows updates to prevent it from auto installing again since this is marked “important”.[/i]
Today I turned on my computer and things worked as you said it would-thanks! Just hope that continues and for now I'm rid of Windows 10 pestering me. Regards, Len

Febnyc

Post by Febnyc » Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:12 pm

lennygoran wrote:
Febnyc wrote:If you are not interested in Windows 10, you can remove this program from your PC. Go to Windows Update->Installed update, remove KB3035583. Also, you need to hide the update again in windows updates to prevent it from auto installing again since this is marked “important”.[/i]
Today I turned on my computer and things worked as you said it would-thanks! Just hope that continues and for now I'm rid of Windows 10 pestering me. Regards, Len
You've correctly removed the update and so the tray icon will not appear. You should have no recurring problem with this one.

And, it's a good idea to have Windows ask you before downloading and installing updates, rather than allowing automatic installation. There is, for instance, a "malicious software removal tool" which appears periodically. This is a useless application, especially if you have a separate security software such as Norton or McAfee. So, when you are asked to choose updates you can decline this one for sure.

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:22 pm

Febnyc wrote: And, it's a good idea to have Windows ask you before downloading and installing updates, rather than allowing automatic installation.
Thanks so much-this is exactly what I did-my computer is working the same way as when I bought it-so smoothe, so fast--what a mistake for me to have tried the download so early in the game-eventually I may go for it but for now it's windows 8.1! Regards, Len :)